• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Decline Bench Press, is it worth it?

harry1970

Elegantly Wasted
I have lots of bros in my gym and they all seem to love doing the decline bench press. To me it looks a bit stupid, wouldn't a dip (or weighted dip) achieve the same result without the need to hang half upside down like Batman?

There have been times the bros are lined up 4 deep to do them on the Smith machine while the dip bars sit unused.

I can't see the benefit in it and I wonder why it's so popular?

Have not done decline in years, I don't particularly like blood rushing to my head when working out.

Weighted dips gets the job done for me, along with flat DB press. If anything, most people need to do more work on the incline IMO :)

I used to do decline all the time when I ran bb programmes, fantastic at building the tris and you definietly can't move more weight on decline then you can on flat bench. Not sure why anyone would think thats the case.

Probably not necessary not to sure why people would think the incline has merit but the decline doesn't. Don't do either nowadays, just flat bench, dips and OHP.

I doubt anyone has done a decline to improve their bench. I thought it was a lift bros did to improve their inner upper pecs.

...... It's posted in the strength/PL section, so it shouldnt be a BB question.

Last edited:
I always liked the decline bench movement but it was just a pain in the arse to get set up on as well as the blood going to your head.

I just do dips instead now. If I was at a gym with a decent dedicated decline set up I would still do them.

I always liked the decline bench movement but it was just a pain in the arse to get set up on as well as the blood going to your head.

I used to do it using d/b's on a sit up bench. That way you just roll back with legs hooked into the leg holders and pop the d/b's up as you roll down.

I'm still a bit perplexed by all the hate on decline bench, builds the tris as good as dips but is much kinder on the shoulder. I was actually thinking about getting a cheap situp bench off ebay so I can get back into them.

I dont get anywhere as much tricep activation on decline as with dips. However it recruits way more pec than standard bench, hence its placs in the bodybuilding arsenal, with no real need for PL'S. Bench to improve your bench, decline for hypertrophy purposes etc.

Dorian Yates (I know, PL section) is a big advocate of decline for building a huge chest. So iim sure there is some carry over of the benefits of decline as an assistance.

Side note. The only reason bros do it is because they can lift more, and chuck in a smith machine making it even easier again to throw plates on and bro-spot partial reps out. Its an epic workout for the ego and not much else.

I used to do decline all the time when I ran bb programmes, fantastic at building the tris and you definietly can't move more weight on decline then you can on flat bench. Not sure why anyone would think thats the case.

Probably not necessary not to sure why people would think the incline has merit but the decline doesn't. Don't do either nowadays, just flat bench, dips and OHP.

I would give the argument that training from a leverage disadvantage would ueild greater results than an exercise you perform under a leverage advantage

I would give the argument that training from a leverage disadvantage would ueild greater results than an exercise you perform under a leverage advantage

Lucky for me I gave up getting in arguments with you.

You jimmies rustled?

Not worth it, benching with a tight arch puts you in a pretty similar position and is safer and easier. If you fail decline bench without a spotter you're generally in a bit of trouble. And furthermore electro-thingy experiments have shown there to be no difference in activation between flat and decline... and there is no inner chest.

Not worth it, benching with a tight arch puts you in a pretty similar position and is safer and easier. If you fail decline bench without a spotter you're generally in a bit of trouble. And furthermore electro-thingy experiments have shown there to be no difference in activation between flat and decline... and there is no inner chest.

sure there is inner chest i train it after doing my lower biceps.

Do decline flys. Get big pecs and then you dont have to lower the bar as far lol.

P.S. If i look like batman when i do decline bench i will do this heaps more. Batman ftw.

Calm down.. I was just giving the reasons why i thought it was inferior as you did ask...

I do decline but on a seated machine. I feel I can get a really good squeeze out of it which paired with flat and incline, does wonders for the pump.