• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How big/small is the gap between your 20rep weight and 1RM weight?

Spartacus

yes, it is hard to compare 20 reps and 1 rep, unless one trains for both.

i have always got about 20 reps on 70% of my max, although probably would not if had strict lockout on each rep.

when at peak and benching about 170kg (without pause), I could outrep my mate on reps, although he was a lot stronger for a single 9about 200kg). Fact was i have always done a lot of reps (and short rests), whereas he was always doing sets of no more than 6 reps (with full rest).

I read in one Soviet sports Review in 1980s that 1 rep means 4 reps on 90%, 10 reps on 80%, and 20 reps on 70%.

While it works out roughly for me, many other books have different interpretations.

As PTC indicates, depends very much on training specificity.

i think it depends on genetics too

i was the fastest sprinter in my class at school but i got smashed in endurance/long distance running. no training in either

before pro raw one i benched 142.5 but could only double 130

Spartacus

Yes, Fred Hatfield talks about people with a greater proportion of fast twitch fibres being able to fewer reps on lower percentage of max.

However, I did read an article that suggested that Ted Arcidi did about 20 reps on 495 not long before his 700 pound bench (which is bout 70%).

20RM 80kg
1RM 140kg

So, a 60kg gap. My conditioning is shit and I hate 20 reppers. I normally train to a max of 5 reps so if I try 20 my numbers drop way off as my heart and lungs (and legs) explode.

Cheers,
Mike

i could easily do 130kg for 20 i reckon. i can do 120 quite easily. well not easily, nothing is but i can.. 1 RM at the moment is probably about 180 as i have not been lifting much lately last night i did squat 170kg 2 x 2 so hope its still round 180 for 1 so a 50 kg difference