• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lat pulldown on cable crossover

I tried lat pulldown on my cable crossover yesterday.

Grab one high handle in each hand, sit on bench in middle, pull in and down. How does this compare to doing a standard lat pulldown with a bar or with closer spaced overhead pulleys?

Trying to figure out if buying a lat pulldown is worthwhile...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I found that my forearms died alot quicker than they normally would. However, I could feel the muscle alot better.

I felt it somewhat more in my brachialis I think. I'm unsure if the very wide grip would limit the usefulness?

I felt it somewhat more in my brachialis I think. I'm unsure if the very wide grip would limit the usefulness?

The wide grip would limit the range of motion while also limiting the amount of weight you could use.
It sounds very uncomfortable

I saw some old veterans on maxs muscle tv doing it at the end of their workout and gave it a try. I think I would only do it if I was in a rush and all 4 lat pulldowns were in use..

I gave these a go once when the pull downs were all taken, didn't really feel the lats working as much as the conventional pull downs and my arms gave out.

I have lots of bands, but at the top of the movement when I struggle most they don't help much (not very stretched). I do inverted rows and try to do negatives at present but not much is improving.

I have lots of bands, but at the top of the movement when I struggle most they don't help much (not very stretched). I do inverted rows and try to do negatives at present but not much is improving.

Get stronger; overhead press, cleans & rows. Eventually do full rep pull ups.

You don't need a machine to do it.

Selkow has a pull up progression that works
10 sets of 1
10 sets of 2
8 sets of 3
7 sets of 4
6 sets of 5
5 sets of 6...
And so forth. Keep the total reps in the 24-30 ballpark. Do 3x per week.

Note this is for people who can only do 1 or 2 reps. The first few cycles should go really fast. The 4's and 5's sometimes take a while to progress beyond.

OR go out do as many as you can. Then do sets with half that number for 24-30 reps.

Last edited:
Can report that using two close together handles designed for this purpose definately works better than using a cable crossover