• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hi Low Set Fadi’s Style.

Fadi

Here’s a quickie I thought of just few minutes ago…

Do u feel like doing something different with your training, who doesn’t it?! Ok then, let me see if I can inject some life into your workouts for mmm, for 6 weeks tops. Is that alright with you? Great, then let me show u what I’ve got in mind for you.

We’re gonna hit our muscles with a heavy weighted low repetition set of 4, then immediately follow it up by a set of 20 wake up the dead beauties!

This can be done with pre-conceived weights based on your 1RM, or it can be done based on what u feel your maximum weights are at those two very varied set of reps I’ve included above.

I’ll use myself here for an example, performing the squats movement ok.

Best ever 1RM: 200kg
Best ever 20reps: 130kg

Working out the percentages in order to base your own numbers on would be as follows…, it’s an approximation though okay.

200kg x 95% = 190kg/4-5 reps
200kg x 65% = 130kg/20-22 reps

If you don’t like any of the above percentages, then see what u can blast for 4 reps, then reduce it by 35% and go for 20 reps.

Week #1: Perform 1 set of the above twice a week.
Week #2: As above but aim to increase the weight by a factor of 2.5%
Week#3: Go back to your original weights of week 1, but add 1 more set to the mix.
Week #4: Increase weight by another 2.5% performing 2 sets.
Week #5: Back to the weights of week 2 but adding 1 more set for a total of 3 sets
Week #6: Increase the weight by 2.5% from your previous max and perform 4 sets but only once/week this time.

Week #7: Something new, something different. Or simply take few days of rest whilst writing yourself another program starting week#8.

It goes without saying, that u would only be performing one single exercise per bodypart, especially for week#6!

Fadi.

Last edited:
OMG Fadi, is this what you are planning on doing for the next 6-7 weeks?

What's the main objective for this? To increase your 1RM?
I'm fairly ignorant on this stuff, so sorry for what might be a stupid question!

:)

I'll be doing something similar to this for the time being on Fridays, working up to a heavy triple and then doing a high rep set at 75% the weight of the triple, for as many reps as I'm willing to tolerate (probably won't be 20 reps on squats, but starting out I might get somewhere in the 12-15 rep range if my head's in it).

I'll be doing something similar to this for the time being on Fridays, working up to a heavy triple and then doing a high rep set at 75% the weight of the triple, for as many reps as I'm willing to tolerate (probably won't be 20 reps on squats, but starting out I might get somewhere in the 12-15 rep range if my head's in it).
You've got it right there, 20 reppers are a big mental challenge, its too easy to say fuck it and dump the bar back on the rack but satisfying as hell to finish.

You've got it right there, 20 reppers are a big mental challenge, its too easy to say fuck it and dump the bar back on the rack but satisfying as hell to finish.
Yeah, there's a reason why I've never attempted widowmakers. To do 10+ reps submaximally is mentally hard enough. I'm not sure I've ever done a true 10RM squat, and I can only imagine I'd be crying like a bitch doing my 10RM for 20 reps.

OMG Fadi, is this what you are planning on doing for the next 6-7 weeks?

What's the main objective for this? To increase your 1RM?
I'm fairly ignorant on this stuff, so sorry for what might be a stupid question!

:)
Hi Viv,

No, this isn't what's on the next menu for me, I've got something with a bit more bite to it than what I've got here.

Again no, no 1RM increase or anything like that, it's just a different way of training that would benefit anyone who is not currently doing something similar. It's about having some variety, a change to the way our muscles do things. It's about breaking a routine up and perhaps spicing it, rejuvenating it with something new, both physically as well as psychologically. That is all really.

Fadi.

Hi Viv,

No, this isn't what's on the next menu for me, I've got something with a bit more bite to it than what I've got here.

Again no, no 1RM increase or anything like that, it's just a different way of training that would benefit anyone who is not currently doing something similar. It's about having some variety, a change to the way our muscles do things. It's about breaking a routine up and perhaps spicing it, rejuvenating it with something new, both physically as well as psychologically. That is all really.

Fadi.
Now I'm really intrigued.

Well, I certainly surprised myself today. 3x82.5kg followed by 20x62.5kg. I wasn't expecting anywhere near that much. I've been hungrier today than I have been in a long time, and I have a feeling my sleep problems will be solved tonight.

Well, I certainly surprised myself today. 3x82.5kg followed by 20x62.5kg. I wasn't expecting anywhere near that much. I've been hungrier today than I have been in a long time, and I have a feeling my sleep problems will be solved tonight.
Well done Ryan. Were those weights for the bench press Sir?

Fadi.

Nope, that was squats. My 3RM's around 100kg, so the triple's not so exciting, but the set of 20...I really didn't think I had it in me. I have a feeling that being in this thread right before going to the gym was influential in driving me to go all the way to 20 reps. What I'm doing is based around Madcow's 5x5. On Monday, in Madcow you do 5 sets, adding weight with each set, until you reach a top set of 5, which is the same weight as the previous Friday's triple. On Friday, you do 4x5 ramping up, and then 1x3 at 2.5% heavier than Monday's top set, and a back off set of 8x75% the top weight. I'm doing a second set at the top weight on Monday, and "8+" on Friday, which this week turned out to be 20 reps.

For once I have to say it's a good thing I'm single, because my conscience couldn't bare what I would have done to my wife's husband today.