• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bro Science

To be honest I really dislike the term bro science and am pretty sick of hearing it.
It's been so over used that it's simply just used now when you disagree with someone's view or opinion.

agree Darkman ... it actually devalues science and i really dislike that.

would be nice if people applied some good sense and the KISS principle.

keep. it. simple. :)

Context. Everything is taken out of context and the fundamentals are actually over-looked in favour for the protocols which are used to impliment the fundamentals.

At the end of the day, regardless of the protocol used it is the fundamentals (calroies, macro balance, training stimulus) that are working and the protocol used is of personal preference.

And of course changing from one protocol to the next takes times to adjust as certain hormonals are functioning based on the habitual cycle currently in place. So they will and do adjust to the new cycle in time and you function just as well as you did before, if not better in some cases.

I personally went from 6-8 meals a day to the current 1 meal a day protocol, one simply to prove a point that the science is actually ture and correct and the other because it suits my schedule better (personal preference). And the same with training, I was always an afternoon trainer but now train at 5-6am (fasted etc) and have not trained better ever! But again it took some adjusting to, common sense should say that is just normal.

Studies can certainly show cases for bothsides of the arguement, but it is when you can actually read the study, look at the methods and subjects used, biases and in CONTEXT etc etc if the actual conclusion is justified or not. Case in point, a study on pubmed comparing 2 protein powders. They had exactly they same ingredience, macro balance, cals etc etc and taken at the same time etc etc. One was from Gaspari Nutrition and one was just no branded etc. Well low and behold the Gaspari one resulted in significant positive results....See what I'm saying :) So that arguement of you can get a study to prove anything right is also flawed just like the usual reasonings behind the ''bro-science'' protocols.

Thanks Max. I have a better understanding of the whole bro science movement now. I think it has been hijacked like Darkoz said but people tend to do that when they get enthusiastic.

I haven't ever experimented with different protocols in the past but I can believe that physiological responses would adapt in time to normalise results.

Personal preference is fine, I have a few of those myself. I now train in the am too and I never thought I could but it doesn't seem to affect strength like I expected. I won't be trying 1 meal a day any time soon though.

Interesting topic.

I've never said anyone HAS to eat one or 2 meals or whatever, just that you don't HAVE to eat 6+ to get results.

I've done both and had good results both ways. My N=1 study just proved to me that it doesn't matter if I eat one meal or 8, what does matter is that I hit my macros.

Remember:
The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

CCM: re the listening to you're body thing. Can be good idea and also bad. Look at those who struggle to put on weight and think they're eating a heap of food. They're listening to their bodies hunger signals when in actual fact if they want to gain weight, disregard hunger and just eat more. Same goes for overweight people trying to lose weight. They generally became overweight because of listening to their bodies. If you are in tune with it, then yeah it works fine :)

just gonna throw this out there but of all the journals/blogs of guys doing promoting IF that ive read im yet to see one that built their body with IF they all seem to be guys that started on "bro science" diet/training built great bodies and then switched to IF as its become popular and then claim IF trumps 6 meals a day. for the record im a daily macros guy, i aim for my macros regardless of how many meals i eat or when i eat them.

CCM: re the listening to you're body thing. Can be good idea and also bad. Look at those who struggle to put on weight and think they're eating a heap of food. They're listening to their bodies hunger signals when in actual fact if they want to gain weight, disregard hunger and just eat more. Same goes for overweight people trying to lose weight. They generally became overweight because of listening to their bodies. If you are in tune with it, then yeah it works fine :)

hey!! Oi!!! Oi!!!! :)

you know I've been force feeding myself like a pig being fattened for the BBQ!!! I eat till I practically gag every day...but adapting to it quite well.
:D:D

I just have no idea honestly how much in terms of kCals and macros I should be eating aside from the >= 2g/kg for protein (I aim for 2-3). Other than that....I just shovel it down...low carb until evening then more carbs. Easier to eat more that way.

I just have no idea honestly how much in terms of kCals and macros I should be eating aside from the >= 2g/kg for protein (I aim for 2-3). Other than that....I just shovel it down...low carb until evening then more carbs. Easier to eat more that way.

Hi viv..

Are you trying to gain weight???

Do you count your calories?

If you do.... The solution is simple to gain weight...

Increase your daily calorie intake by 10%... And wait
2 weeks... If weight does not change after 2 weeks... Jump intake by 10% again...

Wait 2 weeks between changes to gauge effect...

You can moderate calorie intake up and down dependant on what your seeking to achieve... Very quickly you will figure out where your maintenance level is...

My apologies if you where already aware of this...:cool::cool::cool:

Hi viv..

2 weeks... If weight does not change after 2 weeks... Jump intake by 10% again...

You can moderate calorie intake up and down dependant on what your seeking to achieve... Very quickly you will figure out where your maintenance level is...

She trolls my FB page daily...she is fully aware my man! " :D

Hi viv..

don't apologise...yeah, I've been doing that but I found counting the kcals was detrimental. It's OK if I do it once in a while as a "sanity check". I eat more if I don't count :)

I've been increasing the amount of cals but have found it hard to force myself to eat when the appetite regulator kicks in. Much better now that I save most of the carbs for later in the day. Seems to work better for me. i eat pretty healthy (i hate the word clean) 90% of the time so it's volume ... eek.
Already seeing some progress so YAY!!

don't apologise...yeah, I've been doing that but I found counting the kcals was detrimental. It's OK if I do it once in a while as a "sanity check". I eat more if I don't count :)

I've been increasing the amount of cals but have found it hard to force myself to eat when the appetite regulator kicks in. Much better now that I save most of the carbs for later in the day. Seems to work better for me. i eat pretty healthy (i hate the word clean) 90% of the time so it's volume ... eek.
Already seeing some progress so YAY!!

Awesome... I particularly like the fact your doing what works for you....