• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

First CrossFit Study: It Works Wonders, If You Can Survive

High rep Olympic lifts are a necessary evil if you are a kipfittian and a waste of time if you are not.

High Road, if you disagree I can roll off enough big names to support my argument you make you run home to your mum crying

/thread

Among those that agree with me (and I have spoken to them ALL in person)
Rob Forte
Camille Leblanc-Bazinet
all 4 of the USA crossfithq powerlifting seminar presenters (Gracie Vannasse, AJ Roberts, Laura Phelps, Shane Sweatt)
Samantha Briggs' (2013 womens open winner) coach (Sweatt)
+ a dozen or so box owners I spoke to whilst working at Iron Edge

Rob Forte
Camille Leblanc-Bazinet
all 4 of the USA crossfithq powerlifting seminar presenters (Gracie Vannasse, AJ Roberts, Laura Phelps, Shane Sweatt)

Boohoo, where is my mummy...

low rep oly lifts are more common than the high rep stuff, if you can clean and jerk 120kg than 20@60kg wont be such a big deal, its the people that push past there limit of good form that injure themselves, crossfit is a good mix between strength and endurance, you need a good balance of both to be good at it,

Rob Forte
Camille Leblanc-Bazinet

So to confirm, are these guys saying crossfit style high oly rep workouts are good for fitness, good for crossfit fitness but not other fitness, or a waste of time? It would be interesting to get unbiased thoughts from CF elite on the nature of CF workouts in general.

Anything I have to say on the matter will be eaten up by trolls and Ausbb elite :)

Push a prowler or something

maybe you would get more meaningful responses if you engaged in discussion when people disagree with you instead of acting like its a personal attack on you and sprouting pointless butthurt crap like above.

People gave detailed responses about why they didnt believe high rep oly lifting was appropriate for most, your response was "if you dont like it don't do it. I could tell you why its good but id rather cry into my weetbix"

maybe you would get more meaningful responses if you engaged in discussion when people disagree with you instead of acting like its a personal attack on you and sprouting pointless butthurt crap like above.

People gave detailed responses about why they didnt believe high rep oly lifting was appropriate for most, your response was "if you dont like it don't do it. I could tell you why its good but id rather cry into my weetbix"

Don't you make me cry too, hamburgler has already done that once today. Mmm, love the weetbix, mum makes them for me when I run back to her after people name drop on the Internet.

Lets just assume for minute that when we all say high rep we are talking about greater than 10-15 reps without taking ones hands off the bar for a rest, yeah?

Are you against high rep dumbbell/kettlebells clean and jerks, snatches? If no, what's the difference with a barbell at the appropriate weight? If yes, why?

I look forward to your reply, maybe post up some of the detailed responses people posted too :)

I am far from qualified to provide meaningful comment, which is why I was disappointed when you derailed the otherwise good discussion that was going on as I was enjoying the meaningful back and forth.

For what its worth though, my opinion is that any technical movement, regardless of chosen equipment, is a poor choice if you are doing it for conditioning simply because there are equally effective options available that do not require the same level of proficiency and/or ability to maintain correct form in a fatigued state to avoid injury.

As for others responses, read back over the thread.

Don't you make me cry too, hamburgler has already done that once today. Mmm, love the weetbix, mum makes them for me when I run back to her after people name drop on the Internet.

Lets just assume for minute that when we all say high rep we are talking about greater than 10-15 reps without taking ones hands off the bar for a rest, yeah?

Are you against high rep dumbbell/kettlebells clean and jerks, snatches? If no, what's the difference with a barbell at the appropriate weight? If yes, why?

I look forward to your reply, maybe post up some of the detailed responses people posted too :)

First point of difference for me is that kettlebell cleans & jerk and kettlebell snatches are cyclical and specifically evolved for high rep and timed sets for kettlebell sport.

When the kettlebell variants are done right, each rep will flow into the next, as the return to the starting point of the movement will immediately carry over into the start of the next repetition.

The barbell variants to me have a vary definite stop at the completion of the movement. Each repetition will be completed from start to finish independently from the previous.

Although all they share a common name (snatch/jerk) they are very different beasts.

In short.
High repetition for kettlebell snatch / clean and jerk = Yes.
dumbbell and barbell variants = No

I am far from qualified to provide meaningful comment, which is why I was disappointed when you derailed the otherwise good discussion that was going on as I was enjoying the meaningful back and forth.

For what its worth though, my opinion is that any technical movement, regardless of chosen equipment, is a poor choice if you are doing it for conditioning simply because there are equally effective options available that do not require the same level of proficiency and/or ability to maintain correct form in a fatigued state to avoid injury.

As for others responses, read back over the thread.

So what about Deadlifts?

Come man, it was a Crossfit thread, it was never going to be any good

Oh, I've read over the thread... If you read a bit hard you might a find a clue as to my stance on high rep Olympic lifting