• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[LOL] Powerlifting workouts should only be 60-90mins long says a retard...

I found that I had a reasonably good squat to start with, so far on 5/3/1, I've found that my upper body has improved dramatically (especially my overhead press). 5/3/1 has such a variety of assistance too, generally if you're doing it with a powerlifting focus, you do it as 3/5/1 or use Karl's Method. I've just finished my first cycle on BBB, and I like it simply for doing more of the 4 lifts. I also BB curl and do dips in addition.

I like the routine as an intermediate (according to STRSD scale), I'll probably stick with it for a few years. I too have noticed other intermediate lifters heading straight onto Sheiko or Cube etc.

Yeah I've seen the guys who own PTC gyms bash generic routines like 5/3/1, again it's not something you'd probably run if you were laser focused on powerlifting.

It's quite interesting, what are some good workout templates aside from Sheiko that are suitable for the intermediate/advanced? The only one I see that keeps popping up is 5/3/1 but it's too low volume apparently and anything good made of it becomes something that isn't 5/3/1. Or running/paying for a PTC program (which is probably a good idea).

The generic 5/3/1 program is not optimal for powerlifting but despite that I used it for at least the first year or so of my own competitive career and then developed my own variation. And the great thing about 5/3/1 are there are many different variations available, even ones dedicated to powerlifting. I have my own variation that I can share later if you want.

Last edited:
Is increasing volume as trainee level increases always the rule? How often have you guys seen it be necessary/unnecessary?

I know of a guy doing 5/3/1 who benches 170 and has a squat of around 250, dead close to 300, bodyweight between 90 and 100. His numbers have gone up steadily just by following the bog standard 5/3/1 template. 5/3/1 is like 5 hours a week or something? Seems weird. His gym buddies are surprised he can progress on so little at his level.

Its a general rule yes, but there are always exceptions like you mentioned.

I found that I had a reasonably good squat to start with, so far on 5/3/1, I've found that my upper body has improved dramatically (especially my overhead press). 5/3/1 has such a variety of assistance too, generally if you're doing it with a powerlifting focus, you do it as 3/5/1 or use Karl's Method. I've just finished my first cycle on BBB, and I like it simply for doing more of the 4 lifts. I also BB curl and do dips in addition.

I like the routine as an intermediate (according to STRSD scale), I'll probably stick with it for a few years. I too have noticed other intermediate lifters heading straight onto Sheiko or Cube etc.

Yeah I've seen the guys who own PTC gyms bash generic routines like 5/3/1, again it's not something you'd probably run if you were laser focused on powerlifting.

I ran it for 3 years including the first 2 years of my competitive career (in various forms). Its a very adaptable program but not everybody gets it, but hell, I know a certain PTC gym bashes the shit out of Sheiko so you can't please everybody with even the best of routines.

Everyone knows my hatred of 5/3/1, and westside for novice and intermediate lifters especially.

@jj80 I do not know a person that has progressed like that on 5/3/1, so congrats to him. But he'd be an exception. He probably would have gotten just as strong on any structured program.

I find, especially for squats and bench, volume is king.

Deads just love intensity.

The more advanced you get, the more hours your going to spend in the gym.

Fwiw, I've ran basically the same deadlift program from when I pulled 220kg, to 318kg.
Low volume, very high intensity.

Bench responds very well to sheikoesq programming - low intensity and a shit ton of volume.

My squat programming is somewhere between the 2.

Hell I just think Westside sucks in general for raw lifters...

I've read that somewhere else too...

I'd have thought PTC lifters would be doing their own PPP or whatever they call their competitors routine these days. 5/3/1 progression is slow, I'm glad I didn't start it as a beginner.

PTC Brisbane dose not run PPP.
It's a program that's Markos designed, and we have very different ideals on programming.

At Brisbane we run my programming and sheiko.

I've read that somewhere else too...

I'd have thought PTC lifters would be doing their own PPP or whatever they call their competitors routine these days. 5/3/1 progression is slow, I'm glad I didn't start it as a beginner.

PPP is mainly done by PTC Frankston as it was created by Markos, they seem very obsessed with linear there. Scott has his own diggit programs for his lifters and other than that a lot of them run sheiko I think. Tom (Thomas, Hommus) has a boner for linear as well which I personally don't understand. Another PTC runs a lot of Westside. Each is different depending on the preference of the head coach. The majority of my lifters at GCB ran my 5/3/1 variations for beginner to intermediate lifters and then moved onto sheiko.

PTC Brisbane dose not run PPP.
It's a program that's Markos designed, and we have very different ideals on programming.

At Brisbane we run my programming and sheiko.

Fair enough - I assumed that the PTC branding meant that the same training philosophy was being used in each gym.

Philosophy - yes.
Train balls out, help your lifters, respect your sport.

Methodology - definitely not.