• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Free weights or machines

IMO free weights do more for your muscles and balance but, i do warm-up and cool-down sets on machines. Its working for me so far so, ill stick to it.

free weights are more beneficial, as more muscles are utilized to stabilse your body and working joint,
where as machines tend to do the work for you , machines are alright if you are wanting to isolate a muscle

Definition and growth require different programs not machines.

Free weights require more balance and technique which equals to more strength gains and in turn muscle mass.

Comes down to what you want to achive from a workout.

Using free weights whenever possible is best. It makes use of all the stabilising muscles.

Info I have read recommends using machines only for exercises that can otherwise be dangerous without a spotter (anything with a lot of weight over your head/body).

Also, read that if you're doing burnout/supersets they can be best done on a machine. Perhaps the reason for this is that with a machine you can generally quickly change the weight down and down as you exhaust the muscle progressively more whereas with free weights you'd constantly be needing to change the weights on the rack which can be a pain and difficult if the gym you're at is busy and other people have the weights you want.

each have their own benefits, i use alot more free weights than machines......only because of the resources i have...although key is CONSISTENCY :)