• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Caffeine

For oliver........
Don't drink, smoke, or do drugs? Think you've got no vices? Think again. If you drink coffee, tea, cola or indulge in the occasional piece of chocolate, then you're using a drug. Believe it or not, caffeine has the same pharmacological effects on the body as many of the substances we associate with doing harm. Of course, coffee is so well integrated into our culinary culture that we barely give its health effects a second thought.
Apart from being highly addictive and causing unpleasant withdrawal symptoms if we stop drinking it suddenly, research shows that even a little bit of coffee may reduce fertility by damaging sperm. It's also bad news if you're pregnant. Caffeine seems to affect the amount of time the baby spends resting, which could lead to abnormal behaviour later on.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][Stephen A. Cherniske is a renowned health educator. With a bachelor's degree from the State University of New York at Albany and a master's degree in nutrition from Columbia Pacific University, Mr. Cherniske has over 30 years of clinical, research and teaching experience. His latest book, Caffeine Blues, is a must reading for all health seekers.][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Caffeine Blues[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] is not a bad-news book.
The bad news is what happens if you DON'T read it. Caffeine is an addictive drug that contributes to a long list of disease. The book provides the information you need to avoid those health problems. Such as anxiety, insomnia, panic attacks, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, eye and vision problems gastrointestinal disease, miscarriage, etc.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. The Caffeine Cover-up.
This critical information is not provided by the caffeine industry. In fact, they're working overtime to make sure you DON'T learn about caffeine's proven deleterious effects.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Informed Choice.
I'm not saying that everyone should stop drinking coffee, tea and soft drinks. Rather I believe that people should make informed choices, and until this book was published, that was impossible to do. The book provides an easy quiz to enable the reader to determine, first of all, how much caffeine they are consuming in a day. Usually people are shocked. Next, the book provides a clear and easy way to evaluate how that quantity of caffeine may be harming you. And third, the book provides an easy and painless program for reducing or eliminating your intake of caffeine.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446673919/qid=961343629/103-2662777-6929445
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Caffeine DOES NOT give you energy.
This is the greatest myth that has been perpetuated by the caffeine industry. Scientifically, you cannot measure any increase in energy provided by caffeine. You can measure higher levels of stress, as evidenced by spikes in stress hormones, elevations in blood pressure and heart rate, but no one would claim that these are positive benefits.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. There ARE ways to increase your body's production of energy.
This has been my special area of research for 20 years (including years on the faculty of the American College of Sports Medicine, and advisor to the U.S. Olympic Team). Caffeine Blues includes this breakthrough material so that readers can begin to experience greater levels of health, energy and vitality at any age and in any condition.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Caffeine DOES NOT improve learning or memory.
In fact the exact opposite is true. I have scientific studies showing that caffeine as normally consumed can reduce cerebral flow by as much as 30%. That means less oxygen to the brain and reduced memory and cognition.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Caffeine DOES NOT give you a lift.
Caffeine is referred to as a mood elevator but this is inaccurate. If you take a person who doesn't drink caffeine and give them some, it doesn't elevate their mood. It makes them uncomfortable and tense. In habitual users, caffeine appears to elevate mood, but research clearly illustrates that it's simply enabling them to avoid the depression and fatigue associated with withdrawal. It's a classic addiction scenario. If you deprive a smoker of their cigarettes, they feel miserable. You give them a cigarette, they feel much better. Does that mean cigarettes give you a lift, or are somehow good for you?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Women's Health.
Caffeine is far more damaging to women, and Caffeine Blues contains an entire chapter devoted to women's health issues. It Highlights the effects of caffeine on bone mass and fracture risk, heart disease, anxiety and panic attack, menopause, PMS, anemia, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, depression, fertility and conception disorders and complications of pregnancy and childbirth.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Children's Health.
Increasingly, children are becoming the primary target market for the caffeine industry. The strategy? Addict them at an early age in order to gain life-long customs. Caffeine Blues uncovers the darker side of this industry, as it markets products with ever-increasing amounts of caffeine in ever-increasing serving sizes. It explains how soft-drink companies ignored congress, health departments and medical associations and went directly for the promised land of market share: the schools. Today, in direct defiance of USDA guidelines, soft drink machines line the halls, cafeterias and walkways of schools from coast to coast. It is a matter of great urgency, and the health and welfare of an entire generation is at stake.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Ecology: pesticides, rain forest destruction and land use issues.
Coffee is the largest agricultural commodity in the world. More coffee is grown and traded than wheat rice, corn or livestock. More than fruit, vegetables or any staple of the diet, COFFEE is number one. In fact, it's the third leading commodity after petroleum and strategic metals. More than automobiles, steel, and technology. Add all of those together and it couldn't touch coffee. Why? Because coffee is addictive.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There's another problem. Coffee is also the most heavily sprayed of all agricultural commodities. It is grown in regions where there are very few restrictions, regulations or protections regarding pesticide use. The environmental impact is tremendous. Coffee doesn't grow in Kansas, it grows in and around the rain forest. In fact, rain forest has been destroyed to plant coffee farms. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The fact is that coffee is a terribly inefficient and incredibly labor-intensive crop. Coffee is the seed of a cherry from a tree. Coffee cherries ripen at different times, so they have to be picked by hand. It takes approximately 2,000 Arabica cherries to produce just one pound of roasted coffee. Since each cherry contains two beans, your one pound of coffee is derived from 4,000 coffee beans. The average coffee tree only produces one to two pounds of mastered coffee per year and takes four to five years to produce its first crop. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do the math. The world demand is 6 billion kg per year. That's 13 billion pounds. If the average tree produces one to two pounds of roasted coffee per year, this 13 billion pounds of coffee requires at least 7 billion coffee trees. The average farmer gets about 100 trees per acre, which means that 70 million acres of the most fertile land on this planet is devoted entirely to growing a product with no nutritional value; one that actually has proven and significant anti-nutrient properties, that is addictive and that contributes to a long list of disease states. [/FONT]

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd try a little expirement and forego my morning coffee today and see what happened. Short answer, I feel like sh!t. I have a stomping headache and slight neausea. I keep calling my workmates by their wrong name and find myself staring off into the distance on no fixed point before I snap out of it. It took me twice as long to write this post as normal, correcting all the typos and spelling mistakes as I went. I'm bumping into walls and my muscles are sore (but maybe that's just squat doms ;) ).

Maybe I should just have a crappy instant coffee to get rid of this headache.

This sucks.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd try a little expirement and forego my morning coffee today and see what happened. Short answer, I feel like sh!t. I have a stomping headache and slight neausea. I keep calling my workmates by their wrong name and find myself staring off into the distance on no fixed point before I snap out of it. It took me twice as long to write this post as normal, correcting all the typos and spelling mistakes as I went. I'm bumping into walls and my muscles are sore (but maybe that's just squat doms ;) ).

Maybe I should just have a crappy instant coffee to get rid of this headache.

This sucks.

Cheers,
Mike

You wouldnt stop heroin cold turkey... Wein yourself off mate, set yourself a daily limit then every seocnd day take 2 out.. Make coffees half strength. Good luck

Caffeine Induced Anaphylaxis, A Progressive Toxic Dementia
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Copyright 2002 Ruth Whalen, MLT, ASCP. Reprinted with permission of the author.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Email: Tenpaisleypark@hotmail.com [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Cerebral allergy is an allergy to a substance, which targets vulnerable brain tissue and alters brain function. Masked cerebral allergy can cause symptoms of mental illness (Walker, 1996; Rippere, 1984; Sheinken et al., 1979). Symptoms range from minimal reactions to severe psychotic states, which may include irrational behavior, disruptions in attention, lack of focus and comprehension, mood changes, lack of organizational skills, abrupt shifting of activities, delusions, hallucinations, and paranoia (Sheinken et al., 1979; McManamy et al., 1936).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]An allergic reaction to caffeine manifests as anaphylaxis (Przybilla et al., 1983). During a state of caffeine anaphylaxis, the body enters the fight or flight mode, which may be mistaken as hyperactivity, anxiety, or panic disorder. Caffeine anaphylaxis causes cerebral vasculitis, leads to the breakdown of the blood brain barrier, and generates toxic dementia.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Toxic dementia induced by a stimulant or other toxin affects function of all brain areas (Jacques, 1992). Several signs of toxic dementia are memory impairment, deterioration of social and intellectual behavior, and attention deficits (Allen et al., 2001; Jacques, 1992; Headlee, 1948).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), assumed to affect children, (though of late, adult onset ADD is grabbing a slice of the pie of psychiatric disorders), is indistinguishable from caffeine allergy. Claudia Miller, M.D. stresses that a chemical sensitivity, which includes caffeine as a chemical capable of inducing sensitivity, can induce attention deficits with hyperactivity (Miller, 1997).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Deteriorating intellect, the first stage of caffeine induced allergic toxicity masquerades as ADD. Inability to concentrate, lack of comprehension, lack of focus, hyperactivity, delusions, and disorganized thought processes are hallmark signs of caffeine allergy. An allergic reaction to caffeine results in poisoning of the prefrontal cortex. Damage to the underside area on the prefrontal cortex, above the eye sockets, generally renders a person absent minded and interferes with the ability to monitor personal activities (Carter, 1998). Injury results in loss of verbal and social inhibition, interferes with focus and memory (Eliot, 1999), and suppresses math skills (Carter, 1998).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]In studies involving comprehension skills, as in mathematics and logical reasoning, caffeine has either exhibited no change, or has actually depleted performance (Braun, 1997). Caffeine may jeopardize math skills and detailed projects, which require additional thought (Serafin, 1996; NTP Chemical, 1991).[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Caffeine anaphylaxis interferes with the ability to focus. Sitting still becomes a project. Raising the catecholamine level, caffeine produces additional dopamine, which increases locomotive movement. Agitation is associated with excess dopamine (Carter, 1998).[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Caffeine causes faster speech and mobility in children (Nehlig et al., 1992). With 80% of the world’s population consuming caffeine, most persons have remained stimulated since childhood. Stimulated adults can’t detect caffeine-induced changes in themselves or in children. Misjudging a child’s natural state, adults assume children should speak and act at the same rate as stimulated adults. People forget that we are born relaxed. Acceleration of speech and action indicates mania (Victor et al., 2001; Restak, 1984), associated with bipolar affective disorder. Manic symptoms affect children. Psychiatrically hospitalized manic children display symptoms of ADD (Carlson et al., 1998).[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Complaints of lack of focus, failing memory, and other mental abnormalities, signify hypomania, a lesser degree of mania (Victor, 2001), which accompanies the first stage of ongoing-caffeine-induced-anaphylaxis-induced fight or flight dementia. Unable to correlate the patient’s complaints with a textbook disorder, physicians assume ADD. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]According to the American Psychiatric Association, which classifies caffeine as a substance, substance intoxication can present with disturbance in thinking, judgment, perception, attention, motor activity, and social functioning (1994). Caffeine toxicity can induce restlessness, agitation, irritability, confusion, and delerium (Steinman, 2001; Fisher Scientific, 1997; Turkington, 1994; Shen et al., 1979). In addition, anaphylaxis can induce delerium (Kaplan, 2000).[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Unlike Stephen Cherniske, aware of instinct warning him that caffeine was affecting his behavior (Cherniske, 1998), a child does not know. A youngster can’t feel the mild stimulant rush because the underdeveloped body has developed a tolerance. Similarly, a toxic adult loses natural insight and can’t recognize caffeine induced intellect and personality changes (Shen, 1979; McManamy, 1936; Crothers, 1902).[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]During partial withdrawal, the body metabolizes some caffeine, saturating cells. Clarity struggles to return. Symptoms of partial withdrawal can overlap traits of poisoning (Strain et al., 1997) and can mimic depression (Hirsch, 1984). As the noradrenaline level diminishes, symptoms of depression set in (Restak, 1994, Ackerman, 1992). Caffeine induced withdrawal depression can manifest as hyperactivity, lethargy, irritability, confusion, and lack of focus. The glucose level, which rises along with adrenaline (Davidson et al., 1969) and remains elevated during the body’s struggle to maintain homeostasis, drops. A decrease in glucose encourages lack of motivation, which may also mimic depression. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]As Allbutt and Dixon stressed, in 1909, regarding caffeine, another “dose of the poison” provides minor relief, but continues to jeopardize organs (1909). A return to caffeine intake increases noradrenaline, heightening the fight or flight response. In turn, adrenaline, dopamine, and glucose increase, thus lifting depression. With continued substance exposure, toxins accumulate (Van Winkle, 2000).[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Caffeine allergy is a deceptive allergy. Ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis reduces allergic inflammation and maintains organ stimulation. Endogenous glucocorticoids (including cortisol) inhibit inflammation (Claman, 1983). Theophylline is the principle therapy for asthma. All forms of theophylline maintain open bronchial passages, allowing for easier breathing. During ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis, airways remain open. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Adrenaline, the drug of choice for anaphylaxis, is always present in a caffeine consumer. By suppressing phosphodiesterase release, caffeine (Davidson, 1969) increases cyclic AMP. Excess amounts of cyclic AMP inhibit histamine production (Dykewicz, 2001; Ernst et al., 1999). Phosphodiesterase inhibitors inhibit histamine release (Raderer et al., 1995). [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Cyclic AMP is increased in patients diagnosed as schizophrenic and many individuals diagnosed with affective disorders (Nishino et al., 1993; Erban et al., 1980; Biederman et al., 1977). Histamine is reduced in persons diagnosed with schizophrenia, a late stage of ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Although the histamine level is low in schizophrenics (Malek-Ahmadi et al., 1976; Hoffer et al., 1967), schizophrenic patients exhibit a marked tolerance to histamine (Lea, 1955). This suggests, in the case of caffeine anaphylaxis, that during the onset stage of schizophrenia, when anaphylaxis induced hyperactivity, or anaphylaxis induced panic symptoms were mistaken as ADD, anxiety, or panic, (before continued cerebral poisoning), histamine was increased but the allergy went undetected.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Symptoms of allergic anxiety (Bonner, 2000; Kaplan, 2000; Walsh, 2000) may be mistaken as anxiety neurosis, considered an onset symptom of schizophrenia. When a young person experiencing a first anxiety episode arrives in an emergency room, doctors suspect a developing schizophrenia (Victor, 2001).[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Attention and memory deficits accompany schizophrenia (Zuffante et al., 2001; Goldberg et al., 1993). Researchers theorize that prior to the onset of schizophrenia changes in a person’s cognition may be subtle (Goldberg, 1993).[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) and other phenothiazine drugs exhibit an anti-histamine effect (Sifton, 1994; Malek-Ahmadi, 1976), similar to diphenhydramine (Benadryl). A person allergic to caffeine, taking a phenothiazine medication, will experience relief of the physical manifestations of ongoing caffeine anaphylaxis. In addition, phenothiazine medications reduce allergic induced abnormal psychological symptoms, including a reduction in paranoia, hallucinations, and delusions, and generate a return of partial insight, focus, and comprehension. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Ongoing caffeine allergy induces a progressive toxic dementia (McManamy, 1936). In a caffeine allergic person, each caffeine or theophylline dose increases toxin accumulation. A buildup of caffeine, which may exceed tolerance level, saturates the ability of metabolism (Carrillo et al., 2000; Nehlig, 1999); rate of drug accumulation exceeds rate of elimination. Introducing a stimulant into a caffeine allergic individual’s system will further poison the frontal cortex and hypothalamus and continue to mask allergic symptoms of caffeine anaphylaxis. Continued stimulant use increases toxic psychosis, which results in decreased affect and deterioration of mental abilities. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]References:[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Ackerman. Sandra. Discovering The Brain. Washington: National Academy Press, 1992.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Allbutt, Clifford T. A System of Medicine. VII. Part I. London: MacMillan, 1909.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Allen, Thomas E., Park, Lee Crandall, Lieberman, Mayer C. and William Wimmer. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]A Primer on Mental Disorders: A Guide for Educators, Families, and Students. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 2001. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fourth Edition. Washington: APA, 1994.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Biederman, J., Rimon, R., Ebstein, R., Belmaker, H., Davidson, J.T. Cyclic AMP in the CSF of patients with schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry, 130 (1977): 64-67.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Bonner, James R. “Drug Allergy” in Cecil Textbook of Medicine. Goldman, Lee and Claude J. Bennett, eds. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 2000.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Braun, Stephen. Buzz: The Science and Lore of Alcohol and Caffeine. New York: Penguin, 1997.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Carlson, G.A., Kelly, K.L. Manic symptoms in psychiatrically hospitalized children---what do they mean? J Affect Disord, 51(1998): 123-135.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Carrillo, J.A., Benitz, J. Clinically significant pharmokinetic interactions between Dietary caffeine and medications. Clin Pharmacokinet, 39 (2000): 127-153.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Carter, Rita. Mapping the Mind. Berkeley, CA.: University of California Press, 1998.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Cherniske, Stephen. Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug. New York: Warner, 1998.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Claman, H.N. Glucocorticosteroids I: anti-inflammatory mechanisms. Hosp Pract, 18 (1983): 123-126.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Crothers, T.D. Morphinism and Narcomanias from other Drugs. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders & Co., 1902.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Davidson, John and John Bernard Henry. Todd-Sanford Clinical Diagnosis by Laboratory Methods. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders, 1969.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Dykewicz, M.S. Anaphylaxis and inflammation. Clin Allergy Immunol, 16 (2001): 401-409.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Eliot, Lise. What’s Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life. New York: Bantam, 1999.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Erban, L., Prokes, J., Richtrova, E. Plasma level of cyclic AMP and mental diseases. Act Nerv Super, 22 (1980): 269-273. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Ernst, M.E., Graber, M.A. Methylxanthine use in anaphylaxis: what does the evidence tell us? Ann Pharmacother, 33(1999): 1001-1004.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Fisher Scientific Corporation. Material Safety Data Sheet: Caffeine. New Jersey: MDL Information Systems, 1997.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Goldberg, T.E., Hyde, T.M., Kleinman, J.E, Weinberger, D.R. Course of schizophrenia: neuropsychological evidence for a static encephalopathy. Schizophr Bull, 19 (1993): 797-804.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Headlee, Raymond. Psychiatry in Nursing. New York: Rhinehart & Company, 1948.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Hirsch, Kenneth. “Central Nervous System Pharmacology of the Dietary Methylxanthines” in The Methylxanthines Beverages and Foods: Chemistry, Consumption, and Health Effects. Spiller, Gene A., ed. New York: Alan R. Liss Inc., 1984.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Hoffer, A. and Osmond, H. The Hallucinogens. New York: Academic Press, 1967.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Jacques, Alan. Understanding Dementia. London: Churchill Livingston, 1992.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Kaplan, Allen, P. “Anaphylaxis” in Cecil Textbook of Medicine. Goldman, Lee and Claude J. Bennett, eds. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 2000.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Lea, A.J. Adrenochrome as the cause of schizophrenia: investigation of some deductions from this hypothesis. J Mental Sci, 101 (1955): 538-547.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Malek-Ahmadi, P., and Fried, F.E. Biochemical correlates of schizophrenia. Compr Psychiatry, 17 (1976): 499-509.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]McManamy, M.C., Schube, P.G. Caffeine intoxication: report of a case the symptoms of which amounted to a psychosis. N Engl J Med, 215 (1936): 616-620.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Miller, C. S. Toxicant-induced loss of tolerance—an emerging theory or disease? Environ Health Perspect, 105 (1997): 445-453.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Nehlig, A., Daval, J., Debry, G. Caffeine and the central nervous system: Mechanisms of action, biochemical, metabolic and psychostimulant effects. Brain Res Rev, 17 (1992): 139-170.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Nehlig, A. Does caffeine lead to psychological dependence? Chemtech, 29 (1999): 30-35.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Nishino, N., Kitamura, N., Hashimoto, T., Kajimoto, Y., Shirai, Y., Murakami, N., Nakai, T., Komure, O., Shirakawa, O., Mita, T., et al. Increase in [3H] cAMP binding sites and decrease in Gi alpha and Go alpha immunoreactivities in left temporal cortices from patients with schizophrenia. Brain Res, 615 (1993): 41-49.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]NTP Chemical Repository. Material Safety Data Sheet: Caffeine. Radian Corporation, 1991. http://157.98.13.224/NTP_Reports/NTP_Chem_H&S/NTP_Chem5/Radian58-08-2.txt. Oct. 2001.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Przybilla, B., Ring, J., Burg, G. [Anaphylaxis following ingestion of coffee, chronic urticaria and analgesics idiosyncrasy.] Hautarzt, 34 (1983): 73-76. National Institutes of Health: Med-Line.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Raderer, I., Haen, E., Schudt, C., Przybilla, B. [Inhibition of histamine liberation in allergic rhinoconjunctivitis in relation to the season.] Wien Med Wochenschr, 145 (1995): 456-8. National Institutes of Health: Med-Line.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Restak, Richard M. Receptors. New York: Bantam Books, 1994.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Rippere, V. Some varieties of food intolerance in psychiatric patients: an overview. Nutr Health, 3(1984): 125-136.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Serafin, William. “Drugs Used in the Treatment of Asthma,” in Goodman and Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. Ninth Edition. Hardman, Joel G., Limbird, Lee E., and Perry B. Molinoff Perry B, eds. New York: Mc-Graw Hill, Health Professions Division, 1996. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Sheinken, David, Michael Schachter and Richard Hutton. The Food Connection: How the Things You Eat Affect the Way You Feel-And What You Can Do About It. New York: Bobbs-Merrill Co., 1979.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Shen, W.W., D'Souza, T.C. Cola-induced psychotic organic brain syndrome: A case report. Rocky Mount Med Journ, 76 (1979): 312-313.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Sifton, David. W, ed. Physicians’ Desk Reference.48th ED. Montvale, New Jersey: Medical Economics Data Production Co., 1994.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Steinman, H. Food Intolerance-Selected Topics 2. Allergy Society of South Africa. <Http://www.allergysa.org/html/caffeine.html>. Oct. 2001.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Strain, E.C., Griffiths, R.R. “Caffeine use disorders” in Psychiatry. V. I. A. Tasman, J. Kay, J.A. Lieberman, eds. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 1997. (Courtesy of Griffiths, R.R.)[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Turkington, Carol. Foreword by Osterhout, Shirley. “Caffeine” in Poisons and Antidotes, 2nd ED. New York: Facts on File, 1994.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Van Winkle, E. The toxic mind: the biology of mental illness and violence. Medical Hypothesis, 55 (2000): 356-368.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Victor, Maurice and Allan Ropper. Adam’s and Victor’s Principles of Neurology. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Walker, Sydney III. A Dose of Sanity: Mind, Medicine, and Misdiagnosis. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1996.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Walsh, William E. The Complete Guide to Understanding and Relieving Your Food Allergies. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2000.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Zuffante, P., Leonard, C.M., Kuldau, J.M., Bauer, R.M., Doty, E.G., Bilder, R.M. Working memory deficits in schizophrenia are not necessarily specific or associated with MRI-based estimates of area 46 volumes. Psychiatry Res, 108 (2001): 187-209.[/FONT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek
Anyone here actually used Jack3d?

I know people who have Shrek and they told me it was like nothing they've tried before. I asked how that was, and was told that they would become another person in the gym; shoulders back, chest out, arms out, ready to fly! So I said why not just have a can of V? I got few surprised looks as if they had no idea it was the 200mg of caffeine shot that have boosted their CNS so much. I left it at that and continued getting my haircut...

I say this to anyone who wishes to dabble with highly caffeinated drinks/powder before a workout; you risk a great injury to your joints if you continue with the caffeine taking pre workout.

Why?

Because caffeine has a PhD in masking the sense of effort and would have you push beyond what your joints are capable of. Please notice I said joints and not muscles here. This puts one on the same level playing field as a steroid taker, especially one who takes steroids that specialise in strength (more than size). The reason for all of this is the fact that joints are forever playing catch up with muscle strength to begin with...they certainly do not need for an athlete to speed the process of muscle strength which would leave the joints way behind in their capability of handling such a heavy load.

Just few thoughts on the subject I thought some may be interested in knowing.

Fadi.

Marzz I'm sure someone who has been lifting for so long may take someone with that experiences opinions lightly but you would be a fool to do so. Collectively there is allot move then 16 years experience on this forum and I don't see many arguments against noob's topics other then denial. I will also say that noobs has lifts that he post in his profile and they are good lifts for someone who has been training that long. That makes me think he is training smart. What are your lifts like after 16 years? The biggest question is how long will you live with the self inflicted abuse of your body? He is only trying to help people.

N00bs, I challenge you to actually prove that caffeine is bad for me.

I already have..

You blatently post the worst diet anyone in the world could eat. Then boast about how you have 4mothers a day.. Is it any wonder you feel like shit and feel like you need caffeine?

Your basically hitting your hand with a hammer then wondering why it hurts then asking me to prove its the hammer that is hurting your hand...

You are ignorant in the matter but blatently dont care about it and that is sad. Your attitude of "look what i eat and drink" resembles a 15yo who thinks he is cool because he smokes and doesnt care about the conseqeuences...

I dont have to prove anything is bad for you. What it is, is what it is and no once can change that...

You're missing the point here.

Whenever you're talking about caffiene being bad you're always referring to evidence elsewhere. This isnt good enough noobs, I want you to show me without referring to anything else, I want to KNOW that what you're saying is correct without reference to something physical.

Last edited:
I dont know the world is round, i just have to believe that it is from documentation as i have never personally travelled in 1 direction and ended up in the same spot... I do not know if the earth revolves around the sun or if the earth is the centre of the universe.. I do not know if america exists or if it is basically like the truman show... People take so many things at face value..

I also dont believe in digestive system.. I have never seen my intenstines so i conclude i have magic pixies that use the food to put intoa fernis and i run like a steam engine..

What you are saying to me is... That if you are smoking a ciggarette right now and you dont have cancer that smoking is healthy and doesnt create problems.

I doubt you are going to spend $240 bucks on a dhea-s and cortisol salivary test to prove to yourself what you are doing has an effect...

Im not missing any point.

Bad bad bad...

Thats why we are trying to educate people..

Educate yourself first Christian, then set up a practice where you can help others.

Imagine my credibilty, ranting like a lunatic, as you are, after 2 years of lifting.

Read your posts first big fella. Read others responses to yourself twice.

Then, try and understand why they respond to you like that.

You havent actually achieved anything yet, as far as I can determine, you may be the unhealthiest guy on here by what you tell us.

Were not all sick big fella, some of us are strong and healthy.

Your intentions are good, but your methods are a disaster, and you cant point to a single sick person you made well, as far as I can tell.

Oliver is a strong young male, stronger and smarter than most. What your saying to him is like me telling a guy with 25" thighs to stop leg pressing coz its shit.

A healthy mind is just as important as a healthy body. Your posts suggest your mind is not as healthy as it could be.

Back off a little, thats what I'd suggest.

Good luck in your further studies.

All you can do is read what you want and choose for yourself.

At the end of the day, n00bs posts, right or wrong make people think, gives them choices.
I love my coffee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Too much coffee for me and I get palpitations, is it the caffeine?
Don't know for sure, maybe a combination of factors.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm gonna start having a coffee every morning at work if I'm tired as ****.. Since I do heavy lifting, I assume it'd just boost my fat burning levels?

Theres a point at which doing everything you say n00bs would become ridiculous, humans survived thousands of years without all the vitamin and mineral supplementation and yes they drank coffee and green tea amongst a whole lot of other crazy stuff and survived. At some point you have to drawn the line where you become too narky about what you put into your body and enjoy yourself, thats the whole point of being here right?