• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long do you train for?

How many hours do you train a day

• Under 1 hour

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 3-4 hours

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 4+ (can be split into double day sessions)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My goal is just to big and scary enough to tell boys to piss off of me doorstep without moving, I have 3 daughters and am not getting any younger. By the time the last one is old enough to have boys sniffing around Ill be near 50, no matter how strong I am or how tough I like to tell myself, a 20 yo young fit rugby player is someone I want to bluff not try and fight, so as long as my gym sessions allow me to do that I is a happy camper.

My goal is just to big and scary enough to tell boys to piss off of me doorstep without moving, I have 3 daughters and am not getting any younger. By the time the last one is old enough to have boys sniffing around Ill be near 50, no matter how strong I am or how tough I like to tell myself, a 20 yo young fit rugby player is someone I want to bluff not try and fight, so as long as my gym sessions allow me to do that I is a happy camper.

LMAO 2 daughters for me, similarly motivated

And that's fine.

The purpose of my threads is to gauge length of time spent in relation o your strength.

You don't need to be a good PLer.

If you train for strength, for any reason, I'm curious to know how long you train for.

Do stronger people choose to train for longer to get stronger?
Or do stronger people take longer to train?

I train for strength at the moment...and I generally throw whatever time I can at training while balancing commitements.
I would like to free up more time for training and get stronger but right now I think my strength is probably an accurate representation of my training input.

I think my strength is probably an accurate representation of my training input.

ld say this would be the same for everyone. l dont see anyone taking less time in the gym and improving quicker over someone who puts more hours in.

LMAO 2 daughters for me, similarly motivated

Same here... 4 year old and a 2 month old (with a 2 year old boy in the middle, who I will be getting under a barbell as soon as possible haha). I often say that the only reason I have tattoos, shave my head and go to the gym is so that when Bailey is a teenager, the boys will be wanting to have a long hard think before knocking on our door ;)

Currently I am training 6 mornings a week for about 1.5 hours lifting weights.

Footy training 3 nights a week for 1.5 hours

When I have spare time I will often go down to the gym and lift some more or do something for footy.

To be fair, not everyone is aiming to be a successful powerlifter...and some have kids, jobs, other interests that just take priority. And some just don't have access to a good gym as often as they'd like.

It wasn't meant as an attack. It was more to point out the obvious to wannabe powerlifters.

It wasn't meant as an attack. It was more to point out the obvious to wannabe powerlifters.

Nah all good, it didn't take it that way...
See my post above, I believe my strength level is where it should be considering the time i put in...which i hope to increase

Same here... 4 year old and a 2 month old (with a 2 year old boy in the middle, who I will be getting under a barbell as soon as possible haha). I often say that the only reason I have tattoos, shave my head and go to the gym is so that when Bailey is a teenager, the boys will be wanting to have a long hard think before knocking on our door ;)

Just grow a really healthy veggie patch. It's a healthy and self sustaining thing to do. Although by the time I have finished with them and scraped the left overs from my plate into the dogs' bowls, there's not much left over for fertilizer.

I train 8 times per week over 6 days at the moment.

3 of those sessions are conditioning/cardio sessions which last about 30mins and the remaining 5 sessions are the weights sessions that go for around 2.5 hours.

Saturday sessions are a little longer as i try do to a bit of conditioning at the end of the weights session.

Yeah definitely. But is it fair to say it correlates to peoples specific goals in most cases?

I guess if you're simply looking to get stronger to perform better at a specific sport, then training 2+ hours powerlifting each day could ultimately affect you negatively.

For those training shorter, is it a time factor or a goal factor? For me, its a goal related thing.

A lot of people with busy lives and kids still at home are time constrained. For those people it is important to make each session count and to just soldier on for year after year of monotonous training.

Once a base level of strength has been earned through years of effort, the training required to maintain that strength does not need to be that time consuming. Three sessions per week of 60-90 minutes. Strength is a lifetime of labour.

I view the strength lifestyle as a binary system for most of the people involved.

1. Burn the candle brightly for half as long and in 20 years time look back on how great you once were

2. Put in consistent but slower effort, continue to be strong forever but wonder (with or without regret) what you could have done had you taken option (1).

You don't need to train for ages to be strong imo. For years I only did 2-3 sets of deads once a week (& 6 sets of other back work).
However, I find for me squats & bench seem to respond better to more frequency/volume.

You don't need to train for ages to be strong imo. For years I only did 2-3 sets of deads once a week (& 6 sets of other back work).
However, I find for me squats & bench seem to respond better to more frequency/volume.
While I don't disagree with you, it might help if we define strong. "Strong" can be anything from "mildly impressive to people who've never lifted before" to "world record holder."