• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Frequency

I guess some other factors might need to be considered. Age, genetics, experience and lifestyle. I do a minimum of 3 workouts per week, sometimes add another here or there depending on how I feel, what's on my social calendar etc. But I agree with Shrek, try a few different combinations, listen to your body (sorry to go zen-like).

Progression and consistency?

How do you measure your progression Andy?

One thing I have not researched with HIT is the rep ranges one would use, so I guess I am talking volume with HIT.
Is it just moderate intensity (measured by weight) until failure in one set? with moderately high reps, or just hitting failure on the last set and building up to it.
Or is it just going balls to the wall intensity, low volume, higher frequency to failure....which would probably be more efficient. makes me think that would lead to lower injury rates too.

What are your thoughts mate?
Am I confused on HIT to some degree, I think I may be.

Shrek is right on this Rambo.

HIT is pretty much the primary reason why the majority of people in gyms make no progress
I have no idea what Andy's training looks like or what he looks like lol so I can't comment on that but he says that it's worked for him

It's ok, if you'll allow me to give you two a bit of insight or education you might be a bit more informed and help you understand a bit about weight training and specifically H.I.T

Arthur jones arrived on the scene mid sixties at a time when bodybuilding as an industry was blossoming into the smoke and mirrors that it is today.

Many bodybiulders where spending hours in the gym daily, doing the workouts that the elite where supposedly doing out of the then weider publications.

Wieder didn't like Jones because he was basically teeming people that weider was a liar, weider wouldn't publish jones articles.

Peary reader however like Arthur's writings and did publish them.

In fact I will post weekly, a chapter from the two bulletins in another thread If people are interested.

I do understand how people get all kunty about HIT, Stuart mcrobert has nothing to do with HIT, HIT was in fact a term that Ellington Darden used in his books.
I've spoken many times with the blokes that worked under jones, nobody they say got results like Arthur Jones through one on one training they would say.

Jones theory, and this is in the 70's mind you, was work very hard on the basic barbell exercises, infrequently, provide enough rest to allow progression.

Jones stated many, many times that the barbell squat, was a miracle exercise at a time when it was very anti squat.

Jones honestly believed he could improve the efficiency and safety of the barbell with a machine and he did with a lot of exercises through providing constant rotary resistance, there is no sticking point.

He was trying to prove that you could spend half the time in gym and garner better results, if the workout was hard.

HIT is pretty much the primary reason why the majority of people in gyms make no progress
I have no idea what Andy's training looks like or what he looks like lol so I can't comment on that but he says that it's worked for him

The majority of people working out in gyms have no idea about HIT

You know who buddy.

I wasn't actually giving an opinion, i was just posting the link which i found hilarious on stuart mcrobert.

especially point three:

3) HE COINED THE TERM “HARDGAINER.”

Though he coined this term, he at no point demonstrated conclusively a manner by which one could objectively determine one’s self to be one, thereby creating legions of pasty-faced assholes who will blather on about being hardgainers simply because they’ve never trained hard a day in their lives, their diets suck shit, they don’t squat or deadlift, and they think a workout routine consists of milling about Nautilus equipment for 45 minutes a day, three times a week. McRobert and his legions of hardgainers can go fuck themselves- they’re pussies though, so it won’t be the epic, Max Hardcore fucking they deserve.

I wasn't actually giving an opinion, i was just posting the link which i found hilarious on stuart mcrobert.

especially point three:

3) HE COINED THE TERM “HARDGAINER.”

Though he coined this term, he at no point demonstrated conclusively a manner by which one could objectively determine one’s self to be one, thereby creating legions of pasty-faced assholes who will blather on about being hardgainers simply because they’ve never trained hard a day in their lives, their diets suck shit, they don’t squat or deadlift, and they think a workout routine consists of milling about Nautilus equipment for 45 minutes a day, three times a week. McRobert and his legions of hardgainers can go fuck themselves- they’re pussies though, so it won’t be the epic, Max Hardcore fucking they deserve.

And that's all that article is, a bit of comic relief.

In another thread we have a discussion announcing that if you're not progressing then you're not pushing hard enough, now you're saying that the majority of people fail to make progress because they push too hard within each set?

I think the reason the majority of people over 25 (and females in general) don't make any progress is because they don't try, they don't have any planned progression, their exercise technique is crap, their program is a random list of exercises and/or their nutrition sucks. I think the reason the majority of males under 25 don't make any progress is a combination of all of the above except for effort. Young boys will try hard, but every other component will be craptacular. Also, while they'll be trying hard, it'll typically only be on bench press, curls, maybe pull ups, maybe crunches and maybe leg extensions.

HIT isn't the reason the majority of people get nowhere. The people who actually understand and follow a HIT program usually understand the other factors as well, at least enough to make a difference (nutrition, exercise technique, a balanced program, etc). I'm not anti-HIT. I'm not pro-HIT, either. It's just a way of training. But the idea that a lot of HIT enthusiasts will promote with the way they train is a bit like 20-rep squats, in that they're going beyond the regular point of failure if they were to just rep out the weight.

For an exercise in a regular volume program, stopping a couple reps short of failure, you might do 3x8x100kg for a given exercise. On a HIT program, you might take that same exercise and that same weight, and do 10 reps to concentric failure, then 6 eccentric reps with spotters doing the concentric for you, then hold for 15 sec until you can't stop the weight from coming back down. All other variables being equal, which of the above two training options would promote greater hypertrophy? I don't know. I don't claim to know. But I'm not so quick to dismiss what actually makes HIT, HIT. I think that the relatively low volume and low frequency compared to other options (which, btw, is not a requirement of HIT) that is common in HIT programs is more likely where the training style may run into problems, rather than the actual training techniques used.