• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Linear bearing vs roller leg press

I'm looking at leg press options, I like the look of the powertec (4 bars to load weight, compact) but it's not linear bearing. The only 'cheap' linear bearing model appears to be the cyber fit... Has anybody tried these machines out (they are both in Sydney only or I'd just pop in a try them out with a heavy load)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Whereabouts in Sydney? There are plenty of AUSBB'ers here... Someone may be able to try them and give you feedback afterwards??

Whereabouts in Sydney? There are plenty of AUSBB'ers here... Someone may be able to try them and give you feedback afterwards??

Cyberfit is at Seven Hills.

Im due to head there within weeks to pick up new stuff.

I'm looking at leg press options, I like the look of the powertec (4 bars to load weight, compact) but it's not linear bearing. The only 'cheap' linear bearing model appears to be the cyber fit... Has anybody tried these machines out (they are both in Sydney only or I'd just pop in a try them out with a heavy load)

Is there much difference in the Linear bearing types to the roller types?
I suppose it all comes down to the overall construction of the unit.
If you have cheap ass bearings it will probably not be free flowing. Then you can have good quality rollers that run smoother then linear?

Im not to sure, I have only used the old ones at my gym that just have a plastic roller running up the inside of PFC Steel.

Cheers

If Kaz or anybody does happen to head that way I'd love to hear how smooth either of these are, range of motion, and any signs of binding.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Did you find them binding much when it got heavy?

They were not to bad actually for the weight I used which is not heavy heavy.
But I have seen a guy who comes in every sat morn and he loads this machine to capacity.
He seems to be ok with it. Legs like tree trunks as well.

I will have to look into these linear bearings as I am going to make some equipment for my home gym and I want a smooth ride!

Cheers

It's looking like the cyber fit might be a struggle to load enough weight with standard rubber coated plates.... So I might be stuck with rollers on my budget anyway

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

FWIW and i couldn't give a rats if you take heed or not, rather than thinking about "linear or roller" think about the bio-mechanics of the equipment you're looking at.

the difference between linear versus roller comes down to friction, some value minimal friction in exercise, especially the "super slow" peolpe.

The path and range of movement of a properly designed machine is based on muscle and joint function, a well designed machine can be adjusted to allow for correct positioning and alignment providing a safe path and range of motion for most body types.

A machine that is properly designed, and if you are correctly positioned and/or aligned and performing the exercise correctly you aren’t going to be injured by it.

if not, you don't use it.

There are heaps of machines with axes of rotation in positions making proper alignment difficult or impossible for some

Use a machine that is properly designed and used correctly it will not cause a repetitive motion injury either as long as you are performing a reasonable volume and frequency of exercise.

In the last 30 years there has been a flood of equipment on the market, prior to that there was only "universal" nek minut Nautlius.

Nautilus spent 10 years of development and millions of dollars research before they released their line, all the rest are copied their designs one way or another.