• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

is powerlifting the new bodybuilding

4 divisions for girls. Bikini IMO is basically for girls that don't really want to get that lean.

Male fitness model is ridiculous. It looks like the class for "guys who skip leg day" to me.

re OP: Omar does make some good points. I think there are plenty of people that could (and do) potentially do both also. Strength and aesthetics can definitely go hand in hand.

re OP: Omar does make some good points. I think there are plenty of people that could (and do) potentially do both also. Strength and aesthetics can definitely go hand in hand.

There are numerous top level powerlifters in Australia who have been successful bodybuilders also, Scott Hill, Nathan Wallace, Cam Mackenzie, Matt Middleton, Josh Tait to just name a few. The two sports are mutually beneficial to a degree IMO.

I train with an INBA guy which is the main natty BB fed in Australia. Adam Todd
He sits on stage at 86kg and could cut to the 90kg class for powerlifting in a GPC meet

He squats 200kg, bench no idea and deadlifts 240kg. This is just doing some maxes in the gym for the lulz. He is doing a lower body strength phase at the moment and he has very big legs lol so should see some huge numbers from him soon

If you have a large muscular base how can you *not* be strong?

lol i see plenty of kunce with big lats, shoulders, chest, struggle to squat 2 plate or deadlift >160, it is entirely possible to be large, muscular and weak.

Powerlifting isn't the new bodybuilding.

For starters bodybuilding was never popular. Going to the gym with your bros and training beach muscles may have been.

Powerlifting is only becoming more popular because it's easier. You can be fat and not that good and still win your chosen weight class, age division, fed. Even then it's not popular at all anyway.

Being at the top end for powerlifting and bodybuilding is not easy as the body shape to be successful at bodybuilding isn't the best for powerlifting.

Signed a guy that puts up a total that would never place in any division he is capable of competing in

You can be fat and not that good at footy and still be part of a premiership team in alot of Sunday leagues around the country. I would say many, if not most people compete in powerlifting to help promote the sport and cos it's fun...not for any sort of bragging rights...

Online powerlifting seems to be taking over amongst noobs, mostly because Riptards keep telling them that they "need to build a strength base before doing hypertrophy" (lolwot?). People seem to be interested in looks and performance at about the same level that they have been since I was in high school, if not longer. It's just that strength training + milk has been marketed as the super simple and super badass way to do it.

General populations of youngsters still want to look good naked, largely in accordance with the images presented to them in magazines (which may or may not represent what the people they're trying to attract find appealing). General populations over 30 still want to be "not fat" and able to play with their kids without dying. At an elite level is there a shift from bb to pl? I don't know. I'm oblivious to such trends. But amongst the average gym-goer, priorities don't appear to have changed much in the last decade, from my perspective.

building strength before trying to build muscle is solid advice, and you've obviously never read Rippetoe's articles, most of which I might add, are aimed at young (high school age) beginners, the dietary advice is aimed at "hardgainers" in place of drinking sugar filled mass gainer shakes. What is online powerlifting anyway?

I'd say whether people like it or not, that Crossfit and the weightlifting associated with it are the real 'new bodybuilding', that and the physique classes as previously mentioned.

saw a poster in my gym this morning; "cycle your workouts, hypertrophy first (cycle), strength second, power third". Curious!

Heavens forbid you get stronger with reps to get stronger and more muscular
"Strength base before hypertrophy". Fucking lol. That will only lead to dogshit lifts and a dogshit physique

I don't see how that's the case 0ni, if it were then that methodology would have gone out the window long ago. Plenty of BBs started like that.

That said, I don't think that 3x5 or 5x5 are all that good for beginners (and why I didn't do SS or a 5x5 to start).

Last edited:
I really don't see how people can think you can get strong without muscles, or get muscles without strength...aren't we all just doing both at the same time?

building strength before trying to build muscle is solid advice, and you've obviously never read Rippetoe's articles, most of which I might add, are aimed at young (high school age) beginners, the dietary advice is aimed at "hardgainers" in place of drinking sugar filled mass gainer shakes. What is online powerlifting anyway?

I'd say whether people like it or not, that Crossfit and the weightlifting associated with it are the real 'new bodybuilding', that and the physique classes as previously mentioned.
I never said there's such a thing as online powerlifting. There's an online lifting community, eg us right here, and in general that community pushes powerlifting-esque stuff on beginners as a one-size-fits-all solution.

For about 2 years I read everything from Rippetoe. He has some good advice....mixed in with a large pile of horseshit that, if it worked, would be demonstrated by me being huge. It's a known fact that doing it his way took me from skinny and weak to fat and less weak. When I decided to cull the fat, it turned out I was still skinny, and right now I'm approaching the weight I was before I started SS, having only a little more muscle on me than I did back then.

Progressive overload is progressive overload is progressive overload. As a beginner, you can get stronger by vigorously picking your nose.

The most controllable variables of strength are skill and muscle. Trying to get strong first and then get muscle after is trying to get strong without including one of the key components of strength. But then saying that these beginner strength programs will make you more muscular proves the point null and void to begin with, since, if it works, they are building muscle, not building strength first and then muscle. Regardless, what's wrong with getting stronger at 6, 8, 10 or 12 reps? Your technique will get shaky? That's Rip's main safety argument. Pro tip: apply some fricken discipline and build up your ability to focus in the next rep. Let's say you start out with 3x5 on everything up front, next session you could do 3x6 with the same weights, and your technique would carry through to the 6th reps. You can't add weight as aggressively with higher reps? Well the aggressive progression on SS is largely manufactured by starting with weights that are barely challenging -- anyone can add weight aggressively if they're going from 3x5 with weights that barely challenge them up to an actual 5RM weeks later.

"Hardgainer" or not, Rip promotes GOMAD as adding 10lb to your weight in your first 2 weeks. I'm not sure that's even a good idea for someone with anorexia or who's just been released from a POW camp, let alone someone who's otherwise normal and just wants to put on some muscle and become more athletic. Especially given how strenuous the training isn't until a month or so into the program, and that most male beginners can't add more than 20lb of muscle onto their frame in a whole year, that's basically how to get fatter and bloat up a bit on water weight caused by not being used to exercise.

I don't see how that's the case 0ni, if it were then that methodology would have gone out the window long ago. Plenty of BBs started like that.

That said, I don't think that 3x5 or 5x5 are all that good for beginners (and why I didn't do SS or a 5x5 to start).

Like whom?

@RyanF: did you ever read the Starting Strength book, and this article? http://startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf ? That said, I don't agree with eating 3500 calories a day to lose weight, because for me at least, it won't. In the book he specifically states that GOMAD is only for super skinny guys who can't put on weight as a last ditch effort, and to not do it for longer than 6 weeks or so.

@0ni : Ronnie Coleman, Arnold spring to mind

I never said there's such a thing as online powerlifting. There's an online lifting community, eg us right here, and in general that community pushes powerlifting-esque stuff on beginners as a one-size-fits-all solution.

For about 2 years I read everything from Rippetoe. He has some good advice....mixed in with a large pile of horseshit that, if it worked, would be demonstrated by me being huge. It's a known fact that doing it his way took me from skinny and weak to fat and less weak. When I decided to cull the fat, it turned out I was still skinny, and right now I'm approaching the weight I was before I started SS, having only a little more muscle on me than I did back then.

Progressive overload is progressive overload is progressive overload. As a beginner, you can get stronger by vigorously picking your nose.

The most controllable variables of strength are skill and muscle. Trying to get strong first and then get muscle after is trying to get strong without including one of the key components of strength. But then saying that these beginner strength programs will make you more muscular proves the point null and void to begin with, since, if it works, they are building muscle, not building strength first and then muscle. Regardless, what's wrong with getting stronger at 6, 8, 10 or 12 reps? Your technique will get shaky? That's Rip's main safety argument. Pro tip: apply some fricken discipline and build up your ability to focus in the next rep. Let's say you start out with 3x5 on everything up front, next session you could do 3x6 with the same weights, and your technique would carry through to the 6th reps. You can't add weight as aggressively with higher reps? Well the aggressive progression on SS is largely manufactured by starting with weights that are barely challenging -- anyone can add weight aggressively if they're going from 3x5 with weights that barely challenge them up to an actual 5RM weeks later.

"Hardgainer" or not, Rip promotes GOMAD as adding 10lb to your weight in your first 2 weeks. I'm not sure that's even a good idea for someone with anorexia or who's just been released from a POW camp, let alone someone who's otherwise normal and just wants to put on some muscle and become more athletic. Especially given how strenuous the training isn't until a month or so into the program, and that most male beginners can't add more than 20lb of muscle onto their frame in a whole year, that's basically how to get fatter and bloat up a bit on water weight caused by not being used to exercise.

Ryanf

I'm going to be honest here and say that I've never read a Rippetoe book, I have one on my kindle, but yet to read, only what I've seen in short articles on the net and videos.

i don't even know his background but whatever I've seen or read makes sense to me, my opinion is, there not a lot to write about in weight lifting (how to add muscle) you could do this in probably 1000 words, but I'm interested in what you wrote about your success with it, and then say some was "horse-shit".

Could you just give me the horse shit points in few words?

we've kind of deviated from the topic here, but you could also say that Rip is perhaps one of the best known proponents of 'powerlifting' (big 3) training out there regardless.

I really don't see how people can think you can get strong without muscles, or get muscles without strength...aren't we all just doing both at the same time?

Yeah.

A muscle responds to exercise, the amount and volume one uses will vary from one to the next, at what point in an exercise does a muscle receive maximum stimulation for growth, no one is absolutely sure, hence the Gironda/Jones ideas.

(Which, in my opinion these two blokes are responsible for changing the face of bodybiuld in and inspiriting thousands of people writing books on the topic)

But out one theory is, and it's the one I like; a muscle becomes bigger (fluids and tissue, cells) as a result of proper exercise (usually in the higher rep world), then the larger muscle permits strength to happen.

For the most part, to compete in the world of the bodybuilder, is mostly about smoke and mirrors.

To be successful; you need the body shape, the right shape muscle belly, the ability to respond to exercise, the looks.

The type of method of workout one chooses, will not change these points.

just my thoughts