• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Knee problem work through or rest?

H

Hubbo

Hello to everybody,

I have recently started the 5x5 Stronglifts program (about 4 weeks into, but some minor changes) and with my recently bought squat rack I've been powering through.... until now...

Among other exercises I have been doing squats Mon - Wed - Fri, and gone from about 40kg squats to now 62.5kg (not bad for 4 weeks!).

Without getting a camera out I think the squat I'm doing is ATG (essentially almost sitting down). I am still undecided whether this is a good idea as opposed to just going parallel. Looking on the web some people say don't others say no problems - so a little confused. Anyway, it feels comfortable to almost sit so thats what I have been doing.

Today I am starting to feel some pain in my left knee so I am questioning my technique and the whole ATG versus parallel thing. Also, just wondering what other peoples thoughts are and experiences of running into knee problems. I also had the suggestion of people strapping their knees when doing heavy squats - thoughts (i know 62.5kg isn't that heavy)?

So... along with some feedback... Should I just strap the knee and power through it? and not be a 'girly man' as Arnold would say... or should I seriously give the squats a miss for a little while? too late for straping????

The pain seems to be in the knee itself not the muscle (not an ache but when I move the knee in different positions). Not too bad really... but feels a bit weird when my leg is completely straight, kinda feels like it needs to click or crack if that makes sense.

Cheers. Thanks in advance!

Hello to everybody,

I have recently started the 5x5 Stronglifts program (about 4 weeks into, but some minor changes) and with my recently bought squat rack I've been powering through.... until now...

Among other exercises I have been doing squats Mon - Wed - Fri, and gone from about 40kg squats to now 62.5kg (not bad for 4 weeks!).

Without getting a camera out I think the squat I'm doing is ATG (essentially almost sitting down). I am still undecided whether this is a good idea as opposed to just going parallel. Looking on the web some people say don't others say no problems - so a little confused. Anyway, it feels comfortable to almost sit so thats what I have been doing.

Today I am starting to feel some pain in my left knee so I am questioning my technique and the whole ATG versus parallel thing. Also, just wondering what other peoples thoughts are and experiences of running into knee problems. I also had the suggestion of people strapping their knees when doing heavy squats - thoughts (i know 62.5kg isn't that heavy)?

So... along with some feedback... Should I just strap the knee and power through it? and not be a 'girly man' as Arnold would say... or should I seriously give the squats a miss for a little while? too late for straping????

The pain seems to be in the knee itself not the muscle (not an ache but when I move the knee in different positions). Not too bad really... but feels a bit weird when my leg is completely straight, kinda feels like it needs to click or crack if that makes sense.

Cheers. Thanks in advance!

Hey,

Same thing happened to me. Doing Starting Strength doing squats 3 or more times a week 3 x 5. Left knee went bad on me. I suggest you don't squat for a week or more. Its what saved me. Now I just get tendon soreness just above me patella on my left knee. I was really worried for a while thinking I had destroyed my knee but it just needed rest to heal.

Ok... Maybe its not too bad by the sound of things... Maybe a week off sounds like the trick... hard to tell whether is bone/knee or tendons...

Thanks for the quick reply LJ! Btw, do you do ATG or parallel squats?

Ok... Maybe its not too bad by the sound of things... Maybe a week off sounds like the trick... hard to tell whether is bone/knee or tendons...

Thanks for the quick reply LJ! Btw, do you do ATG or parallel squats?

I go to parallel. Do you really need to go lower than parallel? Are you bending your knees inwards when you go down? I read this puts a lot of bad pressure on the knee.

I go to parallel. Do you really need to go lower than parallel? Are you bending your knees inwards when you go down? I read this puts a lot of bad pressure on the knee.
I just found it easy to go right down. My knees and toes point outwards a bit, maybe 30 degrees.

EDIT: It's amazing what a day can make... Still concerning non the less. I was thinking of buying a knee strap, any recommendations for using with squats, or all much of a much-ness???

Last edited:
Squat ATG, complete the full range of motion. Otherwise you are simply detracting from the effectiveness of one of the best exercises in the gym.

Having said that make sure you are squatting properly and safely. Controlled down, fast and explosive on the way up. No bouncing at the bottom.

Unless you are doing something wrong its unusual that your are having issues with only 60kg. If you dont have any previous issues with your knees I would get it checked out if it continues to hinder your ability to squat.

Calves touching the back of your legs?
If there is pain - stop what's causing it, it's trying to tell you something.

Take some time off and walk it out.

I don't know how you could go lower than parallel? I can't flex any further than my quads parallel to the ground.

The smart thing to do is to find out what is actually wrong with your knee. Then decide whether or not you should sqaut atg or parralell.

I have/had a slight knee issue as well, squatting to parallel was becoming uncomfortable, so I had 2 solid months OFF all leg exercises and just got back into it with lower weight (obviously) so I thought I'd do ATG and bring the weight up slowly while sticking to ATG and no pain yet.

I didn't get the pain while doing squats, it seemed to spring up later, but that was the only thing I could link it with.

LJ, I found it makes a difference where I point my toes - if I bring them in more parallel as opposed to pointing more outwards it is harder for my quads to go below parallel, but also my knees seem more solid so I might try that.

I don't know where I could get my knee checked out locally... so hard to find out exactly what is wrong, but seems to be recovering quickly. I'll see how things go tomorrow squating again.

I'm relatively new to training so was in your position not that long ago and can only offer my experience.

You should go ATG with correct form. If your new to squatting(60kg says you are) you may not have the flexibility required for correct form so make sure your doing everything right.

I started squatting earlier this year and had trouble keeping correct form due to flexibility issues. I would lean too far forward, my back would fold and my heals would lift. I started doing stretches for my groin and calves and kept squatting paying attention to form and now I dont have any trouble.

As for the knee problem, being new its easy to over stress things sometimes. Rest it for a few days and see how it is then. I'd personally never work through something thats painful as often the recovery will be much longer if you do.

I don't think my flexibility is a problem... though I am not as flexible as I once was (used to do Material Arts) I think I'm still more flexible than 90% of the population.

I have seen the Doc and he seems to think it's just inflamed behind the kneecap, so nothing serious and just take it easy.

I've uploaded a short video to youtube to check my form - the last few squats I go a bit lower to where I have been squating previously, but I think I won't go as far now (as shown in the first few squats). I'm only using 40kg here (not incl. bar).
YouTube - Squat

Also, I'm doing the 5x5 Stronglifts program, so maybe I should be doing more reps and building weight more slowly?

I couldnt see too many probs with that. Best wait for a more experienced critique though.

One word...

Physiotherapist

Ponder on that word...

Pondering.... Pondering... Pondering.... :)

I know the Doc isn't a Physio (obviously) but he isn't too bad, he knows his stuff... I'm going to take it easy for a bit, and if it's still there I might see a physio...

Cheers!

Good to hear that mate.

I had a similar issue and was just avoiding
it and would rest it.

However, 3 months ago my knee was so
sore by just walking. So I went to see
the Physio and he fixed me up after8 sessions
or so.

Now the pain is not nearly bad.

Apparantly it's 'tendonitis'...
:(