• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Experiences with Wendlers 5/3/1

The quick gains would have been muscle memory more then anything I doubt someone without those gains previously would cruise to those weights... Either way I'd like to try the program one day, I want to try every program.

^Granted muscle memory played a part, but this isn't the first time I've had to rebuild after a hiatus and it came back far easier this time which I attribute to the well designed program.

If you do plan on trying every program make sure you give each one 3-6 months so that you can fully appreciate the ins and outs of each different template. Jumping from program to program each month will get you nowhere.

What do you guys think of Dave Tate's Periodization Bible template? I'm thinking of doing it so I'm hitting body parts twice a week (mainly chest and back I want to bring up.) instead of 5 x 10 I'd do 3 x 8-12 or less volume though. Or would another template be better suited?
Day 1
Overhead Press - 5/3/1
Shoulders or Chest - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
Lats or Upper Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T - bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
Triceps - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Day 2
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Hamstrings - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Curls, Glute - Ham Raise)
Quads - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
Abs - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Sit - ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Day 3
Bench Press - 5/3/1
Shoulders or Chest - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
Lats or Upper Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T - bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
Triceps - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Day 4
Squat - 5/3/1
Low Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Reverse Hyper, Back Raise, Good Morning)
Quads - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
Abs - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Sit - ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Last edited:
Thoughts on this?
Day 1
Overhead Press - 5/3/1
DB Incline/flat bench 3 x 8-12
A row 3 x 8-12
Biceps/tris 3 x 8-12

Day 2
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Hamstrings - 3 sets of 8-12 (Leg Curls, Glute - Ham Raise)
hack squats - 3 sets of 8-12
Abs

Day 3
Bench Press - 5/3/1
dips 3 x 8-12
chins 3 x 8-12
some curls or tris if i feel like it, dips and chins should hit them hard.

Day 4
Squat - 5/3/1
Low Back - 3 x 8-12
Hack squats 3 x 8-12
Abs

C'mon bruz! Does anyone see anything wrong/anything I can improve? I try to put it so I'm hitting each muscle at least twice a week.

Would it be optimal to run it like this or does anyone else have another suggestion?
Monday. Squat Day

Wednesday. Bench Press Day

Friday. Deadlift Day

Saturday. Overhead Press Day

Monday. Squat Day

Wednesday. Bench Press Day

Friday. Deadlift Day

Saturday. Overhead Press Day

I think that's a pretty good way to run it. It gives a day between each workout as well, that will help with recovery. Give it a try for 3-6 months and keep a log of your journey so you can give it a decent evaluation at the end. Keep a personal log of how you feel etc, this will be a detailed descriptive analysis of each training session over time. And continue your log on here so we can see how you are progressing.

Good luck
G

Doesn't matter. Stop overthinking it and just do it.

I personally did chins 3 times a week. Wendler prescibes LOTS of chins.

I did 5/3/1 for a couple months last year. All my assistance work improved, but the main lifts deproved. Results were quite similar to when I did Madcow's 5x5 a year earlier, in which I stalled at lower weights than my previous PR's. It seems that I progress best in what I do repetitively, so several sets of the same weight and reps will help me adapt to that weight and rep range much more effectively than a single all-out set will. If I were to run 5/3/1 again, I would just do the prescribed reps on the top set, then as assistance work do the prescribed top set again 2-5 more times, maybe attempting extra reps on the very last set.

I did 5/3/1 for a couple months last year. All my assistance work improved, but the main lifts deproved. Results were quite similar to when I did Madcow's 5x5 a year earlier, in which I stalled at lower weights than my previous PR's. It seems that I progress best in what I do repetitively, so several sets of the same weight and reps will help me adapt to that weight and rep range much more effectively than a single all-out set will. If I were to run 5/3/1 again, I would just do the prescribed reps on the top set, then as assistance work do the prescribed top set again 2-5 more times, maybe attempting extra reps on the very last set.
Whenever i stall on my lifts i turn to madcow's 5x5, garaunteed to raise lifts to new levels everytime.

Don't know why you failed, maybe didn't eat enough.

5/3/1 doesn't really work if you only do it a couple of months as well. Think I worked out it takes something like 16+ weeks to get to your original true 1RM if you follow the program to the letter.

5/3/1 is a long term training program. The first 3 months are really just laying the groundwork. The results really speak for themselves after 6-12 months.

5/3/1 is a long term training program. The first 3 months are really just laying the groundwork. The results really speak for themselves after 6-12 months.
After 2 months I could barely get 2 reps out at weights that were lighter than my 5RM's from 2 weeks prior to starting the program. If I recall correctly, it was even worse for my overhead press - I think I was barely getting 3 reps at my former 8RM. My strength was going backwards and I couldn't even justify adding 2.5kg to the training 1RM - what's the point if you can't get the reps? Pretty sure no groundwork was being laid, I was just getting weaker.

Grahomaoahoam, I remember calculating how long it'd take to get to your original 1RM on the program once upon a time, and I think I came to the conclusion that 4 cycles would be the bare minimum. So yeah, 16+ weeks sounds about right.