• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Iron Edge - Economy Bumper Plates

iron junkie

Hi All,

I am currently investigating the purchase of the Iron Edge Economy Bumper plates, they appear to be a solid product but my only concern is the size of the center metal insert. The plates I have seen loaded on the sleeves of iron edge and force usa bars are approximatly 2-3mm too big.

My first question here is if this is a major concern if you are using the plates for power lifting alone and is this design going to reduce the life of the bar/plates?

Thanks in advance!

The Iron Edge economy are 51mm. so there's 1mm play in total which is nothing major.

Over that it starts to become an issue (I'm looking at your ABC and your 52mm openings!)

I've got iron edge standard bumpers (unsure if opening is tighter then economy) tgey are tight on my abc bar, annoyingly so. Makes it hard to load the bar unless you go on perfectly squate. I have some cheapy no name brand bumpers with a couple mm more play and I really don't think it makes any difference for powerlifts, might be different if your dropping from overhead all the time.

I am really impressed with the standard bumpers for the price.

The black sleeves on the ABC bars are annoying.
I know Markos got them specifically made with stainless steel for the above reason

Thanks guys but I could definatly see the other weight plate on the other side through the gap. That predisposes me to the fact that the size of the ring is greater than the 51mm that is stipulated on their web site.

Thanks guys but I could definatly see the other weight plate on the other side through the gap. That predisposes me to the fact that the size of the ring is greater than the 51mm that is stipulated on their web site.

Who cares? Won't effect the performance

While performance is a concern I was more worried about ruining the bar I just bought.

Doing the slow lifts and as long as you drop cleans in a controlled manner you'll be fine.

Fastest thing to kill bars is dropping thrm on the pins of your rack when you fail. Dropped loaded bars is pretty forgiving. Just don't rack pull or dump your squats and i bet the bar will be fine.