• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much rest do you need?

And also I'm not a total beginner, I've probably trained for 7 months on and off over about 3 years, but never made any real gains because I wasn't consistent enough. This time it's been about 4 months straight now.

12-13 hours a day sleep :eek:
I wish I could get that much.

Try drinking 3-4 litres of milk a day, that'll bulk you up.
Only thing I've noticed is rising blood pressure if I take too much milk for a long period.

And also I'm not a total beginner, I've probably trained for 7 months on and off over about 3 years, but never made any real gains because I wasn't consistent enough. This time it's been about 4 months straight now.

Its not about being a total beginner (i've lifted on and off for a few years too but I'm still a beginner - and making a gain EVERY workout atm) its about how strong you are - you say you haven't made any real gains because you haven't been consistent - therefore you ARE a beginner and should train like one - I think the general benchmark for changing from beginner to intermediate is around the 1.5x bodyweight squat....I'm sure someone will correct that if I'm wrong. Until you get to that level MOST if not ALL people should do something like Ripptoe's SS or SL 5x5. Some need to get off the program earlier and move to a split, but not many.

Seriously give SS a try - or SL 5x5 if you want the extra arm work (includes dips, prones and chinups). Eat 4000 calories a day (its only another 300) stay on it for 6 months - and tell me your NOT satisfied and I'll admit its not a good idea for everyone to start out that way - I'm yet to hear someone say it doesn't work.

I'll try to get 2L of milk a day.

Just did squats for the first time. They are hard to get the form right. My right knee joint is a bit sore. I was getting sort of clunking sensation in my knees when my feet weren't pointed perfectly forward, I think that was what has made my knee sore. Any ideas? And should my back get any work out from that exercise? Because one of the guys said I want to make sure my lower back doesn't get sore from it, but I did feel it working my lower back a little bit. I think i'll keep the weight right down for a few weeks until I get my form right. (by the way I did have one of the personal trainers at the gym showing me how to do everything so I didn't just jump straight into it).

I'll try to get 2L of milk a day.

Just did squats for the first time. They are hard to get the form right. My right knee joint is a bit sore. I was getting sort of clunking sensation in my knees when my feet weren't pointed perfectly forward, I think that was what has made my knee sore. Any ideas? And should my back get any work out from that exercise? Because one of the guys said I want to make sure my lower back doesn't get sore from it, but I did feel it working my lower back a little bit. I think i'll keep the weight right down for a few weeks until I get my form right. (by the way I did have one of the personal trainers at the gym showing me how to do everything so I didn't just jump straight into it).

My knees are a bit stuffed from doing kickboxing when I weighed 100kg hahaha, but I'm not having tooo many troubles. It aches a little bit in the warmup and sometimes even in the first lift or two with the work weight, but after a few reps everything seems fine unless I have bad form - then I know about it straight away.

All the instruction I've had and the videos I've watched have said DO NOT have knees pointing forward, stand with legs slightly wider than shoulder width with your feet at 30 deg to the centre line of the body and let your knees point the same way as your feet when you squat. I have found I get some pain if I dont consciously FORCE my knees out to 30 deg during the lift, ie if I'm not thinking about it my knees collapse in a bit and then I feel tension in the knee. If I then concentrate and push the knees out to be inline with my feet all is good. Remember you MUST squat below parallel or your only really working your quads and putting lots of stress on the knee. Get your ass to the grass so to speak, and you'll be working the posterior chain a lot better and correcting the tendency most people have to have stronger quads than glutes hammies etc.

Shouldn't feel it in your back at all, if you are, you're doing it wrong and will lead to injury.

I have my feet at an ankle, and i don't have any problems. One technique I've found that helps is to pretend you're pushing your feet through the ground.

Looks good but my suggestion is...

1st day: Chest
2nd day: Shoulders, Triceps
3rd day: legs and some back (squats and deadlifts use as a partial rest for your upper body)
4th day: Back (upright rows, dumbbell rows etc)
5th day: Biceps
6th day: either start again or have one rest day then start again.

Thats what im gonna start doing anyways. I know with this you drill your shoulders, triceps and biceps but i really cant figure out how to not drill those because all the big compund exercises seem to use shoulders, triceps and biceps. If you figure out how let me know.

Looks good but my suggestion is...

1st day: Chest
2nd day: Shoulders, Triceps
3rd day: legs and some back (squats and deadlifts use as a partial rest for your upper body)
4th day: Back (upright rows, dumbbell rows etc)
5th day: Biceps
6th day: either start again or have one rest day then start again.

Thats what im gonna start doing anyways. I know with this you drill your shoulders, triceps and biceps but i really cant figure out how to not drill those because all the big compund exercises seem to use shoulders, triceps and biceps. If you figure out how let me know.
Surely you aint gonna have 1 single day just for biceps, esp after doing back the day before when you biceps already work hard. You need to rethink this dude. also upright rows work mainly delts and traps so i would use them in the shoulder workout and use deads on back day.

i take back what i said before but i still say 3-4 liters of milk is insane. Sure you would gain weight but how much would be muscle and how much fat???