• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlifting Bloody Shins

D1cko

Extra Large Member
G'day all
Yesterday, I realised that scraped and bloody shins are inevitable while deadlifting with correct technique...
My question, can you avoid it?
Is there a stance problem? Or do people wear long pants?....not real desirable in the Pilbara?

Cheers

Mate it is inevitable, you can get deadlift socks or you can just HTFU LOL, just think of the scrapes as reminders of the battles you have fought.
In all seriousness, practice makes perfect on the deads, I use to scrape the fuck out of my shins but I only seem to bump them once in a while these days, usually on the max lifts. keep at them and you will find your groove mate.

EDIT: When I first got my Texas bar I bloodied up pretty bad, it forced me to perform them better, but I still know it when I scrape LOL

Last edited:
to help stop the scraping just wear pants or long footy socks..
There isnt much u can do about briuses it will happen especially on max effort days. Last thing u would be thinking about when your repping out 90% deads is wether your going to get bruises/bleeds.

It can Also depends on the bar u use and the extent.
The ABC bar (also called the cheese grater) has crazy knurling compared to say a MuscleMotion bar.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N9hAuxNs&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Back Angles - YouTube[/ame]

Hahaha cheers guys, I thought so, the gym at the camp has very course knurling on it, it's just part of the game!!!

You fifo?

I find i get more shin bruises from powercleans than deadlifts :p

dont remind me fcuk.. I havent done oly lifting in a while and it quickly reminded me why last week lol.. bruises and scrapes on the mid thigh/shins.. deadlifts are nothing compared to it.

we talking snatches here? ive always popped it at around the sweet spot above the mid thigh close to the balls ..

Oh I was talking cleans.

On both, it should lightly touch the thigh on the 2nd pull, never enough to bruise / scrape lol.

But I could have been taught wrong :p

the amount of times ive snatched in the last year u could on your fingers.. i was taught by some AIS olympic coach dude for a week. Doesnt make me a pro at it as no time under tha bar.

Fuzz was here to give me a demo and he did what seemd to explode off the thigh as well.. made 60kg look like a broomstick

I'm far from an expert on them, but laws of physics say if it hits your thigh thats going to absorb all the power out of it.

Yeah mate FIFO to Dampier after living in the Pilbara for 7 years

Do you fly back to Perth these days or somewhere else? I have a mate working for Rio up in Dampier as part of their emergency rescue management or some shit like that

I'm far from an expert on them, but laws of physics say if it hits your thigh thats going to absorb all the power out of it.

bar is going up, as the hips fly forward and the quads rise, you tend to hit the bar at the begining of the second pull, as trent was saying something about the snatch, and hitting it, and mid thigh, or something. if it doesnt touch your legs its too far away form your body or you are not doing two pulls.

bar is going up, as the hips fly forward and the quads rise, you tend to hit the bar at the begining of the second pull, as trent was saying something about the snatch, and hitting it, and mid thigh, or something. if it doesnt touch your legs its too far away form your body or you are not doing two pulls.

Yeah I mentioned a couple of posts up about touching mid thigh on the 2nd pull. Trent said it was giving him scrapes and bruises on his thighs though.