• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hit

Set up a circuit using plate loaded barbells. A circuit that consisted of 1) Press, 2) Squat, 3) Stiff-leg deadlift, 4) Bent-arm pullover, 5) Curl.

After a general warm-up and a specific warm-up for each movement, you then get after it.

Your first set of the press was a tough set of 10. Then squat a near limit set of 20. Stumble over to the bar on the floor and do a rugged set of SLDL's for 30. Flop on a flat bench and struggle with bent-arm pullovers until you can't. Finish with a set of curls.

Catch your breath and go through it again. This time, because you're whooped, your goal is to try and get at least 50% of the reps you got the first time through.

Do that twice a week. Add weight when you can. After 6-8 weeks, you would be fitter, stronger and more muscular all over. Guaranteed.

I like it.
It looks like hard work though!!!
I think it could also work well broken down into shorter sessions performed more frequently.

I've done a variation of this for the past 8 weeks now.
A weights type circuit consisting of 4 exercises (at least 1 or 2 major compounds each session).
Only goes for 15 minutes, always puffing throughout the workout due to very short rest times.
3 days on, 1 day off.
However, I'm up over 6kg in 8 weeks, which is very suprising as I've only been on 3000 calories a day, was only planning on being up about 1.5kg-2kg by now.
Gains appear to be quite lean too.

If this workout is done correctly.
You should find it necessary to sit down.* If you merely “feel like” sitting down, then- the intensity of work was not enough.
What we are trying to achieve is improved metabolic conditioning in an efficient manner.

Hi guys, I'm currently doing the stronglifts routine, I'm wondering if this HIT routine will effect my rest days? Sorry for the newbie question.

Hi guys, I'm currently doing the stronglifts routine, I'm wondering if this HIT routine will effect my rest days? Sorry for the newbie question.

This routine would not be suitable for a beginner.

If you followed the routine and followed it properly, two workouts a week would be all you could do.

Burnout on the type of workout is something you would need to monitor.

Well this sounds like fun. I will give it a go. Currently I am doing duumbell complexes twice per week + 3 workouts. Might start with just one per week or it may affect my recovery.
My Dumbell Complex looks like this.

Lunges x 12 (6 each leg)
Front Squat x 12
RDL x 12
Good Mornings x 12
Standing Press x 12
Bent over row x 12
Floor Press x 12

I did this while on keto. After every circuit was on the ground rolling in crazy pain due to the lactic acid. Dreaded doing each workout.

Well this sounds like fun. I will give it a go. Currently I am doing duumbell complexes twice per week + 3 workouts. Might start with just one per week or it may affect my recovery.
My Dumbell Complex looks like this.

Lunges x 12 (6 each leg)
Front Squat x 12
RDL x 12
Good Mornings x 12
Standing Press x 12
Bent over row x 12
Floor Press x 12

Waterbury's?

If not it's bloody similar . . .

Cool. Cos I'm lazy (and curious) what changes and why (if any reason other than just to do something different) have been made?

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to properly construct a complex I'd be interested to hear. I've always thought it'd make sense to do the weaker lifts (eg BOR) first then the stronger ones last (eg back squats) yet I've never come across a complex that works using my 'idea' lol

Mainly with the reps.
12 instead of 6 with the squat, rows and floor presses. Just to make it harder.

We do something similar, we swap movements around

We call it the effort workout

It is dreaded by all. Only compounds, till you drop.

Do that twice a week. Add weight when you can. After 6-8 weeks, you would be fitter, stronger and more muscular all over. Guaranteed.
Andy, are you advocationg doing this twice per week and nothing else or in addition to weight training?

Andy, are you advocationg doing this twice per week and nothing else or in addition to weight training?

I'd firstly recommend a complete rest from weight training prior to what I outlined Adrian
A week of eating and sleeping.

If one goes at it properly two should be enough and NOTHING else.

It's working both systems here aerobic and anaerobic you should puffing like a goat, no rest all to fatigue.

Thanks for the question Adrian.