• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

First CrossFit Study: It Works Wonders, If You Can Survive

I am far from qualified to provide meaningful comment, which is why I was disappointed when you derailed the otherwise good discussion that was going on as I was enjoying the meaningful back and forth.

For what its worth though, my opinion is that any technical movement, regardless of chosen equipment, is a poor choice if you are doing it for conditioning simply because there are equally effective options available that do not require the same level of proficiency and/or ability to maintain correct form in a fatigued state to avoid injury.

As for others responses, read back over the thread.

Like.

You'll garner better results using combinations/variations of a squat, a push and a pull.

Want to compete in cross-fit?
Train using the exercises in an event.
As an adjunct, you included the above mentioned from time to time.

Do Olympic lifts biuld strength?
Most def.
Are there safer options?
Yes.

Last edited:
First point of difference for me is that kettlebell cleans & jerk and kettlebell snatches are cyclical and specifically evolved for high rep and timed sets for kettlebell sport.

When the kettlebell variants are done right, each rep will flow into the next, as the return to the starting point of the movement will immediately carry over into the start of the next repetition.

The barbell variants to me have a vary definite stop at the completion of the movement. Each repetition will be completed from start to finish independently from the previous.

Although all they share a common name (snatch/jerk) they are very different beasts.

In short.
High repetition for kettlebell snatch / clean and jerk = Yes.
dumbbell and barbell variants = No

This can come down to a matter of opinion now, and as I said earlier, you would need a study to confirm your opinion...

Your kettlebells snatches are like a 1 arm kettlebell swing then?

This can come down to a matter of opinion now, and as I said earlier, you would need a study to confirm your opinion...

Your kettlebells snatches are like a 1 arm kettlebell swing then?

look on youtube for WKC , RKC or Girevoy snatch.

You could almost argue that the barbell movement would be safer as its not going between your legs backwards while you are trying to stop the momentum with one arm. The position of the hip closing and knee closing would put a lot of load on the lower back, add to that the slight twist of the load being in one hand only...does this sound safe?

Vs, say this...

Warning, clip contains high intensity Olympic lifting, pants wetting and some occasional death..

You could almost argue that the barbell movement would be safer as its not going between your legs backwards while you are trying to stop the momentum with one arm. The position of the hip closing and knee closing would put a lot of load on the lower back, add to that the slight twist of the load being in one hand only...does this sound safe?

Vs, say this...

Warning, clip contains high intensity Olympic lifting, pants wetting and some occasional death..

still waiting for your reason why

Vs, say this...

Old mates shoulders are far from safe from injury

Meow!

I don't have any reasons, it's probably not safe, or effective, prowler pushing, kettlebells, running, fire stick twirling are more effective forms of of conditioning. As others have said, unless you are involved in a sport where it is required, why would you do it? Pretty sure I eluded to this back on page 5/6/7 or something where I mentioned opinions and you would be surprised what mine was on the topic and you would need a study to be 100% sure it isn't safe, or effective, but you guys wanted to take it and run with it, so I ran along for the ride.

But having said that, performing the lifts for high reps at a % less than 50% of your 1rm (assuming you know how to perform the lifts) would be just as safe, if not safer than a kettlebell snatch and fine for conditioning I would think, sure there are other options and path ways you can take, but mix it up, variety is the spicy of life, learn something new and all that crap. Why key hole your conditioning and exclude movements because some people think its dangerous. Remember when squatting deep was bad for your knees? Well now we all laugh at the shallow squatters and claim the murder a kitten every time they go shallow

I can give you reason as to why

3rfz1x.jpg

and here I was waiting for a revelation as to why anyone would intentionally choose olympic lifts for conditioning (apart from mixing it up).... lol :D

and here I was waiting for a revelation as to why anyone would intentionally choose olympic lifts for conditioning (apart from mixing it up).... lol :D

And wait you did, sorry to disappoint, but I did try to hint to my stance a couple pages back when someone offered for me to re-read the thread

hold on, you mentioned 5/6/7 pages.. i only see 3... you haven't set your posts per page to max yet have you?

So to confirm, are these guys saying crossfit style high oly rep workouts are good for fitness, good for crossfit fitness but not other fitness, or a waste of time? It would be interesting to get unbiased thoughts from CF elite on the nature of CF workouts in general.

They all agree that they are good for fitness (which I do to) but contain an inherent risk due to the nature of the exercises involved, and that there are safer and just as effective alternatives