• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How big/small is the gap between your 20rep weight and 1RM weight?

GHOSTrun

Just wondering how much difference you have between your 20 rep squat and 1 rep max squat weight?

For me it is about 40kg.

Looking through other people's training journals, my gap makes my 1rm look weak, but on the other hand, what does that say about people with a larger gap?

Could this just ring true to the ol' fast twitch vs. slow twitch fibre thing ergo who's geared for speed(high 1rm) and who's geared for endurance(high rep weight)?

I think the way you train plays a role

When my crew do a lot of high rep stuff, their 20 rep squat goes up, it also drops alarmingly when doing 1RM stuff

We are experimenting with doing both, splitting the week in 2

squats, 45kg gap.

20reps @ 95, or 68% of 1RM max
1rep @ 140,

so pretty close to your 40kg difference

20rm 110, 1rm 155. 45kg difference.
I've been doing 20reppers for the last few sessions, so I expect to improve on that number greatly over the coming months.

20 x 100kg fairly easily and havent tried heavier.

1 x 150kg

Keeping in mind i did the 20x100kg after like 6 months of not going above 5 reps.

1rm 165, 20rm 70 - highest I've ever tried. Generally I find 10 reps high enough for my
Liking

I've never done a 1 RM
But I would perform a 5x5 at 120kg followed by a back-off set 20 x 80kg weekly, squatting twice a week and dead lifting once among other upper body exercises.
At a body weight of 85~87kg.

LOL @ Gongi.

Most I've 20 repped is 2 x 20 @ 75kg
Most I've squatted is 2 x 100kg.
However I really don't think I've been training long enough, or squatted enough for my figures to count for much

I'v only ever done a 20rep set once, was months ago at 70kg. Wasn't that hard, probably could do 100kg now. Might try soon.

i think if you train for 20 reps your 1rm will go up with it but not so much vice versa. so people who train for 20 reps will have a similar difference but people who dont will have a bigger difference. mine was about the same as others, my best was 120x20 and 160x1 around the same time. i did 110x20 the other night and my 1rm is probably 145 or 150, not really sure.

the thing is pretty much everyone posting in here is a 20 reps person. the other guys who are scared of 20 reps wont post their difference because they only did them once and quit at rep 14 so the population sample is skewed. :p

Last edited:
20 reps 162.5
1rm 220

Also I've found none of this if your 1rm is going up your 20 rep won't. If your squat is getting stronger your squat is getting stronger.

The dif is 1rm is strength and making sure you have your technique/groove as second nature. 20 reps is just ball busting effort. Very few people truely fail on 20reps almost all I've seen quit.

In fact the only person I've really seen fail a rep was max.

20 reps 162.5
1rm 220

Also I've found none of this if your 1rm is going up your 20 rep won't. If your squat is getting stronger your squat is getting stronger.

The dif is 1rm is strength and making sure you have your technique/groove as second nature. 20 reps is just ball busting effort. Very few people truely fail on 20reps almost all I've seen quit.

In fact the only person I've really seen fail a rep was max.

i wasnt saying i think it wont, just "not so much". e.g. if you can squat 120x20 you will be able to squat 160x1 but if you can squat 160x1 you cant necessarily squat 120x20.

but i agree that 99% of failures in 20 reps are mental not physical and maybe that accounts for the above. maybe anyone who can squat 160 can do 120x20 physically but they dont have the mental training of someone who works on their 20 reps. thats both the genius and the evilness of 20 rep squats, you can always do one more...