• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hack Squats or deficit deads for Deads assistance

hakea

Currently doing my own modified version of Kortes 3x3 Powerlifting routine.

As part of the routine you are to do deads 3x a week at low weight, high volume. which for me was okay because my max dead is about 150kg. however the volume for deads and squats 3x a week is starting to get a bit too much for my lower back.

Im thinking of substituting my 2x a week of deads out for either hack squats. Would this be an ideal assistance exercise or should would the deficit deadlift be the way to go?

thanks in advance for any advice, appreciated.

Run the program as it's written then make one adjustment for the next cycle
ONE adjustment, not 7, not your own modded version, not two programs combined or any other crap. ONE change

Ive already run the program through twice. thiis is for the 3rd time through with good progress but my lower back is starting to full the punishment now. how did you get such a high deadlift for low bodyweight Oni? do you deadlift 3x a week?

1. I am built for deadlifting so will have a good deadlift regardless of what I do
2. I make the best progress with two training sessions a week. I either do a session on Monday/Thursday or an AM & PM session on Wednesday. One is either deficit or halting deadlifts done fairly light and the other is heavy. I never grind deadlifts as it ruins form 90% of the time and best results are had if you've been training less than 6 years just doing lots of volume with good technique

With measures I've tried so far, for me personally, what seems to work is to focus mainly on squatting and DL sparingly. Pulling with any kind of frequency/volume seems to result in going no where for me. Note:

- DL is easily my best lift - 192.5 or more recently an easy 180 x 3 @77.5kg 5"11" and my 140kg (really ~135 with good speed and upright position) olympic squat sucks in comparison, even though I spend far more time on it.
- I'm built more for pulling, lanky build 5"11" with longish arms.
- I'm slow to recover from DLs, even when going no where near max or repping out. Could be a technique issue, I feel it's solid, but will get it checked out.
- I've previously herniated my L4-L5 and lift with no belt (soon to be recitified).

Maybe try pulling less and squatting more, if you are looking for a different measure to try. Can't offer much of an opinion on deficit pulls or hackies since I've never done with significant frequency or duration.

Last edited:
After thinking about this I would replace one deadlift day with a box deadlift day. I'd set the "boxes" up as two plates stacked on top of each other on either side which the bar will stand on. I'd keep the percentages the same. This will keep the stress off the lower back and give good carry over from the floor

Box squats are dildos for the raw athlete

From an injury point of view, after having a good 3 months without deadlifting, i found doing powercleans atleast maintained my pulling strength.

Going from a 240 max, then three months later without deadlifting hitting 200 for triples after 3 sessions. Which is not that impressive for my size, i still reckon doing cleans has some carry over to the deadlift without the taxing effect of the large weights.

When you think about it, a deadlift is a half range powerclean. So maybe chucking powercleans for 5 sets of triples on your middle workout.

I.may be half pissed, so ignore anything that doesnt make sense.

some sound advice.

Ill starting doing some box deadlift, same as deficit dead lift? Is the technique the same pretty much but basically pulling the weight from a deficit? should i drop the weight totally so its at a "dead" each time?

some sound advice.

Ill starting doing some box deadlift, same as deficit dead lift? Is the technique the same pretty much but basically pulling the weight from a deficit? should i drop the weight totally so its at a "dead" each time?

You place the bar on boxes. A box either side of the bar. It's the opposite of a deficit deadlift.
And yes, dead stop every time. If you have access to a deadlift bar, they will also help a lot

When i look at his videos he doesnt box squat with box squat form either, it looks pretty like his regular form. I dunno how you can even do a proper box squat without groove briefs on lol

I can do them fine

Sumo on here trains raw and wide as well

I don't think they're a "if your box squat increase x your squat and dead increase x" exercise, but as a GPP assistance style exercise for the hips/hams I would suggest there is a use for them

I am weary that box squats will fuck with your raw squatting groove too much. Low bar squats are great for the pulls in olympic lifting for example but it causes you to catch the snatch too low...
I guess if you're built to box squat and that is naturally how you squat it doesn't matter

Deads and the very similar variations build the deadlift. Anything else like squats, box squats, GMs, rack pulls just builds general strength but for most people isn't going to increase the deadlift unless you are deadlifting.

I can't believe box squats are getting sledged. I use them raw to reduce the amount of stress on the knees as my body can't handle too much ballistic transitioning any more. They work the bum, back and hammies. Last time I checked, they are the prime movers in the deadlift.