• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[LOL] Powerlifting workouts should only be 60-90mins long says a retard...

So a big difference in relation to commitment I guess.

No doubt it can be bloody hard to devote a lot of time to it. It's the same out at the mines, up at 4am, on the road by 5, start at 6, finish at 6, home by 6.30, fed by 7, maybe an hour weight lifting? Plus shower and get ready for the next day.

This guy saying it should be 60 to 90 minutes is a knob. He's spewing shit out his mouth as fast as he can simply to big note himself

Work 12.5hrs and workouts usually last 60-80mins when I'm working up north (FIFO)
But when I'm at work I don't have family commitments to contend with. When I'm home it's a different story

Really that long??? Does not leave much time for other stuff after work sleep etc.

My sessions can last anywhere from 2-4hrs and I train up to around 20hrs a week. If you ask around a few competitive powerlifters I'm sure you'll find 15-20hrs of training per week is not uncommon, and a lot of these peeps have families and full time jobs. Dedication is what gets you to the top of your sport though.

My sessions can last anywhere from 2-4hrs and I train up to around 20hrs a week. If you ask around a few competitive powerlifters I'm sure you'll find 15-20hrs of training per week is not uncommon, and a lot of these peeps have families and full time jobs. Dedication is what gets you to the top of your sport though.

First off, the guy in the vid is a knob.

Second, he's not a powerlifter. Or, by the looks of him, a bodybuilder. He's a PT. And you know what most of them are like. Cough.

What he said is, in essence, true, except he did the usual "weak, skinny, lots of certificates" PT shit of spouting off about stuff he knows nothing about. He was probably quoting from one of his textbooks. Or an ab machine ad.

Yes, a powerlifting program will take longer than a bodybuilding program. They are different. A bodybuilder trains to get bigger, a powerlifter trains to get stronger. Certainly not "more explosvie". The explosive bit comes later, in the leeeeerve shack. Bodybuilders (and please excuse this very rough and abbreviated statement, don't get yer lifting straps in a wad) train the muscle, powerlifters train the nervous system.

The result, if you look at the extremes, is a guy who is 170-180cm tall who weighs 120kg and looks "faaaabulussss" at 3% bodyfat, while a powerlifter of the same height may weigh 66kg and pull a 4x bodyweight deadlift.

A bodybuilder "can" train for 45 min and a powerlifter "can" train for 90 min. However, if you are serious, I doubt that either would train for that short a period of time. You think Heath/Cutler/Coleman/Yates et al train for 45 min? Pfffft.

Like Freako said, a normal powerlifting program for someone who is a serious competitor will take at least 2-3 hours. It takes me just half an hour to warm up. Depending on the lift, I can spend an hour just getting the main work sets done. Then there are accessories after and post workout prehab.

I must concede I am not a power lifter, don't do this professionally, and I do have a life outside the gym and training.
If you are a competitive lifter I guess you will probably have a greater commitment, than some guy who just trains for fun and general well being.

Absolutely. If you are not a committed bodybuilder or powerlifter, and want to look like that PT, then what he said is true. But then you would not really be either. You would be a guy who just goes to the gym.

Serious question, why would powerlifting training take longer than 90 minutes? Are you getting at volume, rest required, or something else here? I thought that the prevailing wisdom was about using your time effectively rather than using more of it.

Also why do you powerlifters get your jimmies so rustled - I've seen worse like the whole "low bar squats are bad and wrong" crap, people saying you should never do mix grip deadlift, sumo DL fucks your hips, squatting full stop is bad for non powerlifters, don't deadlift if you're not a PL as it's too dangerous and will wreck your back etc etc.

Serious question, why would powerlifting training take longer than 90 minutes? Are you getting at volume, rest required, or something else here? I thought that the prevailing wisdom was about using your time effectively rather than using more of it.

Also why do you powerlifters get your jimmies so rustled - I've seen worse like the whole "low bar squats are bad and wrong" crap, people saying you should never do mix grip deadlift, sumo DL fucks your hips, squatting full stop is bad for non powerlifters, don't deadlift if you're not a PL as it's too dangerous and will wreck your back etc etc.

Serious question...

If you have a serious question, why not answer it without being a knob?

To answer your question though.

For my team and myself, a general squat session will consist of anywhere from 10-25 sets of squat between 1-6 reps with weight anywhere from 220kg-350kg.

Rest periods will generally be 5min.

Sand deal with bench, though generally slightly shorter rest periods.

If some of these members didn't derail almost every single thread, so useful info might be posted again and you will all learn something.

The problem is not looking at the finger the problem is missing the point all together, he does not say it SHOULD or NEEDS to go for that long he just suggests that it might and depending on the program it will be going for longer than a body building workout due to the rest periods.

Dude how did you miss the point completely twice in a row?

When I first pulled 250kg in December I was making a whole tonne of progress. More progress than I have ever made and I was natural at the time despite what people here like to think.
I was very poor and had a shitty job and was in a new place of residence. I would have to travel 90 minutes to work and 90 minutes back every day and worked a 35h week (effectively 40h)

I would get up at 5am, get my meals for the day out of the fridge and get ready etc to leave the house for 6am. I'd arrive at the gym next to work at 7:30 and deadlift until 8:30am along with some lats and abs. Then I'd shower and get changed for work and arrive at work for 9am. I'd leave work at 5pm to arrive at the gym at 5:15 and then do my usual daily workout of 6-10 sets of 2-4 reps on whatever exercise, more often squats and deadlifts than not and perhaps again for another exercise and then the assistance I needed to do then would leave the gym at 18:30 and drive home to get back at 20:00. I'd then cook my dinner along with my food for the next day and box it all up to be in bed by 21:00 so I could get the 8 hours of sleep I needed MINIMUM to succeed in the sport I love. At the weekends I couldn't afford TV or internet or any fun stuff so my entire weekend was spent lifting in the local Anytime Fitness for as many as 6 hours a day with my best mate and then heading down to the beach to go for a swim and BBQ

I then moved job so I only needed to drive 20 minutes with a decent payrise and my overall workout volume dropped and only now 5 months later is my deadlift starting to increase again because I am training the 2 hours a day needed for me to make progress whereas before I was simply slacking off. I don't think 90 minutes a day would be enough for me to progress and my rest periods seldom go over 120 seconds

It's quite interesting, what are some good workout templates aside from Sheiko that are suitable for the intermediate/advanced? The only one I see that keeps popping up is 5/3/1 but it's too low volume apparently and anything good made of it becomes something that isn't 5/3/1. Or running/paying for a PTC program (which is probably a good idea).

Good dedication Oni. I will say after running just the bench part of 'digit' which often took me 2 hours I began to understand hard work. I added some of my own stuff though. I PB'd by about 5kg on paused bench and to my surprise strict pressed 90kg at the end.
It gives you some perspective on what the elite who are 'enhanced' do too, and the work that goes in to getting a 200kg+ bench on drugs or whatever. Takes more than just injections...

Last edited:

Most of my novices will be about 6hrs a week.
Intermediate up to 10hrs.
Advanced 15-20hrs.

Is increasing volume as trainee level increases always the rule? How often have you guys seen it be necessary/unnecessary?

I know of a guy doing 5/3/1 who benches 170 and has a squat of around 250, dead close to 300, bodyweight between 90 and 100. His numbers have gone up steadily just by following the bog standard 5/3/1 template. 5/3/1 is like 5 hours a week or something? Seems weird. His gym buddies are surprised he can progress on so little at his level.

5/3/1 is like 5 hours a week or something? Seems weird. His gym buddies are surprised he can progress on so little at his level.

There is a common misconception that volume is king. Its not. It can work if thats what you need. As the 5/3/1 book says, you can get strong just doing the set reps and nothing else. You will get stronger by doing the full program, but progress will happen.

For a beginner, my personal opinion is that you need to keep training super simple and progressive. I see too many young guys come to the gym for a few months then jump into Sheiko. I think thats retarded. Sheiko is a great program for intermediate to advanced lifters. Same with Westside. Someone who has been at the gym for 6 months can train Westside but personally I think its hitting the nail on the head with a boulder. A little hammer will do the same job without fear of bending the nail.

I've been on 5/3/1 for 4 years. Still progressing. I hold a number of records, all on 5/3/1. It still works for me. When it stops working I will switch.

Bottom line. Differences in good programs are minimal. They all work if you put in the effort.

Some blokes (and using the squat as an example) can lift 200kg in a very short space of time, regardless of what template they use.

to some it just comes easy, while most need to really work at it, and keep working real hard, jumping from one program to another, it sucks to be them.

There is a similar issue in bodybuilding. Instead of getting into the gym and putting in the hard yards, pushing your body to the limit every time, they fuq around with pre-peri-post workout nutrition, buy heaps of supps, fret about which protein powder to use and convince themselves that they must do a roid cycle.

Eat right, train hard, get 8 hours sleep. Simple.

There is a common misconception that volume is king. Its not. It can work if thats what you need. As the 5/3/1 book says, you can get strong just doing the set reps and nothing else. You will get stronger by doing the full program, but progress will happen.

For a beginner, my personal opinion is that you need to keep training super simple and progressive. I see too many young guys come to the gym for a few months then jump into Sheiko. I think thats retarded. Sheiko is a great program for intermediate to advanced lifters. Same with Westside. Someone who has been at the gym for 6 months can train Westside but personally I think its hitting the nail on the head with a boulder. A little hammer will do the same job without fear of bending the nail.

I've been on 5/3/1 for 4 years. Still progressing. I hold a number of records, all on 5/3/1. It still works for me. When it stops working I will switch.

Bottom line. Differences in good programs are minimal. They all work if you put in the effort.
What records do you hold?

Although there are exceptions to the rule, past the beginner stage it seems to work for most people.

I've met a few people who are huge/strong and work out for 2 hours a day. I've only met one guy (who I mentioned before) who's strong and doesnt seem to need a lot of volume to make really good progress.

I've also read sticky/tom from PTC say 5/3/1 isnt very good, or isnt optimal for most people - both experienced coaches who lift a lot themselves. I believe the unnecessary deloads (for intermediates) and lack of volume was what they disliked.
edit: That's not to say it's crap for everyone, but it is interesting to look at what's best to ensure good progress for most people.

Last edited:
What records do you hold?

M2, 120kg class. Currently have all 3 lifts and total. (Sorry Lorrie. You gotta stop slowing down on your decent. You will get it back in August if you do that.) Did have M1 dead until Steve Fucking Pritchard dropped weight, looked pretty and hit 320kg. (Sorry steve, I love youse man).

Even had the open dead record for a few short weeks. Sigh.

Oh, and M2 world record dead. All IPF/PA. You know, real records. (Everybody stand back!!! Its gonna blow!!!)

[MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION]; you Kelvin? That's some good lifting.

There is a similar issue in bodybuilding. Instead of getting into the gym and putting in the hard yards, pushing your body to the limit every time, they fuq around with pre-peri-post workout nutrition, buy heaps of supps, fret about which protein powder to use and convince themselves that they must do a roid cycle.

Eat right, train hard, get 8 hours sleep. Simple.

I think you hit the root of the issue here.

the workout is key