• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Confused Beginner

leachy94

Everywhere i read i hear that you have to eat big to get big, what im confused about is surely if i ate bucket loads of food everyday i would get fat rather than muscly, regardless of whether the calories are coming from foods with a high BV or from macdonalds. I do however understand the 6 meal idea.

thanks guys

Well, eat about 300 calories above your daily recommended amount. This way you will be gaining muscle more then fat. Eat healthy, nutritional food (almonds, fish, chicken, pasta - the list goes on). If you are bulking you are bound to gain fat, but if you do cardio throughout the week you will gain more lean mass.

A good way to tell if you are having good gains if it you are gaining about 1 pound every week. Any more and you are gaining to much fat. If you aren't gaining enough, simply up the calories by 100 or so.

• energy in vs energy out
  • caloric surplus - if energy in > energy out, get overall bigger, + muscle, + fat
  • calorific deficit - if energy in < energy out, get overall smaller, - muscle - fat
Resistance training makes the difference between gaining or maintaining muscle, and not.
  • caloric surplus + sit on couch = +++fat, +muscle (you gain some muscle just from having to drag your bigger body around)
  • caloric surplus + lift weights = +fat, +++muscle (aka "bulking")
  • caloric deficit + sit on couch = -fat, -muscle
  • caloric deficit + lift weights = ---fat, -muscle (aka "cutting")
It can get more complicated than that, but that is about it all for a beginner to weight training. So yes, if you eat bucketloads every day you will get fatter. If you lift heavy, you will gain muscle along with the fat. No, you cannot gain only muscle, sorry. Thus people get into bulking and cutting cycles. Unless you are obese now, bulk first.

Last edited:
Oh I get it kyle. But if two minus will make a plus does that mean that if I sit on the coach with a calorie deficit I will gain muscle?

You read and then hear things, don't believe everything you think.

At 15 just make sure you are eating and sleeping.

Sow your oats through the week and pray for crop failure on Sunday.

Do you like lifting weights?
Posted via Mobile Device

The workout is the key, this becomes clearer as we age.

Do we workout to eat or eat to workout?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes you will Oli, now go sit on the couch and not eat anything and soon you will be HHUUGGEE!!
Posted via Mobile Device

You read and then hear things, don't believe everything you think.

At 15 just make sure you are eating and sleeping.

Sow your oats through the week and pray for crop failure on Sunday.

Do you like lifting weights?
Posted via Mobile Device

hahaha I like that