• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

home gym - how's this set up sound?

11th hour

I'm shopping around for equipment to set up a home gym. I've used gyms a little in the past but not really familiar with all the options available. I'm after a set up for free weights and want to build strength and stability.

I'm going from exercising without weights (squats, lunges, push ups etc) but want to get gear that my boyfriend can use and find challenging too.

My guess at a good set up to work with my budget is:

Barbell
Dumbells
Weights (maybe 50 or 80kg set to start?)
flat bench
power rack (with chin ups bar and dips rack)

My questions are:

1) Does this seem like a reasonable starting set up?

2) If I want to do dips, chin ups and knee raises is it reasonable to do this with the power rack or should I be looking at a separate chin ups/dips tower? (Can I do knee raises using the dips handles with elbows locked?)

3) If buying any of this gear 2nd hand is there any pitfalls to look out for?

Last edited:
I second shrek but get more weight now unless your deadlift and squat is well below 80. I would watch out for the usual ie rust, abuse and general poor quality equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, yes and yes. Start lifting dude.

Shrek, look again, 11th hour isn't a dude.

The set up sounds good, thats all you need to get started.
You can do the knee raises hanging from the chin up bar.
It's farly easy to improvise a chin up bar and dip handles, if the cage doesn't have them.

All I have is a bench, squat rack barbell and dumbells and lots of plates (weights). I'd get a cage if I could start over:)

Mike.

Thanks guys.

Any suggestions on how much weight I should get to start? I've never done dead lifts and no squats with weights. I think my boyfriend will be able to lift a lot more than me but he doesn't want to get right into body building - just wants to bulk up a bit. What's a good starting weight for guys?

Depends on your strength. Start with a relatively low weight, even if it is only 10 or 20kg, then steadily increase, you will know soon enough how much weight you will need.

Same goes for BF.

P.S - The best way to "Bulk up a bit" is to get right into bodybuilding, half heartedness will get him nowhere, fast.

Thanks. Think I'll just look for the best deal I can get on weights and add more later as/if needed.

I meant to ask also - is there any obvious place to look for best deals (either online or in Brisbane)? Do any stores sell 2nd hand or factory seconds? I'm checking classified ads too - haven't seen any power racks/cages there though.

Check out our sponsers
http://ausbb.com/advertisers-sponsors-corner/10585-ausbb-sponsors.html

littel bloke fitness has heaps of seco hand stuff,

gym direct has heaps of new equiptment, inc racks.

I would look at a long term solution that will allow you to expand on in the years ahead,

11th hour maybe you should put a post in teh introductions thread, so we can see were you are at, and were you want to go,...then get you BF to join. Start a journal it will keep you motivated and honest with yourself.

Bi meaning 2, sexual meaning male or female, I stand by my comment.

C`mon mate ya gotta give me that one!

adj.
Designed for or suitable to both sexes: unisex clothing; unisex hairstyles.
Not distinguished or distinguishable on the basis of sex; androgynous in appearance: cultivated a unisex look.

Actually we both may be right.......
Bisexual
Of or relating to both sexes.

bi or Uni, its just a smoke screen.

Really who has ever used the term "Dude" in relation to a female?
Dudette (spelling) is the female term.
Or has that gone PC now too. Hardly ever hear the word "actress" any more, they are all actors!

I still say Shrek need to have his eyes checked, you still seeing shit Shrek? :p:p

Dude is bi-sexual, can be used for male and female. :)

Nah, women aren't dudes, regardless if they're uni or bi :D.

But PowerSports is allowed to call me bro.

Welcome to the forum, 11th hour. Also keep an eye out on auction houses selling off equipment from closed-down gyms.

Thats a very good point, i saw a power rack go so cheaply on graysonline.com.au too bad I only saw it after it ended.

I call females at work Dudes and they don't mind. I think they think it's flattering in a weird kinda way, anyhow I digress.

11th hour buy that gym and lift heavy.

Thanks for the link Trofius. What do you mean when you say you would look at a long term solution that will allow you to expand in the years ahead? Do you see problems with expanding on the set up I suggested? I have posted in the introduction thread too.

The good news is a family member has some gym equipment they used in the past that I can use if I want - they're not sure what they still have so will have to go over and check it out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Trofius. What do you mean when you say you would look at a long term solution that will allow you to expand in the years ahead? Do you see problems with expanding on the set up I suggested? I have posted in the introduction thread too.

The basic setup sounds fine, Just rememeber that a sturdy good quality bench will have you feeling more confident than alot of cheeper ones that move or wobbles when you are lifting..Also an incline / flat /( even decline), adjustable bench will offer much more versitility.

From someone who buys a lot of used equipment, the best advice I can give you with buying used plates and bars is to ensure that your hole sizes all match.

The worst mistake (IMHO) you can make when buying used equipment from multiple sellers is to buy a beautiful Aust Barbell 7 footer that's got a 29mm weight shaft and find that all of your used plates have a 27mm hole and won't fit on the bar.

Whenever you look at used plates, I reckon it can't hurt to take your bar along to test it.

Last edited:
Brilliant advice.

I had an Australian BB with a 29mm hole. When I got it home I found that some of the cheap plates I had were 27mm. It wasnt a big deal then because I had 7 bars and 500kg of plates, just be careful.