• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Diet Review Thread

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
With all the different diets out there I was interested in hearing what diets people have tried and what the results were, good and bad.

Now diet does not necessarily mean diet as in losing weight, but diet as in nutritional plan to either lose, maintain or gain, for health reasons etc etc

Would love to see feed back on.
- Carb Back Loading
- Carb Nite
- Atkins
- Intermitted Fasting
- Paleo
- Bulletproof Diet (Upgraded Paleo)
- If it fits your Macros
- Calorie counting
- Renegade Diet
- Eat what ever you feel like
- Vegetarian
- Vegan
- body builder diet (six meals of chicken breast and broccoli etc)
etc etc

When posting your review post up results, feelings, aim of diet (Why you did it), how strict you were, did it work, if not why not etc etc.

The only two I did was calorie counting did not really work for me as I had to keep going lower and lower as my body adapted to the lower intake, aim was to lose body fat, was always hungry, felt weak did lose some weight but quickly fell off the wagon due to being hungry 24/7 with minimal results.

Tried Atkins, dropped weight, but lacked variety for me, felt good, but weight loss also stalled, but was pretty lean by then, probably the leanest I have ever been in my adult life.

Now I just eat, but avoid rubbish and processed food as much as possible, don't count anything, not as lean as I would like to be, started this thread as I want to start something new in the new year.

Leaning to CBL or Carb Nite at the moment, but not sure to be honest. Counting calories definitely not for me, IIFYM, not for me either, it's basically calorie counting IMO, but happy to be educated.

Let the discussion begin.

IF, tried it out for weight loss/getting lean it work well for a few weeks as I could fast easily enough and eating two biggish meals left me very satisfied. However after a while I started eating more and more and derailed my cut, probably more to do with a lack of self control

My current diet is kind of CBL/eating whatever I like. I eat a small amount of carbs before a workout and then have a big serve of carbs PWO. After that its protein & veggies and fats every other meal. It's working well for me at the moment :)

Leaning towards carbnite at the moment, but will see how I feel when the time comes.

back in IF, trying to shed a bit of bodyfat, its the only diet that doesnt leave me hungry when I go to bed

Chicken, beans, almonds or avo works really well. Will you stick to it, probably not?

High protein, moderate carbs moderate fats, minor adjustments in the 5g per macro range every few weeks to keep things ticking along. Two moderate refeed days per week with lower protein lower fat and higher carbs, best diet I've done and continue to do now when I need to drop some chub. Did this with the help of a prep coach and since then I'm really dialled into how my body works and best operates.

IIFYM is the only sensible diet
Calories come first.

If you're trying to gain:
Not gaining - eat more
Getting fatter - eat a little less
Losing fat - eat even more

If you're trying to cut:
Getting fatter - eat much less
Getting bigger but not thinner - eat a little less
Nothing then eat a little more less (good luck figuring that double negative out)
Losing muscle - eat a little more

Macros is just what allows you to eat more or keep you full as you eat less

Carb Nite

Advice
make sure u eat a moderate amount of fat if your lifting, things like coconut oil, coconut butter,sausages (real ones not carbed up shit mixes), bacon, butter, cream, coconut milk, good quality meats- personal preference lamb, pork and beef mince, eggs etc

DO NOTS
if you find yourself obsessing over foods while IF eat some fucking food for fucks sake, dont add another unwanted stress, e.g intermittant starving- it aint for everyone

dont turn your "carb nite" into a carb massacre and be a douche bag, enjoy a couple good meals, eat till your full, and fill up on brotein first so you dont fat fuck yourself eating lollies twinkes whtever, you finish it feeling like a douchebag, still wanting more, and byyourself questioning is it really worth it? its not an excuse to eat shitty food, because shitty food, is shit, bottom line

some extra notes, eat liberal amounts of broc cauli, zucchini, cucumber, asparagus anything green

basically i think this is high fat paleo with a feast that the "paleo gods" would rain down thunder on you

great for shredding up, and if you feel shitty
1, increase fats
2 lower protein increase fats
3 lower fats increase protein

each to their own

be strict, fuck it aint that bad not eating rice and bananas or whatever it is like cereal, i prefer to turkey slap myself in bratwurst sausage and Kranskys anyday

give it a go, if you dont like it, eat a balanced diet, if you obsess over foods,get help,its a disorder

be strict, fuck it aint that bad not eating rice and bananas or whatever it is like cereal, i prefer to turkey slap myself in bratwurst sausage and Kranskys anyday
Speak for yourself, love Kranskys but life is not worth living without carbs.

pretty simple bazza, dont do it mate, it aint for everyone as i said.

kranskys will still love you no matter what path you take ;)

The only carbs I crave is my mums cooking- so not really carbs.
So my carb day is usually me going up to the parents house now, on a Sunday

Have used IF; got good results on my cut but hated not being able to eat brekky straight away upon waking. Switching the fast to pre bed wasn't to my liking either. Gets results but wasn't for me.

I cycle carbs and have found it to work well for me.

Exploring some new options at the moment as I need to change it up.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Carb night is basically a keto diet with a refeed once per week, nothing groundbreaking. The Anabolic diet has been around for twice as long. Nothing magic about carb back loading either, the only magic thing about it is the heavy, gimmicky marketing. You can't manipulate your hormones significantly through eating certain macronutrients at certain times, only steroids and peptides can do this. There is some slight partitioning benefits if you eat most of your carbs around training, but in the long run it won't make a huge difference. I.F is the same, just an eating pattern.

The best diet for a person, is the one that they will stick to in the long term.

You're not a breakfast person, and like to eat more food later in the day? Having trouble cutting down because your consuming only a few hundred calories per meal? (Eg. 6 meals) Do I.F.

Prefer to consume all your carbs post workout? Do carb backloading.

You don't need a fancy or structured diet plan? Eat your protein/carbs/fat whenever you want. It all comes down to your intake at the end of the day/week.

I feel many of the benefits of nutrient timing are for health reasons. It keeps you insulin sensitive which is very beneficial in the long term

Although I do find personally that eating different shit at different times of the day or week has a profound effect on my physique. Especially spreading protein through the day and eating most of my calories post training. I seem to get more out of less food doing this, just my experience

Actually, the few structured diets that can get you "drug" like results would be Dan Duchaine's Body opus, or Lyle McDonalds Ultimate Diet 2.0 (an optimised version of Dan Duchaine's original Ultimate diet).

A rough run down:

-Low calories at the start of the week, depletion workouts (google it, they are hell), fasted cardio
- Maintenance calories, full body tension workout (2-3 sets 6-8 reps)
- Carb load for 2 days (Which can range from 500-1400g of carbs depending on your weight. Followed by a full body power workout (3-4 sets x 1-3 reps)

Repeat until you get to desired body fat level (people have gotten down to 5-6%).

Buy the book, it has a lot of information in there. Not just specifically about the diet itself but also: body weight regulation, why it's so hard to get lean for some people etc.

Yeah kinda similar to what I do
I wave calories through the week and do 6-10 day keto runs and a single carb up once a week.
These are just carb ups though, not full blown supercompensations as doing them often apparently makes them lose their effectiveness. 3-4 hours of non stop eating