• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does Olympic weightlifting build strength?

ok so,... if you got twins, one trained only deadlifts andbacksquats, and the other olylifts and front squats,

Then bought them together after say 5 years of proper training.,

obviously the oly lifter would piss all over the deadlifter at the oly lifts because they require years of technique perfection.

But what about doing deadlifts who would win.

I think oly lifts are awsome for building strength, because of the speed, they tend to increase muscle and neural recruitment, this can only help create speed from the floor which I beleive is favorable in powerlifting.

See what your saying, but dissagree.

If you have twins, 1 trained oly, 1 trained pl, the pl would be a better deadlifter.
As I'm sure Fadi said earlier, oly lifter generally only lift 10% over their Max over head.

Your going to get very fast and powerful, but without handling heavy weights often, don't see how it could mean a bigger deadlift.

I would think the person trained in the deadlift would be better at deadlifting lol
Remember, it is the second pull that is fast - this means that an olympic lifter might have a sick lockout but if he's only ever budged 150kg off the floor, good luck budging 200 off the floor

Sport specific training will always come out on top and the clean is NOT sport specific training for the deadlift, which is why strong people do speed deadlifts + accommodating resistance and not high pulls (well, it's popular in strongman because of the axle c+J) the majority of the time

I think the important question for the sake of the topic here (or at least where discussion wound up) is if we make the twins triplets, and have the third one doing Olympic lifting with heavy deadlifts and other general strength lifts, would they out-lift either of the other two?

Actually, let's make them quintuplets.

Quin1 does 100% powerlifting, 0% olympic lifting
Quin2 does 75% powerlifting, 25% olympic lifting
Quin3 does 50% powerlifting, 50% olympic lifting
Quin4 does 25% powerlifting, 75% olympic lifting
Quin5 does 0% powerlifting, 100% olympic lifting

What will be the 1RM squat, bench, deadlift, snatch, and c+j for each?

If you wish to become proficient in Olympic weightlifting, then you’re going to need two things:

1. Skill
2. Power

Of course you would also need to be flexible, especially in your shoulder area.

You need to get strong, but strong for weightlifting and not strong for some other sport. You need to have speed, and again, speed for weightlifting and not some other sport.

What the above means is that you need to become powerful, i.e. strength + speed, not one or the other and not one over the other, but a balance of both. You don’t get that balance by focusing your attention on movements that call for strength minus the speed element, or you would violate the very formula that goes to make up power, which is what weightlifting stands for.

I’m just repeating what I have said before.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Sorry fadi but I have to make this point, you keep mentioning violating the power formula, this statement is wrong. Wheather you lift heavy or light, fast or slow, short distance or long, whatever it still requires power, and can be calculated by the formula. The values of the variables simply change.

Sorry fadi but I have to make this point, you keep mentioning violating the power formula, this statement is wrong. Wheather you lift heavy or light, fast or slow, short distance or long, whatever it still requires power, and can be calculated by the formula. The values of the variables simply change.
Granted, however my point was and remains that one should focus on an exercise that can afford you a balance of power over one that shifts that balance to (as in this case) pure strength. Weightlifters train the way they do for a reason. They're not oblivious to exercises that afford one brute strength such as the deadlift, but if an exercise is available (and one is) such as the clean and snatch pulls, that meets that criteria that is power, then a weightlifter would be better served doing that then one that doesn't have that complete package.

Perhaps I'm wording my post wrong, you tell me. Thank you.

Fadi.

I think oly lifts are awsome for building strength, because of the speed, they tend to increase muscle and neural recruitment, this can only help create speed from the floor which I beleive is favorable in powerlifting.
I honestly didn't think there was a requirement for speed in deadlifting. By that I mean no one cares how fast you deadlift the weight as long as you deadlift it. Do powewrlifter train specifically for speed? I have no idea, hence I'm asking.

Fadi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly didn't think there was a requirement for speed in deadlifting. By that I mean no one cares how fast you deadlift the weight as long as you deadlift it. Do powewrlifter train specifically for speed? I have no idea, hence I'm asking.

Fadi.

Yep. Westside has made speed training for the powerlifts popular.

Getting faster helps you blast trough sticking points.

Fadi.

They do to a certain extent. Review Sticky's answer in the thread from Rambodian regarding deadlifts.

To paraphrase - In competition, no one cares about the speed of the lift, but being faster means it's more likely to gain momentum and make it all the way to lockout.

Fadi.
a lifter that is fast will have the edge over someone who is slow, when a slow lifter hits a sticking point they either have to grind through it or they fail, but a fast lifter has the advantage of the momentum to push through the sticking point.

thats when fast and slow twitch fibers come into play

edit: damn i need to think of how to word things faster lol

a lifter that is fast will have the edge over someone who is slow, when a slow lifter hits a sticking point they either have to grind through it or they fail, but a fast lifter has the advantage of the momentum to push through the sticking point.

thats when fast and slow twitch fibers come into play

edit: damn i need to think of how to word things faster lol
No worries, thank you callan. It's great to see all of you guys helping me out here, much appreciated indeed.

Fadi.

Fadi.

Powerlifts are very similar to oly lifts in the sense you need to move the bar as fast as you can.
The velocity of the bar may be different, but everybody is trying to move that bar......... FAST.

Powerlifts are very similar to oly lifts in the sense you need to move the bar as fast as you can.
The velocity of the bar may be different, but everybody is trying to move that bar......... FAST.
You're the MAN Scott. Thank you Sir.

Fadi.

There is a certain user on here who's training journal I have been following for a while now to see the outcome, he trains primarily for olympic weight lifting, even entered a few comps, and the training he does is tailored around this, however he is very very very weak, and doesn't seem to be getting stronger anytime soon, unless, imo, he was to change the way he trained, I don't see that changing.

From my own training experience, dabbling with the olympic lifts every now and then, I'd say that to get good at olympic lifts you need to practice them so you become proficient at the lift, and you need to train to build strength via back squat/front squat, and pulls, so that you can actually move the weight and be explosive. Simply doing the olympic lifts is not enough to build the strength you need. I have come to this conclusion by analysing the results from my own training and that is how I would approach it to get my olympic lifts up. luckily i'm not an olympic lifter and don't have to the time needed to dedicate to that :p

/2c

There is a certain user on here who's training journal I have been following for a while now to see the outcome, he trains primarily for olympic weight lifting, even entered a few comps, and the training he does is tailored around this, however he is very very very weak, and doesn't seem to be getting stronger anytime soon, unless, imo, he was to change the way he trained, I don't see that changing.

From my own training experience, dabbling with the olympic lifts every now and then, I'd say that to get good at olympic lifts you need to practice them so you become proficient at the lift, and you need to train to build strength via back squat/front squat, and pulls, so that you can actually move the weight and be explosive. Simply doing the olympic lifts is not enough to build the strength you need. I have come to this conclusion by analysing the results from my own training and that is how I would approach it to get my olympic lifts up. luckily i'm not an olympic lifter and don't have to the time needed to dedicate to that :p

/2c

Excactly