• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlifting 101

PowerBuilder

Tonight I spend about an hour video taping my box squat & deadlift. Of course using a moderate weight so as not to burn out.

Taping my box squats from the side gave me a really good idea of how my chest needs to look when doing boxless (surely THAT'S not a word) squats, as well as the force from my quads comming up out of the hole.

In terms of the deadlift, I'm a bit unsure of my form. It's great (IMO), but I'd love your opinion on good deadlifting form. I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suVsiztUs_U&feature=channel

Is how he uses his back correct? Should it be somewhat of a striaght inclined line throughout the lift ?

Cheers

YouTube - deadlift 222.5 kg
Is how he uses his back correct? Should it be somewhat of a striaght inclined line throughout the lift ?

Cheers

PowerBuilder,

what you are expecting is a text book perfect technique here and you're right in your expectation. Yes he should have a somewhat straighter back etc. However before replying to your thread here, I went on a search for some heavy deadlifts just to see how some top weights have been lifted by some top lifters. I didn't find a text book perfect lift until the weight drops way down. Have a look at this world record lift here of over a 1000lbs/ 457.5kg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5groVHlMkRE

Was he over the bar chest high back straight. Yes mainly but not fully. He makes the lifter you've presented look perfect in comparison. As long as you know what should be done and I do believe that you do; to me that would be my main concern.

Nick is right in the sense that it's your lift and only your lift that really counts here PB. However I do understand that you want some review on the lifter you've posted. I believe he's a weightlifter to be honest. I've got him featured in my powerclean thread if you want to check him out there. He’s a perfect technician in the powerclean.

Others may have a different point of view than what I've presented here...

Fadi.

This is a local guy, he manages the uni gym were I first started. Not sure of his age but he is up there, I think he competes in the masters games. He is damm big unit.

These lifts are no were near is best, his name is Peter Smith, you can google him.

250kg for reps

270kg x 1

Last edited:
Hey! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I've gone back to doing 50 hour weeks at work. With that & family commitments, surfing the net & replying to posts is a bit tough. I'm still eating & training right, just not comming online.

That deadlift is massive. When I work out how to actually take the vid from my phone to youtube you'll be sure to see how I go. Tho i think i should prolly record a heavier deadlift, as the one ive got on my phone is a little too light & thus too good, if that makes sense?

Thought this would be an appropriate question to raise in this thread...
What other exercises helped you guys get a solid foundation before deadlifting?

I know that Ukrainian Deadlifts are quite popular at PTC. Any other exercises you guys recommend to someone new to deadlifting?

I've read that high rep deadlifts are not recommended, but I think it'd be good to find an exercise I can utilise with high reps.. Maybe UDLs are the only answer, and I guess there are many other ways to do them without KBs.

Cheers.

I just started deadlifting with light weight and increased over time. I had 40kg on the bar at first. Personally I think it is the best way, start light and increase weight as you build strength.

Today for the first time I deadlifted,
20x 20kg (warmup)
5x 40kg
5x 50kg
5x 60kg
5x 70kg
5x 80kg

So I'm topping out slightly over my bodyweight. However, I have squatted up to 70kg and bent over barbell rowed up to 80kg before doing this, so that's got to have been some preparation for me.

Whether it was good idea and too much I'll tell you when I wake up tomorrow, if I feel good it was a good idea, if I'm in agony, it was too much ;)

In the Stronglifts programme they begin you on 40kg for 5 sets of 5, you do it every second workout with three in a week, and in each workout add 5kg. So you're adding 15kg every two weeks, at the end of week 12 you're doing 5 sets of 5 reps of 125kg.

If you're working out on your own, start small and work up. If you have a professional trainer it's a bit different, they can use their judgment to know if you're ready to go faster.

You should be fine Kyle. You will feel it in your lower back, though it will be a nice pain. You know what I mean.

80kg bent row will place much more strain on your lower back than an 80kg deadlift Kyle. You'll be fine.

80kg bent row will place much more strain on your lower back than an 80kg deadlift Kyle. You'll be fine.
Ah but I won't staying at 80kg :D

But today I am fine! Stiff of course but that's expected after any new exercise.

Wide stance PB! Interesting. I have my feet about hip width apart, and my arms straight down from my shoulders; so my knees are inside my arms.

It was actually this article that tipped me over into trying out the deadlifts.

i didnt even notice the stance lol. i have my feet closer together and my hands on the outside of my legs

Sumo deadlift, nice technique, maybe the bar just gets a little too far away from your thighs near the top, but its pretty much spot on. Doing Sumo, in the start position, get your ass as far away from your hands as possible.

Nice form.