• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Front Squats + Power Cleans = Knee & Wrist Pain

Aaron

On 30th December, I switched to front squats due to my core being very weak and impacting on my back squat form.

From the beginning, I have had sore knees. Well, sometimes just a dull ache, sometimes a bit sorer, and sometimes to the stage that I have to brace myself to stand up from the toilet.

Markos has checked my form, and says it's not bad, with the exception that, when my shoulders get tired, they drop forward a bit on the way up - but nothing major.

So - is knee pain something that regular front squatters just put up with? Having a google online, it seems it's a continual problem for people who front squat regularly?

Does anyone have any pointers as to how to ease the pain? Any key things to watch out for that could be causing the knee pain? Should I be using a roller on my quads? Might this relieve pressure on my knees? If so, I've read that a PVC pipe will do - what diameter is best?

And now onto problem number two... wrist pain.

My wrists have the same issue as my knees - sometimes just a bit tender, but also sometimes get sore to the stage that I have to roll out of bed as opposed to 'pushing' myself out (if that makes sense). I think that front squats are the main contributor here - but my tender wrists are impacting on my cleans. Right from warm up sets with 40kg - I wince each time I catch the bar.

My training currently looks like this:

AAA- Powerclean, Push Press & Front Squat, 2x per week
PPP - Deadlift and Bench Press, 1x per week (both on same night)
I also do AAA on my PPP night if I'm up to it

I'm front squatting 80kg (without any great difficultly to be honest, except I think my knees are really holding me back). Power Clean is at 72.5kg.

AAA increases weights only once per fortnight... I have been at my current weights for 4 sessions - but each session is getting harder than the one before it. That's not progress.

Any advice/pointers greatly appreciated.

Aaron.

Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiids.
Just sayin.

On facespace I think you mentioned that it's common (the knee) amongst Olympic lifters. Any sites give explanations or solutions?

You don't catch the bar with your wrists in the clean, or hold the bar with them in a front squat so uh... stop that.

As far as knee pain goes, if an exercise causes pain you shouldn't be doing it. Pain is your body telling you something is not right.

As far as what the issue might be, the thing that first comes to mind is patellofemoral issues, basically means your knee isn't tracking correctly. Your quads may be very tight and causing this, your ITB may be very tight (this is quite common - look up ITB releases/roll work - even if it isn't the cause you will still benefit), weak VMO (teardrop muscle on the inside of the knee) is another common cause.

However, this is all ultimately guesswork from some stranger on the internet. See a sports physio if you are concerned.

Suggestion: stop front squatting. Back squat with weight that you don't have form breakdown occur, do back extensions.

Try doing some Hamstring Work.

I was getting the same problem as you on the knees and it can become a real hassle. I think it was because of a quad/Ham imbalance.

That may not be the case with you bit it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Do some GHR's with your feet under the bar or some band leg curls or something. I do these and some SLDL before I squat and the pain pretty much vanishes

As far as what the issue might be, the thing that first comes to mind is patellofemoral issues, basically means your knee isn't tracking correctly.

However, this is all ultimately guesswork from some stranger on the internet. See a sports physio if you are concerned.

Suggestion: stop front squatting. Back squat with weight that you don't have form breakdown occur, do back extensions.

Just reading through my anatomy book and patellar tracking issues are relatively rare and usually associated with trauma.

Incorrect for angle and knees in/out don't cause tracking issues but they can cause irritation due to rotation of the femur on the tibia. Keep your knees in line with your feet.

However we can give form tips on-line, the knee is a complicated joint, if you're really worried see sports-doctor.

Also I would fix the problem with back squats rather than switching to front squats.

And yeah catch the bar with your shoulders. I was catching it with my arms for a bit and it gave me grief too.

focus on keeping your elbows as high as possible when you catch the bar, and when your holding it in a front squat. also for a temporay solution, tape your wrist or wear wrist straps.

also on the knee, just focus on knees following the feet. and play around with feet angle.