• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SWH

I'm having big problems with my deadlift and stiff leg deadlift.

I suppose its really hard to explain without a video or seeing it irl but its really annoying me. I'm getting a sort of sharp back pain sometimes when I deadlift just below the middle of my back. When reading up on form i've always been told to push my chest out and keep my back straight but when I push my chest out I get the pain. Its not even really the lift thats doing it but if I don't push my chest out then my lower back isn't neutral.

Also a PT at my gym told me that deadlifts shouldn't be felt in the back at all when I was told that a deadlift is meant to work your back as well as lots of other muscles? I'm really confused, I've only just started deadlifting and its like learning to speak a new language. I'd really appreciate some help here. I do have a video of my deadlift but my form has completely changed since then and it was with a light weight so theres really no point in showing it. Any help appreciated. Sam.

The PT is fucking clueless.

Take a video man. My best guess is your entire back is weak, especially upper back and it's rounding when you get above your knees and the weight transfers over to your back too much.

Remember to get low, keep the bar close to your shins and break the floor with your feet.

Thought so. Well I have a video i'll link it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaolwkOrwRA&context=C31b9d5fADOEgsToPDskJPO-vVux012nAyTPAEy27p]Deadlift Form Check - YouTube[/ame]

This is before I learnt to start from the ground, hit the ground every rep and keep the bar touching my shins at all times. That's a really light weight too. I'll take another one doing my maximum soon but I still need to figure out the problem i'm having because sometimes especially after my workouts I feel sorta stiff in the lower back and sometimes I get some sharp pains as well.

I was thinking it could be my squat as well even though i'm pretty sure i'm doing that correctly.

I think the weight in the video is too light to really be able to tell anything, make another one where you are lifting your current max set of 5, or better still if you want to get serious, book yourself a session with Trent @ PTC Sydney.

Put some 20's on there and rep it a few times pausing to reset for each rep so we get a good look at your setup.

The PT is fucking clueless.

Yep - ask him where he studied,

Few points, start with 20kg plates on the bar & pause on the floor. There might be some weird reversal load going on through your hips.

You should be fine pulling 60 for a few reps :)

Better yet, go speak to Trent at PTC Sysdney.......

Put some 20's on there and rep it a few times pausing to reset for each rep so we get a good look at your setup.

Yep - ask him where he studied,

Few points, start with 20kg plates on the bar & pause on the floor. There might be some weird reversal load going on through your hips.

You should be fine pulling 60 for a few reps :)

Better yet, go speak to Trent at PTC Sysdney.......

I usually do put 20's on. I'll re-do it with either 20's or max weight on friday. I'll do the same for sldl

Avoid SLDL IMO, I never really saw the point in smashing your spine in to some retarded postion just to 'build hoozge hamstrings'

I uploaded a video of my personal best deadlift today. I know form sucks so i could really do with some pointers :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TDnOMR3t4Q&context=C381b3eeADOEgsToPDskLKkx7M2xhcjbR5QPmLnG07]Deadlift 100kg PB 3 reps. Bad form - YouTube[/ame]

I uploaded a video of my personal best deadlift today. I know form sucks so i could really do with some pointers :)

Deadlift 100kg PB 3 reps. Bad form - YouTube

Hips are shooting up too fast because start position was off. I had a very similar problem and it took me ages to figure out why it was happening.

Set the bar mid foot, grab the bar then move your knees forwards until your shins touch the bar then move the knees apart. Then try and point your nipples at the sky while you look straight forwards. This is the set up position. Start with a leg press and keep the chest pointing high. Pull back when the bar starts crossing the knees.

Hips are shooting up too fast because start position was off. I had a very similar problem and it took me ages to figure out why it was happening.

Set the bar mid foot, grab the bar then move your knees forwards until your shins touch the bar then move the knees apart. Then try and point your nipples at the sky while you look straight forwards. This is the set up position. Start with a leg press and keep the chest pointing high. Pull back when the bar starts crossing the knees.

^^^^This^^^^, and get those fwarkin spongy ass shoes off, they are squshing all over the place, not good. I would also add, that when you are lifting, imagine you are dragging the bar up your shins and when you get to the knees, pull back as Oni says but also drive your hips forward.

^^^^This^^^^, and get those fwarkin spongy ass shoes off, they are squshing all over the place, not good. I would also add, that when you are lifting, imagine you are dragging the bar up your shins and when you get to the knees, pull back as Oni says but also drive your hips forward.

Okay thanks alot. Thats what I ususally do to set up. Have my feet so the bar is almost in line with my shoe laces and bend the knees til my shins hit the bar. I think its the way i'm pulling but thanks alot i'll remember to do all of that, I usually take notes for when I go to the gym next so I can familiarise myself. Hope to be back with a better form update soon

You're not set up nicely at all. Got to get tighter in your back. Follow Oni's instructions.

You're not set up nicely at all. Got to get tighter in your back. Follow Oni's instructions.

Yeah i know what i'm doing wrong, but i did note that down on monday after watching rippetoes video. But musn't of been concerntrating on it. i'll drop the weight to at least 80 and try again, Hopefully next time i'll be able to show you a video with good form

Trial and error mate, keep at it, you will get it.

Yep definately, and that i will do. I'm still happy i lifted it even if it was with terrible form. Having said that, i'd be much happier if i didn't have anything to be disappointed about.

It has nothing to do with the weight your set up is not good before you even try to lift. You need to have a mirror near so you can see side on and work on keeping a neutral back and being tight.

It has nothing to do with the weight your set up is not good before you even try to lift. You need to have a mirror near so you can see side on and work on keeping a neutral back and being tight.

Okay yeah well I do have another video of a normal set of 80. But its on my friends camera so i'll have to wait until tomorrow until I can upload it. I'll post it for you too but i'll definately focus more on my set up on friday

i'm as unco as a 3 legged cat so this is what worked for me.

imagine your back angle while the bar is on the floor being parallel with your back angle as the bar reaches your knees, does that make sense? Once bar reaches knees, thats when your hips come more into it and your back starts rising toward vertical.

In the setup position, start with the bar over midfoot but your shins touching it. Your shoulders should be just forward of the bar, or at least mine are - i have some ape-like limbs