• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Full body or split for beginner?

Alpha Moth

I'm 72kg 179cm or so and trying to put on mass/weight. Would a full body workout give me better results than a split? Would the difference be much bigger? Currently I do a push/pull/legs routine, I can see a difference already in just 1 month... Would I be maybe better off on something like SS? Here is my current routine. Does it matter too much what routine I do if my diet is in check ( I get around 3,500 calories a day) and my lifts are progressing in weight?
Nothing fancy here, mainly compound lifts..

push day:
bench press 3x6
military press 3x8-10 (I seam to not be able to get my numbers much on this, should I maybe lower the volume to 6 reps or so?)
skull crushers 2x8-10
incline bench 3x6 or dips 3 X 8-10( just when I have enough energy - sometimes don't do it, sometimes do)

pull day:

dead lifts 4x4
Pull ups 3x10 (with weights if I can do over 10 on the day)
dumbbell bent-over rows 3x8-10
forearms
chin ups (usually as a finisher)

legs day:
squats 3x5
barbell lunges 3x8-10
hack squats 3x8-10
calves

Any tips?

LIft heavy, eat lots and perform the copmounds and you'll grow.

A more productive routine would be.

Day 1
Squat
Bench
Row
Calf

Day 2
Deadlift
Military Press
Chins
CGBP

Day 3
Squat
RDL
Bench
Cleans

Base your workouts around full body 3 times per week.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have rotating collars on my bar I've bought my own equipment... so I can't do cleans. Nothing super cool, just enough resistance to last me a year or so I hope till i can buy a olympic set. I've built my own cage (welder - fitter..) so that's all I need actually.

RDL is a romanian deadlift? What is CGBP?

Thanks for your input, though. Would the bench press on the same day as the OH make my OH weaker? I usually do the compound lifts first.

I'd pick up a copy of starting strength and practical programming and follow those until you know how to train yourself (some years).

btw, can I see a pic of your cage?

Hey I'm in Newcastle too.

I've bought SS a week ago, I'm around 1/4 through. It's a pretty boring, but informative read.

I'm still waiitng on some metal from One Steel, so the cage isn't finished yet.

I've bought SS a week ago, I'm around 1/4 through. It's a pretty boring, but informative read.

I started as a complete begineer on SS a few months ago and I'm really loving it. My gym instructor gave me exercises on machines and a few compounds. I loved doing the compound movements so much thats why I started SS.

Where abouts in newcastle? I'm from maitland. Most of the gyms are shit around here - the forum doesnt even have a flat floor...

Yeah its a pretty dry read but the guy really knows his stuff, make sure you pick up practical programming too. I wish I'd never read anything else.

As much as it sucks now that you've already bought a standard set you're going to need an olympic. I put 120kg on my squat within the first month - thats enough to bend any 1" bar. You can pick up olympic sets cheap from gymandfitness, an excellent investment.

btw - I have a power rack of my own, its commercial and fully welded but has been sitting in someone's backyard for a couple of years so it needs some work on it to get rid of the surface rust. I was wondering how much it would cost/ where to go to get it galvanized and the welds checked? would mean a tonne to me if you could hook me up somewhere.

btw - how much do you think it would have cost to build your rack had another welder put it together?

Yea, I know I will need an Oly Set, but I am going to see my GF in Germany in Jan, so I'm short of cash.
I'm in Lemon Tree Passage at the moment... There isn't even a gym around here, so I picked up a bench and around 110kg in weights for like 180$ ( I had 180kg, but had to tell that lot for my plane ticket). I'm definitely going to get an oly set asap, probably next year though. 120kg on your squat in one month? geez.

My uncle is a mechanic and works in an industry crescent type thing, and has friends that weld and so for us for free. I can ask him to ask someone how much it would cost, just if he remembers.
I'll go look at what my steel had costed me on Monday, we're building it to look a little like this. i45.tinypic.com/13yeybm.jpg (can't link... copy and paste it) but just wider longer legs on the base so we can bolt it to our garage floor.

Last edited:
Yea, I know I will need an Oly Set, but I am going to see my GF in Germany in Jan, so I'm short of cash.
I'm in Lemon Tree Passage at the moment... There isn't even a gym around here, so I picked up a bench and around 110kg in weights for like 180$ ( I had 180kg, but had to tell that lot for my plane ticket). I'm definitely going to get an oly set asap, probably next year though. 120kg on your squat in one month? geez.

My uncle is a mechanic and works in an industry crescent type thing, and has friends that weld and so for us for free. I can ask him to ask someone how much it would cost, just if he remembers.
I'll go look at what my steel had costed me on Monday, we're building it to look a little like this. i45.tinypic.com/13yeybm.jpg (can't link... copy and paste it) but just wider longer legs on the base so we can bolt it to our garage floor.

haha, I know what you mean with travel expenses - a few months ago I failed to give way and woke up with a paramedic next to me - needless to say my gym plans went bye-bye for a while :( and yeah, you'll be suprised how much weight you'll put on things with a solid diet/decent sleep!

My dad's paying to get it galvanized and the welds patched so I'm not too worried. That design looks very solid, and with australian steel/local welding should be as tough as, good luck with it!

btw - starting strength is definitely the best program around.

With the WO Shrek posted, what can I do instead of cleans? Pendlay rows?

And "chins" are palm facing towards me? exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/WtChinup.html]Weighted Chin-up

when I look here it looks just like a pull up? I always though chin ups were the other way around.

Starting strength is THE book in terms of when your starting out. It's a little bit of a dry read at times....but it really is worth double it's weight in gold

Yeah mate, you can do row's if you want instead of cleans. I think you'd get more out of cleans than rows, but you'll still grow. You've got to row to grow!!

Well i can't do cleans, haha. Should I just do the one from the SS wiki that mark uses in his gym where he rotate chin ups/pull ups with deadlifting only once a week?

Whether you do cleans or not, get collars for those weights. Search on youtube for "weightlifting accidents" to see why. But not before eating dinner ;)

Well i can't do cleans, haha. Should I just do the one from the SS wiki that mark uses in his gym where he rotate chin ups/pull ups with deadlifting only once a week?

thats the way man, chin ups/pull ups are twice the exercise rows will ever be. Also you should consider doing cleans when you've got the equipment!

Disagree here, chin- ups and rows are two different exercises, both must be be done for complete shoulder health.

The bent over row Dave draper style should be a powerlift IMO.

vertical press
horizontal press
vertical pull
horizontal pull

dont leave anything out, I love chins and rows, military press and bench press

I am pretty sure i do a full body workout each time, but i do different exercises for each body part, I have 3 different routines, which I have only just started doing.

Day 1
bench
Squats
upright rows
wg pull ups
curls *

Rest day

Day 2
Deads
incline db presses
bb rows under hand / over hand
dips
front raises*

Rest day

Day 3
Military press
squats
upright rows ( squats and rows replaced with power cleans in future)
wg pull ups
hammy curls*
calf raises

2 rest days

* = if I get time or still have some energy

Last edited:
Disagree here, chin- ups and rows are two different exercises, both must be be done for complete shoulder health.

The bent over row Dave draper style should be a powerlift IMO.

I used to believe in the vertical/horizontal balance but tbh its a non issue.

Pull ups are better for your bench than rows because you move more of your body through space which generates more work, not only that but the bent row has a lot of potential for cheating.

In terms of the deadlift i think the power clean is a better assistance exercise because it helps built explosiveness off the floor.

I persisted with rows for ages but once my power rack is galvanised I plan to ditch them completely and just do cleans, pull ups and deadlifts for my back work. When my deadlift gets over 250kg and starts to stall at once a week I'll rotate it with partials to the knees (explosiveness off the floor and grip is my sticking point).