• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How important is the deadlift?

• How do I do it?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do them sometimes.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Can't grow your back without them.

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
I rate it high enough to do myself but don't think it is necessary.

Its made it into my program as one of 6 exercises I do, so it has benefits. But I don't realy rate it that high. I really feel I could replace it if I had more equipment.

Absolutely imperative in my opinion. Nothing else lets me know I have worked out quite like a deadlift does!

My back is the biggest / strongest part of my body, I don't train it often as I get too wide looking for my height, so I can build it quickly without much effort.

But I find that DLs are necessary of over all strength and the spinal erectors right downtown the glutes. There is nothing else that works as well for in these areas.

So, yes important , but I can easily build a back without them.
Hope this makes some sense.

Important enough to devote a day to i

Question
Is it risky doing high reps, 15 to 20?

I think so, for me anyway, the form tends to be a bit sloppy unless I really drop the weight. I tend to go not more than 8 depending on how heavy the weight is. Very taxing on the body.

I rate it as almost the most important, just behind the squat.
For me it's a good indicator of how I'm going strength wise. It's also quite a functional lift I believe. Hits so many important muscle groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Good exercise? Yes. Necessary? No. In saying that, I have noticed increased back growth this year, which has been the year in which I've quit listening to Riptards saying that more than 1 set of deadlifts a week will make you overtrain. Of course, this year, I've also gotten better at technique for pull ups, so, that's two things going on to generally improve lat use and overload throughout each training week.

Is that your opinion Ryan? I'm just interested in why you answered no they're not necessary, and the reasons why...

deads are most important as it is the 1 exercise that carries over into real life. after all we all pick up stuff off the ground every day

Is that your opinion Ryan? I'm just interested in why you answered no they're not necessary, and the reasons why...

Yes, that's my opinion.

My reasons for why I think they're not necessary:
1) Beneficial does not equal required.
2) What muscles are we overloading when we do deadlifts? Lats, traps, erectors, forearms, glutes, hamstrings (obviously we're using a lot more than this, but these are the main muscles at work). Can we practice progressive overload on each of those muscles without deadlifts? Yes.
3) Basically, deadlifts are a very good exercise, so if you're willing and able to do them, it would be worth doing, however from a bodybuilding perspective, is there any hypertrophy induced by deadlifts that can't be induced by other exercises? I don't think so. Trying to make up for them through other exercises will complicate things, and I don't really recommend it, but it's doable.

Ah no worries, it seems that maybe there are no 'required lifts' that everyone would agree on...so many people are quick to point out that squats, deadlifts and bench are not essential...is anything essential?

Ah no worries, it seems that maybe there are no 'required lifts' that everyone would agree on...so many people are quick to point out that squats, deadlifts and bench are not essential...is anything essential?

Exactly. No lift is essential.

From a bodybuilding point of view once you have built a base its def not essential but its always good to have in there. Alot of bodybuilders wont really like training heavy deads due to the fact that is does thicken the wasit/lower back etc which can fuck with the v-taper down the track.

From a bodybuilding point of view once you have built a base its def not essential but its always good to have in there. Alot of bodybuilders wont really like training heavy deads due to the fact that is does thicken the wasit/lower back etc which can fuck with the v-taper down the track.

This is for the benefit of programming for my wife - to avoid thickening up the waist/lower back, would you suggest that I keep her going with RDLs, rather than conventional deads?

She already has a good lower back from dancing (which I can only guess is from being dipped all the time, or south african genetics).