• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned

I'm thinking with deadlifts, I will most likely be setting different rep maxes frequently than 1RMs. Interestingly enough, the deadlift is LESS cns taxing than the squat but Starr, Rippetoe, Pendlay etc all seem to think that you need to deadlift less as you get stronger in them.

I'll ask Pendlay what he thinks about frequent deadlift maxes and Bazza seemed to get good results from it. For now though I'll probably just stick with the light day / heavy day and focus on increasing squat frequency before increasing the deadlift

I definitely don't see myself as advanced. More that I have a better build for deadlift and gains seem to come much easier for it than the other lifts. Most things I have tried with the deadlift have worked to some extent but for me, more deadlifting has been better than less.

I tried squatting every day and surprisingly didn't take long to adapt and got some ok early gains then stalled out pretty quickly. My plans are to go back to more volume twice a week squatting for a while.

Bench, well nothing fucking works well for my shitty bench, so take no notice of any of my bench advise. Lol. I am going back to overhead once and bench twice a week with lots of volume like what the others have said.

I definitely don't see myself as advanced. More that I have a better build for deadlift and gains seem to come much easier for it than the other lifts. Most things I have tried with the deadlift have worked to some extent but for me, more deadlifting has been better than less.

I tried squatting every day and surprisingly didn't take long to adapt and got some ok early gains then stalled out pretty quickly. My plans are to go back to more volume twice a week squatting for a while.

Bench, well nothing fucking works well for my shitty bench, so take no notice of any of my bench advise. Lol. I am going back to overhead once and bench twice a week with lots of volume like what the others have said.

When deadlifting 3x as week, what sort of volume / intensity were you using?
Did you have a high volume day, light day and high intensity day, sort of like 5x5 for squats?

When deadlifting 3x as week, what sort of volume / intensity were you using?
Did you have a high volume day, light day and high intensity day, sort of like 5x5 for squats?

Na, nothing fancy just 1 set of 5 alternating deadlifts with rack pulls. Started off fairly easy adding 5kg each time. Not long and I was doing 5 reps with over my old 1 rep max. Then did a few 1RMs to see we're I was at. Could have rode out the progress for longer but holidays got in the way.

Planning on giving it another run in the new year and see what happens.

i used tto use this routine 3 times per week:

squat 5 x 5
bench 5 x 5
dead 5 x 5
mp 5 x 5
"any chosen lift" 5 x 5

my numbers went from:

squat 75kg > 125kg
bench 67.5kg > 102.5kg
dead 100kg > 185kg
overhead 45kg > 80kg

i did this 2 years ago at PTC when i was a beginner (still am lol) but i also took my weight from 75kg to 85kg in about 8 months. i dont think this sort of volume is a problem for people lifting similar weights and making gains like i did but once you hit serious numbers and gains come at a much slower pace i'd be rethinking my course of action.

Na, nothing fancy just 1 set of 5 alternating deadlifts with rack pulls. Started off fairly easy adding 5kg each time. Not long and I was doing 5 reps with over my old 1 rep max. Then did a few 1RMs to see we're I was at. Could have rode out the progress for longer but holidays got in the way.

Planning on giving it another run in the new year and see what happens.

Thanks, seems fairly simple. I'm thinking about doing deficit deadlifts on my speed day and focusing on pulling heavy from the floor on the heavy day

i used tto use this routine 3 times per week:

squat 5 x 5
bench 5 x 5
dead 5 x 5
mp 5 x 5
"any chosen lift" 5 x 5

my numbers went from:

squat 75kg > 125kg
bench 67.5kg > 102.5kg
dead 100kg > 185kg
overhead 45kg > 80kg

i did this 2 years ago at PTC when i was a beginner (still am lol) but i also took my weight from 75kg to 85kg in about 8 months. i dont think this sort of volume is a problem for people lifting similar weights and making gains like i did but once you hit serious numbers and gains come at a much slower pace i'd be rethinking my course of action.

I've seen a few people now that have had awesome gains with higher-volume deadlifts (despite what rippetoad saying about you HAVING to do them for 1x5). I have no idea how I would respond to high volume deadlifts though. Worth a try though, if I start getting burned out with heavy deadlifts I could always swap them out for 5x5x70% and work up 5kg a week or something, see how that goes. Thanks for the help

high weight/volume DL >> your discs.. you can't grow them back. is probably no big problem while you are still so young though

i still can't see, after all this chatter, why you don't just just eat more and lift heavier things?
if you "stall".. then lift more and eat more until you can lift more? it takes time to grow.

am amused by the "but someone said in their program you are NOT ALLOWED to do more reps"..
hogwash! that sounds far more like a psychological issue for you rather than a lifting issue...

i do like the irony about "internet experts" tho :D

someone becomes an expert because they have been there, done that, got it wrong and got it right. the 0.1% of information you read from an "expert" is backed up by 99.9% of what you will never read or know until YOU have done it too..
but you need to be selective too.. there are plenty of people who have "been doin it for 30 years" and still don't know shit..

with that said, there are many people on this forum that deserve a lot more respect than you are giving them.

edit, and after all that, you are talking about swapping your max DL's for a beginner program? (5x5@70%, add 5kg per week)..

Last edited:
high weight/volume DL >> your discs.. you can't grow them back. is probably no big problem while you are still so young though

Just to clarify are you saying high volume, high weight deadlifts are bad for the disks in your back?? If this is the case you are doing deadlifts all wrong.

Shit form is shit form. Doesn't matter if you are doing low or high volume.

You can do high volume deadlifts with no more risk of injury than other exercises if you keep your form good.

I'm fairly confident that if you can squat a max everyday without spine damage you can deadlift a few times a week without spine damage

I'm fairly confident that if you can squat a max everyday without spine damage you can deadlift a few times a week without spine damage
your comparing two complete lifts... the load is distributed differently, and you lift it completely different.

Yeah but the load is still held in a similar place (scapulae in deadlift, just above that in the squat) with similar loads and a similar time under tension + back angles are very similar. If you can do one daily I don't see any reason why the other one would cause problems

last time i checked you lift a lot more with your back in a deadlift then in a squat.

Thanks, seems fairly simple. I'm thinking about doing deficit deadlifts on my speed day and focusing on pulling heavy from the floor on the heavy day

I've seen a few people now that have had awesome gains with higher-volume deadlifts (despite what rippetoad saying about you HAVING to do them for 1x5). I have no idea how I would respond to high volume deadlifts though. Worth a try though, if I start getting burned out with heavy deadlifts I could always swap them out for 5x5x70% and work up 5kg a week or something, see how that goes. Thanks for the help

I think the main reason for sticking to 1x5 DL in SS and his recommended template for the Texas Method is because you're already doing squats for 3x5 on the same day, and the next training day, and the previous training day... if you were alternating between squats and deadlifts every time, he might prescribe more volume on DLs.

You aren't going to damage your body in that way from squatting too frequently you are more likely to find you neurologically fatigue and get muscular strains or sprain something. But anyways stop arguing to justify your position/idea and just do it and write it in your log or otherwise I just think this is a massive troll.