• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Front Squats, which grip?

Neddysmith

Standard kunce
Hey Guys,

I posted that i am having a little trouble with front squats in mt log but through it should have its own discussion, so here it is...

When doing front squats, for those that do them, what sort of grip do you use as i find it can be quite awkward.

I am currently using palms facing up letting the bar rest over my fingers keeping the elbows up, if that makes sense....

Cheers

Neddy

I use cross arm grip. Lift elbows up do bar doesn't roll down.

Sent from my iPod touch from Pluto

Hey Guys,

I posted that i am having a little trouble with front squats in mt log but through it should have its own discussion, so here it is...

When doing front squats, for those that do them, what sort of grip do you use as i find it can be quite awkward.

I am currently using palms facing up letting the bar rest over my fingers keeping the elbows up, if that makes sense....

Cheers

Neddy

I use the same, but I'm setting myself up for a clean and jerk, if this is of no interest to you get some lifting straps and attach them to the bar then hold onto the strap that would normally be wrapped around the bar. Essentially you will be in the same position but it will be easier to lift the elbows

Hey Guys,

Cheers

Neddy

i use the same grip i have no issues with it but my mate who i train with cant do it at all, i think it comes down to your mechnics and wrist flexibility

I use the front rack position, hands just outside shoulders, elbows pointing inwards. Bar sits just on the finger tips, and behind the front delts/on the throat.

I use crossed arms thru warmups and into the lightest work set, 'cos I find it the more comfortable of the two grips.

But the bar gets away from me if I try that above a certain weight. I'm not flexible enough to lift the elbows high enough to lock it in. So I switch to the straight palms up grip on the heavy sets - I find it minimises the discomfort as the wrists are still fresh.

HighRoad's idea of the straps sound promising.

what is the straps options? I get sore shoulders when i use arms crossed and sore wrists using the other option.

I like the rack position, keep my elbows up which keeps my back straight and posture good, I just have to stretch my wrist really well before I start otherwise I arch my back to much

^ not a bad clip, demo's the straps well

However after he made the point about being even on the bar several times, either he wasn't even on the bar or the centre knurling is out.

Ride29er, if your back is arching it's because you are dropping your elbows. A good stretch for this is to have the bar in the rack, walk I in to it like you are going to pick it up for a front squat. Then have a buddy put their hands on the bar outside yours, then put their shoulders under your elbows and gently stand up. The bar shouldn't leave the rack, so they need to put downward pressure on it as they stand. As your elbows come up make sure your hips don't come forward. Hope that makes sense..

I use the front rack position, hands just outside shoulders, elbows pointing inwards. Bar sits just on the finger tips, and behind the front delts/on the throat.

This is what I do as well. Only difference is that the bar sits on three fingers of each hand, the thumb and pinky is free. In this way I find that I can drive the elbows higher.

^ not a bad clip, demo's the straps well

However after he made the point about being even on the bar several times, either he wasn't even on the bar or the centre knurling is out.

Ride29er, if your back is arching it's because you are dropping your elbows. A good stretch for this is to have the bar in the rack, walk I in to it like you are going to pick it up for a front squat. Then have a buddy put their hands on the bar outside yours, then put their shoulders under your elbows and gently stand up. The bar shouldn't leave the rack, so they need to put downward pressure on it as they stand. As your elbows come up make sure your hips don't come forward. Hope that makes sense..

I only arch If my wrists/shoulders are not stretched, my elbows are up but back is arched to get them up(if that makes sence) once im stretched properly I have no arch when elbows are up

I cant front rack to save my life. I just use the ssb bar back wards which lets me grip it like a military press.

I recently started Front Squatting due to flexibility issues in my arms/shoulders for rear squatting. Have been doing the cross armed grip, but am definitely going to buy straps and make the change.

I originally went with cross arms, because clean grip hurt my wrists, then switched to using straps after reading about some of the down sides of cross-arm technique. Now, I've worked a bit on my clean grip and honestly, it's mostly about technique. All I did is taking a wider grip so that the wrists are outside the shoulders, then setup one side at a time, wind the elbows in (as well as up) and magic, extreme wrist flexion no longer required and position is fine. This winds up the shoulders and elbows and creates a lot more tension than using straps. Now I'm just working on the strength to keep everything there.

If you are missing flexibility, work on it. Stretching wrists and smashing lats and triceps helps (particularly tris - smash them on the smooth part of the barbell as a warmup).

I reckon everyone who trains should be able to form a good clean grip, in the same way that everyone who has a modicum of athleticism should be able to squat below parallel. Alternative grips are fine, but for me they were a crutch and held me back from missing a lot of the benefits of front squatting.

I struggle to hell with them. Tried all the grips and strap options and in the end I bought a Front Squat Harness from Get Strength in NZ.

It works really well and am now doing bodyweight front squats for reps whereas before the pain in the wrist or collar bone was the limiting factor.

You look a bit of a nob in it though so training at home has its advantages there.

Well worth a consideration though.