• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

First post - question about my pecs

R

RobRock

Hi there,

I was searching for an answer to a question I've been wondering about for a long time and I stumbled across this site. So I decided to join and maybe get some opinions as this site looks quite promising!

I've been working out on and off for about 5 years now. I was my "fittest" about 2.5 years ago, and am now returning to the gym after about a year hiatus. My question is this - I've always had what I'd describe as "dents" on the outside of my pectorals, just below my armpits. I can't figure out if maybe my form has been bad over the years or if I'm just not doing the right exercises. I tried to attach a photo so you could see what I'm talking about but apparently I can't until I've posted 15 times. I hope you can understand what I'm describing without a picture for now.

I've never injured myself that I know of. So I guess I'm just wondering what you guys think...am I doing something wrong, do I just have weird pecs, is there any way to "fill in" that area?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this site.

Basically it boils down to the shape of the muscle - and yes, there's nothing you can do about it, it's as individual as your face.

The long answer... It depends where the dent is.

Despite the neat anatomical drawings we get,

250px-Pectoralis_major.png

in fact the muscle may not be as even. Each muscle has an origin - where it anchors - and an insertion - where it pulls on. The pectoralis major has as its origin the sternum and the inside two-thirds of the clavicle (collarbone), and its insertion the humerus (upper arm bone). A tendon lies between the muscle and the upper arm bone. Your pecs may be quite full and long, or they may "peak".

It's probably clearer with your biceps. Flex your arm with palm up, notice how the biceps peak up, and don't go all the way to the inner elbow - you can feel where the muscle ends and the tendon begins. Some guys have got a long, full muscle, others have more of a "peak" to it. One guy's biceps muscle may end quite close to the inner elbow, another quite far. Those with more of a peak have got the muscle more concentrated in the middle with less near the tendon. This is just individual like your face, nothing you can do.

The same thing happens with your pecs. You can see this sort of thing in this guy,

400_F_1934010_kgisWBzdwbG3akOCUI6cm4aF3is2XL.jpg

just near his armpit there's a slight "dent" in. That's where his muscle is ending and tendon beginning.

Make sense?

I dont, my pecs are quite different to that pic, the main bulk of mine would be inline with my armpit, When I look down when standing properly I cant see my nipples.

The pic kyle posted looks that most of his bulk is around his nipples, mine is about 2 inches higher, and goes flat, out to the armpit area

Also the pec delt groove on that guy is very steep about 60+degrees, mine is about 30-45 and turns down sharply towards the edge of my pec into my armpit.

Hey thanks for the replies. That pic you posted is great - that's where my dent is...except mine is quite a bit larger and extends farther towards the center of my chest. Good to know that I haven't done anything wrong, but also kind of disappointing that I can't get rid of it. Once I have a few more posts under my belt I'll post a pic.