• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fish oil & vitamin B

I've always taken fish oil tablets, well, because I heard they were good for you. Since I improved my diet and seeing I actually eat a lot of fish, I stopped taking them. After about 2 weeks without them I did notice joint pain I've never had before. I started taking them again and it went away.

every joint?

Just knees. And I've never had knee problems.

I'm not saying they do or don't work, but I at least trialled my own test. Who knows; I could have done squats with bad feet placement that week. More information and studies the better. I would be happy to concede that they do nothing so I can save money and stop buying them.

Supplement companies would like us to believe otherwise.
And of course it's got nothing to do with staying hydrated.

If something as simple as a fish oil tablet worked for some of the claims it would be absolutely fantastic. But sadly as with most of these supplements it's just not that simple. The body is a lot more complicated.

I've always taken fish oil tablets, well, because I heard they were good for you. Since I improved my diet and seeing I actually eat a lot of fish, I stopped taking them. After about 2 weeks without them I did notice joint pain I've never had before. I started taking them again and it went away.
I don't doubt your claim for one second, and as I've already stated in my previous post, a nutrient in isolation has the potential to act like a drug in our bodies, and yes, some people are more responsive than others. You go taking EPA, one of the two omega 3 fatty acids, and the time for your blood to clot would be reduced,...the not so scary scenario (and warning sign) is if and when you cut yourself shaving, and the time it takes for your blood to clot ..the other scary, ..very scary scenario is developing some sort of a haemorrhage, not to mention people reports of bruising very easily.

Fatty fish with green leafy vegetables would be awesome, and would serve to illustrate the way nature works for you instead of against you. Fatty fish with its high omega 3 fatty acids, a balanced combination of both EPA & DHA, with all their cofactors doing what they do best, coupled with the nutrients found in a simple green leaf (say) for kale or spinach etc., balance out the way your blood should behave, as one works to thin it and prevent clots etc., the other (with its very high content of vitamin K) works in the opposite and balancing act of insuring proper blood clotting....

Take home message: you can't beat nature, and you wouldn't want to unless you've got yourself an emergency case where drugs and /or supplements play a most beneficial role.

Fadi.

That's interesting you mention green leafy vegetables. Every day without fail I have a leaf of kale, handful of spinach, celery and cucumber blended up into a smoothy. So you're saying that enhances the affect fish oil has on one's body?

That's interesting you mention green leafy vegetables. Every day without fail I have a leaf of kale, handful of spinach, celery and cucumber blended up into a smoothy. So you're saying that enhances the affect fish oil has on one's body?
I'd rather use the term "balances" instead of "enhances" the effect fish oil has on one's body. By being more inclusive with your diet, providing leafy greens which are rich in vitamin K (the blood clotting vitamin) amongst many other known and unknown nutrients, you put yourself in a more balanced nutritional environment overall, whilst at the same time minimising the risk of bleeding (if you happened to be more susceptible to such a side effect than others perhaps).

Furthermore, and a subject that is rarely discussed, is the fact that omega 3 oils have on aging! Yes, you read that correctly. I'm not here to rubbish fish oil neither I am here to scare people. I'm simply sharing what I know regarding this most unstable fatty acid on planet earth. Unstable fats (make that extremely unstable fats), have a tendency to go rancid once isolated from their co-factors. Rancidity is a result of oxidation, and oxidation is not what you want, unless you're fond of having your skin becoming wrinkly before its time. So on one hand we pop anti-oxidant pills, yet (unknowingly) pop the exact opposite when we reach for highly unstable oils. Saturated fats are the most stable of all fats, but that's another subject altogether and I'm beginning to digress,..so I'll leave it here.

Fadi.