• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How can I make light weights heavier?

K

Koncept

Hi guys,

I've realised I'm not going to have time to head down to my gym tonight (it's not close enough) but I don't want to miss a session so am going to try and squeeze in 30/40 mins using what I have at home - the problem is I don't have a lot of weight so I am looking for ideas to make what I have heavier/harder to work with.

So here's what I have in terms of equipment:
- Bench
- Squat rack (the bench poles rise up)
- Dumbbells
- 7' Barbell
- ezybar
- about 80kg total in weights

I'm looking for replacements, or harder versions mainly for squat and deadlift - the weights should be fine for the other excersises. My other option is simply to do high reps and use this opportunity to get some strength endurance in but I'm still interested in ideas in case I can use them another time.

try this
50kg on bar start at 7 reps all the way through on each movememt. no break then rest when 7 reps for each movement is done then start again ladder style 6,5,4,3,2,1 that 50kg will become heavy

BB Row
Hang clean
Military press
Front squat
Deadlift
Back sqaut

Pre Exhaust.

Do lunges before squats, do SLDL before regular deadlifts, or good mornings before regular deadlifts, side laterals before MP, flyes before bench press, one arm rows rather than 2.

Cut the rest period to 30 seconds.

Make the squats pause squats, sit in the bottom for a count of 3.

Stand on a 6" block for deadlifts

Hope this helps

Awesome great ideas guys, thanks for the input - I think I can use a bit of everything there ;), reps for both of you.

EDIT sorry markos will have to wait as i have to spread the reps around ha ha.

Don't you hate it when that happens?

There are some people on here who I'd love to give reputation points more often, but I can't!!

Next to your post you'll see a set of scales. Click on those and you can add or subtract "reputation" to a user. That leads to that green square under your name - which could become a red square if enough people subtract reps.

You only gain or lose reps if the person adding or subtracting them has some themselves.

Seppo forums love that stuff, it fits into that whole high school popularity contest thing they have. I think we shouldn't have it at all.

Do you think Pistol squats could cause knee issues Hulk? Given the balance required and if you add weight I feel like it could go bad quick.

I can't do them, not enough balance or flexibility.

I don't know who does them, apart from cross fit trainees.
But it sure will make your light weight feel heavier.

Ahhh I always thought that was to see if the user is online/offline
Just hold your cursor over each thing.
current reps:
reputation_pos.gif

offline:
user_offline.gif
and online
user_online.gif

add/subtract reputation:
reputation.gif

this post is hurting my feelings,
report.gif

I saw a vid of a crossfitter doing Pistol squats standing on the handle of a kettlebell with another kettlebell in his hand. It looked scary.

[youtube]TWvIu7s-vIM[/youtube]

It just doesn't look good for your knees. Pretty impressive though.

Good idea but I think pistol squats would be working more the smaller muscles for balancing (not such a bad thing) but take away the ability to do heavier weights to work the quads and hamstring more. I'll only have a short time so looking to work the bigger muscles.