• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is Powerlifting a Team Sport?

Is powerlifting a team sport?

• Total voters
A team collectively work towards an end (shared) goal, in most cases a grand final at the end of a season.

I believe if the the points where added by lifters representing a club collectively then that's different.

The question should be, is it a sport? LOL
That would be subjective.

GCB came second in the men's and women's team awards at this year's nats.

I don't count support staff as part of the "sport" team.
Team sports are like, footy (all kinds), hockey, basketball, volleyball, baseball, netball, curling, etc etc.

AusBB threads are good for your mind and health.

They stimulate me thinking, and also make me laugh. Ben, what more can you ask for?

For me it's not, but only because I start training at 9 - 10pm when everyone else is tucked up in bed, foreveralone.jpg

Lol at Bazza, sound like you're about to burst a blood vessel making your point, which I basically agree with btw. In the conventional sense PL is clearly a solo sport. However, it depends on the context of the competition, and on what basis results/awards are determined. Using Freako's example, where awards are handed out to the gym with best results, then obviously that gym is working on a team basis.

The Davis Cup is def a team sport, as countries with multiple players are trying to beat each other.

In its most raw form however, PL is without a doubt a singular endeavour and not a team sport.

Motor sport is a team sport, by that logic so is powerlifting.

It's not either. You have one competitor. May have a group or team helping in the background but it is not a team sport.

Powerlifting by any logic is not a team sport.

Fuzzy logic.

Motor sport
You have a team of people, including the *driver making sure the car is as fast as possible. wins the event/s.
*whether or not you think the driver and co-driver is the key is debatable (ferrari).

Powerlifting, oly lifting... one man, one bar. Size of the *support* given is dependant upon many things.

I think a few would like powerlifting to be a team sport. I have met a few in my time that would like to gain control over lifters in clubs as if they are the prime reason for the success of failure of a lifter. I suppose many individuals are also happy being told what they need to do and so on.

But, powerlifting is not a team sport. it is perhaps one of the most basic of all individual sports. I mean how hard is to squat, deadlift and bench, albeit a few individuals can provide useful technical pointers.

Motor sport is a team sport, by that logic so is powerlifting.

In motorsport, well at least F1, they are competing as a TEAM for the constructors championship, the drivers compete for individual glory of the world drivers championship...

Powerlifting is competing for individual glory, hence not a team sport.