• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Individual muscle groups vs half/full body splits.

Do you train a couple of muscle groups per session or employ a full/half body split?

• Total voters
Currently doing a 3 day split, 1 day off.
Back/Bi's, Legs/Shoulders, Chest/Tri's. Tiny bit of ab/core work each day.

Usually start with a 5x5 compound, then lighter accessory work. Pretty much like this

Deadlifts - 5 x 5
T Bar or BB rows - 3 x 8-12
Lat pulldown/Chins - 3 x 8-12
Face Pulls - 3 x 8-12
DB Rows - 3 x 8-12
DB Curls - 2 x 10-12
BB Curls - 2 x 21's

Front Squat - 5 x 5
Leg Press - 3 x 12-15
Leg Curl - 3 x 20
Leg Extension - 3 x 20
Calf Raise - 4 x 10 - 20
OHP - 5 x 5
RDF - 3 x 10-12, Superset with Front or Side Raise - 3 x 10-12
Upright Row - 3 x 10-12

Flat Bench - 5 x 5
Flat Bench or Chest Press - 3 x 8-12
Incline DB's - 3 x 8-12
Weighted Dips - 3 x 6-15
Cable Flyes - 3 x 8-12, Superset with Pullovers - 3 x 8-12
Cable Pushdowns - 2 x 8-12, Superset with DB Skullcrushers 2 x 10-12
BB Skullcrushers 2 x 20, Superset with Cable kickbacks 2 x 10-15

Took me a while to get the balance of higher volume and only 1 rest day per week but it's definitely paying off. Dropped a fair bit of weight in the accessory work, putting more focus on the stretch/squeeze and the heavier 5x5's keep the strength up. I also switch the leg/shoulders around, so once a week legs first then shoulders and the second workout of the week shoulders first. That's probably the toughest/longest workout of the week but in/out in 60-80 minutes usually.

Last edited:
Wow those are solid sessions there [MENTION=17161]White_Lie[/MENTION]; did you program that yourself? Not for the fainthearted on the heavy days lol

Yeah, just fine tuned it over time. I'll probably still tweak a few things here and there when progress starts to stall but it's serving me well for now.

Like I said, took a while to get the balance of volume and the body recovering.

Nearly everyday is a heavy day lol
I'm still putting weight on the bar every week with the 5x5 and the accessory work is still heavy enough to be tough but more of a focus on the stretch and contraction.