• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Holding your breath during exercises

Ok I'll try again...

I'm often puffing lightly at the end of a set of dips, simply due to breathing technique I feel. Dips don't seem to me to be an exercise you should be slightly out of breath (I may be wrong?).

I often feel like I'm not breathing properly during them. I mucked around with it a bit, and in the end just decided to breath however the fuaaarrrk I felt like.

Whos playing games with me here? Just delete this and last post please. Fuarrrrrk, this is just too hard. That's what she said.

EDIT -no worries Groar, ta brah

Btw on a deadlift you breath in a large amount of air and hold your breath on the way up. This protects the spine abd gives more power then before you release the the bar let go off half your breath as you guide it down.

Breathing is broscience

Everything is bro science in bodybuilding the only thing that isn't is that free weights build u up better and that machines are for the gullible! and the smith machine should only be used to hang your towel between sets!!!!

squat, breath at the top, squat, exhale at the top.
bench, same
deads, various ways, breath before grabbing the bar, lift, exhale at the top, inhale, lower weight, and lift again
or breath before grabbing the bar, lift, exhale, lower, inhale, lift.

breath before grabbing the bar because you can get more air in becausr you are not under pressure from the weight. breathin at the top can allow you to get mre air because you are upright, much like the squat. breathing at the bottom, your not under pressure but your in a squat possition. both have pros and cons

didn't read thread but I saw this and this is what I do

Who holds their breath during exertion of a given exercise, I'm interested to know.

Whether that be one repitition or multiple rep's to fatigue.

I breathe out on the pull of a deadlift, from thrust to lock.... tried holding breath, no difference but feel dizz