• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Calfs vs Biceps

My calf is also bigger by 2 inches even if I have been working my biceps for awhile now. Maybe this is because of me playing football most of the time and also do a lot of running the last two years.

In 10 years plus of playing football I don't think I have ever seen anyone train anything but arms in the weight room.

So I am guessing where you trained people were running laps and pushing prowlers and doing drills all running on their arms.....no wonder you ended up with so many injuries:rolleyes:

fk me i am all sorts of unproportioned
bis 15 cold flex,
calf 14
head 22
waist 32
chest 42
5'8"

i figured my bis are prett small, as i rarely train them upperarms are well over 60% tricep

when ppl mention high calves or low calves, what does it mean? I understand how it sits on the lower leg but in terms of training, is one more difficult than the other to develop?

It was explained to me this way:
High claf means long tendoen, sorta looks like skinny ankles, harder to build.
Low means the muscle extends further down to the ankle, it is the more desided look for most. Do not confuse this with fat calves.

It was explained to me this way:
High claf means long tendoen, sorta looks like skinny ankles, harder to build.
Low means the muscle extends further down to the ankle, it is the more desided look for most. Do not confuse this with fat calves.

Agree Grunta
High calf insertion means less muscle and longer tendons which makes near impossible to get those bastards to grow to a decent size.

Remember the calf muscle is in fact 2 muscles (Gastrocnemius & Soleus).
The gastro is worked with the leg straight (Standing calf raise, toe presses on the leg press, donkey calf raises). The Soleus is worked with the leg bent (seated calf raise).
Both variants are required for optimal calf development.

Ok bitches and witches? ;)

great, i've got high calves, does that mean i should give up or is there some hope of making them grow?
They'll grow but they will look like shit.

Sorry dude.

Tony Pearson had very high calves but with added mass they were ok. Not great for his size but ok.

images

This photo is deceptive because his toes are pointing out. making the calf more visible.
African_american_bodybuilder_tony_pearson_posing.jpg

I see what u mean Shrek, what about all this stuff about toes pointed in, pointed out, straight ahead with the different exercises, does it make a difference?

I see what u mean Shrek, what about all this stuff about toes pointed in, pointed out, straight ahead with the different exercises, does it make a difference?
NO, well not enough to warrant it.

All i can suggest is to try a few different rep ranges.

medium high and low.
Low: 6-10
Medium: 11-25
High: Up to 100. Yes 100. Calves are stubborn. try everything possible to elicit growth. I even trained them everyday for a while. :D

great, i've got high calves, does that mean i should give up or is there some hope of making them grow?

Hell no, the opposite, train the arse out of them, as they grow (cos you are gonna make them) the ankles will thicken up and improve a little.

LOL I don't think so.
My ankles are as thin as they were at 18. :)
It's more aesthetic to have thin joints anyway.

LOL I don't think so.
My ankles are as thin as they were at 18. :)
It's more aesthetic to have thin joints anyway.

LOL I know what you mean, I have small joints myslef, but have hit calves every second day and found from the calf to my feet every thing has thickened up a little bit, feels alot stronger/steadier, like I have more support and can see the difference.
Found that my hands did the same, def thickened up over the years.

And NO, I haven been topping up with the artaficial GH.