• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does Olympic weightlifting build strength?

This is the kicker and I'm thinking that no one really understands what their saying but the reality is, if one decides to do the Olympic lifts a similar aged russian/Bulgarian or Chinese kid has already trained a couple of thousand workouts.

For there to be ny change in the situation there needs to be grass root training here, getting kids strong, actually doing what Ripp suggests, what we have here at least in this country is a polyglot.

LOL, You know the IPF is tested right?
If you think 90% of lifters at the Olympics are life time drug free your kidding yourself.
Oly lifters, powerlifters, sprinters....... Every sport that is "tested" has athletes that use PED's.
yah, but IPF deadlift record is 397.. still farkoff heavy, but not quite "460kg vs 215 snatch"
so.. PED assisted snatch =~250kg?

i don't think oly/other tested kiddies are drug free at all, just that their "opportunities" to use them are more limited.. ie, they have to fit the use around the (possible) testing periods :)
(unless the testing periods are designed to be convenient?)

yah, but IPF deadlift record is 397.. still farkoff heavy, but not quite "460kg vs 215 snatch"
so.. PED assisted snatch =~250kg?

i don't think oly/other tested kiddies are drug free at all, just that their "opportunities" to use them are more limited.. ie, they have to fit the use around the (possible) testing periods :)
(unless the testing periods are designed to be convenient?)

The best ever snatch is 216kg
In tested or untested meets, this has never been beaten...
Not sure where you're pulling 250kg from (...your ass?)

i'm sorry, i thought you were able to comprehend maths.. :confused:

if deadlift has proportional carryover to snatch, and extra "assistance" also carries over..
(460/397.5)X 217 = 251kg.
(ie, ("open" DL / "tested" DL) x "tested" snatch = "open" snatch

if deadlift does not have carryover.. then that sorta defeats the whole purpose of your useless thread.

edited for 217kg :eek:

Last edited:
If a weak person who had never picked up a barbell before started training using olympic lifts i think this persons strength would gradually increase.

Not saying its the best way but thats the question, thats my opinion. Btw no i didn't read the link and i can't be fucked to read all the comments in this thread

It's 217kg and watch your language young man!

Behdad Salimi 217+256= 473 (Unofficial Snatch and Total WR)

Fadi.

Ah ok, Wikipedia told me 216 *shrug*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatch_(weightlifting)#World_records

i'm sorry, i thought you were able to comprehend maths.. :confused:

if deadlift has proportional carryover to snatch, and extra "assistance" also carries over..
(460/397.5)X 217 = 251kg.
(ie, ("open" DL / "tested" DL) x "tested" snatch = "open" snatch

if deadlift does not have carryover.. then that sorta defeats the whole purpose of your useless thread.

edited for 217kg :eek:

This is the worst logic that I have ever seen on the internet in my 15 year 'career' and I browse 4chan

If a weak person who had never picked up a barbell before started training using olympic lifts i think this persons strength would gradually increase.

Not saying its the best way but thats the question, thats my opinion. Btw no i didn't read the link and i can't be fucked to read all the comments in this thread

It may have been the original question, but oni keeps adjusting it so that it becomes closer to the answer he wants to share with everyone.

It may have been the original question, but oni keeps adjusting it so that it becomes closer to the answer he wants to share with everyone.

The thread is about the Rippetoe article (that's why the article was posted in the original post!!)
The question "does olympic weightlifting build strength?" implies the question "is olympic weightlifting adequate for strength?"

Everyone just rips on this guy and bags out all his answers pretty funny when an oni thread pops up because I already know its gonna be entertaining if I decide to read lol. Fine by me :p

The thread is about the Rippetoe article (that's why the article was posted in the original post!!)
The question "does olympic weightlifting build strength?" implies the question "is olympic weightlifting adequate for strength?"

Oh ok. So lets break that down.

"Does olympic weightlifting build strength?"

Defining olympic weightlifting confers competing in the snatch or clean and jerk and / or practicing variations of these. And build strength relates to the causing of an individual to become stronger.

To which I answered in the first post that no, those lifts don't build strength (although as Sam pointed out, a beginner will gain strength from anything).

Since then you've been talking about other things. Whether a big deadlift improves your olympic lifts or vice versa, whether theres carryover from powerlifting to olympic lifting and vice versa. None of these things pertain to the original question. You're just adjusting your question to fit what you want to share.

In your most recent post, you've changed your question to "Is olympic weightlifting adequate for strength?" to which I must ask "adequate for what?". This is the same as saying "is powerlifting adequate for strength?" to which I have the same answer. It certainly wouldn't be adequate for strength if you're in the military, play NFL, etc etc.

I don't think it takes a great leap of thought to figure out that I might be talking about the article that I posted and the issues raised in it

FML, Olympic Weightlifting builds strength, its not going to get you to an absolute strength potential.

Someone close the thread. lol.

ive just worked out that the thread commits the logical fallacy of 'begging the question....which means Oni has inserted his conclusion inside his argument....which makes it impractical to tackle.

This thread, even though has taken many left turns, has had lots of good info posted.

I'm leaving it open in a hope more will be posted.

All I ask is please keep it civil. Forums are hard to clean up on a phone :/

ive just worked out that the thread commits the logical fallacy of 'begging the question....which means Oni has inserted his conclusion inside his argument....which makes it impractical to tackle.

Not really, I gave lots of reasons as to why strength training is important in Olympic lifting (which can be summarized in a nutshell as 'the first pull in the snatch and the C&J requires limit strength, not speed-strength (as the second pull does) and having more limit strength allows you to get into position easier giving more headroom for any technique mistakes or inefficiency') and then gave examples of strong people who had followed this mantra