• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[LOL] Powerlifting workouts should only be 60-90mins long says a retard...

I'd train 40hrs a week if I was paid to do so.

Yeah as many of us would that like playing sport.

What I meant was with a full time job, missus and having a life I'm not training 20 hours for something that is a hobby. Show me the money.

Last edited:
No its not. Its only feasible if your unemployed or single.

I know people who are neither and get the job done. That's the difference between a failure and a champion, you just get chit done. Instead of spending 6 hours per night playing games and watching reality TV, some chose to spend that time getting shit strong and jacked. Its your choice.

Another factor that many may not be aware of, but a training session of 3+ hours helps you to acclimatise to the competition environment. Hands up anyone who has done a 3 lift comp in 90 minutes. I didn't thinks so.

IPF/PA has a very short break between weigh in and first lift so generally once you weigh in you are warming up, especially if you are in a flight with 15 people. None of that "weigh in on Friday morning" horse shit you get in the US. From the time you start your warm up until you crawl on hands and knees off the platform after your last deadlift, it may be 4 hours. Plus you are doing 9 lifts just under and, hopefully, over your 1RM. In short, you are completely nailed.

So if you have been training for 3 months for 60-90 min you are going to be at a serious disadvantage. Not only do you need a 2-5 hour training session to get stronger (more so if you have a few years under the bar) you need the time under pressure to prepare you for the "real world".

Do you "have" to train for 3-5 hours? Not if you want to be average. But if you want to be a champion you gotta pull your hand out of your pants and put in some serious long term metal smashing.

Reactions: 0ni
Yeah as many of us would that like playing sport.

What I meant was with a full time job, missus and having a life I'm knot training 20 hours for something that is a hobby. Show me the money.

Yeah, agree...

Bazza
I've got some questions for you.

how many hours a week does your club spend training a week?
do you think spending any extra time training would make you a better footballer?
how many hours a week do you spend in gym off season?

Yeah, agree...

Bazza
I've got some questions for you.

how many hours a week does your club spend training a week?
do you think spending any extra time training would make you a better footballer?
how many hours a week do you spend in gym off season?

1.5 hours twice a week training. Sometimes an extra recovery session.

Yeah I do think extra training would help.

In the off season I probably average 1-1.5 hours 5 times a week doing weights sessions. Depending on work.

I agree with your sentiment Siverback.

Football has probably more reason for longer sessions, given skill, strength and endurance components.

I hear of track athletes training 10-12 times a week, and I just cringe.

When I had my best year, for 200m and 400m, trained 2-3 times a week, and each session finished in less than hour, including warmup. But they were intense and effective sessions.

from my days at Melbourne uni, I think PA lifters trained no more than 2 hours. 3-4 days a week.

Mainly basic powerlifts though, so plenty of rest between sets.

Last edited:
I know people who are neither and get the job done. That's the difference between a failure and a champion, you just get chit done. Instead of spending 6 hours per night playing games and watching reality TV, some chose to spend that time getting shit strong and jacked. Its your choice.

Another factor that many may not be aware of, but a training session of 3+ hours helps you to acclimatise to the competition environment. Hands up anyone who has done a 3 lift comp in 90 minutes. I didn't thinks so.

IPF/PA has a very short break between weigh in and first lift so generally once you weigh in you are warming up, especially if you are in a flight with 15 people. None of that "weigh in on Friday morning" horse shit you get in the US. From the time you start your warm up until you crawl on hands and knees off the platform after your last deadlift, it may be 4 hours. Plus you are doing 9 lifts just under and, hopefully, over your 1RM. In short, you are completely nailed.

So if you have been training for 3 months for 60-90 min you are going to be at a serious disadvantage. Not only do you need a 2-5 hour training session to get stronger (more so if you have a few years under the bar) you need the time under pressure to prepare you for the "real world".

Do you "have" to train for 3-5 hours? Not if you want to be average. But if you want to be a champion you gotta pull your hand out of your pants and put in some serious long term metal smashing.

Champion of what? Some competition that 10 people in the world care about. Champion of an internet forum? Its like the loser I read about who spent 30k on roids to win a $10 bodybuilding trophy. LOSER. Go get a woman and a university degree or something worthwhile.

20+ hours per week. You could easily devote 70% of that time to some other physical hobby and earn a greater sense of life satisfaction than being the Champion of the losers who hang out in a gym 20h per week or troll this forum with 10k posts about how macho they are. Get a part time job and save the money up for an awesome car. Spend 20h a week chasing skirt. Perfecting a sport. Taking a course. Earn a black belt. Work with charity. Pretty much anything.

60min 4x per week with a good diet will get you jacked and lifting big enough weights to freak most people out. Your wasting your life trying to be Champion of ... well nothing really.

I don't really care what you do with your time. And no one really cares if you Deadlift 300 instead of 250 or if you can do Shieko 457 in 90 min. Don't let a handful of gym rats and forum favourites fool you. No one in the real world cares. So why waste so much time on it? Get some life perspective. FFS get a life.

Champion of what? Some competition that 10 people in the world care about. Champion of an internet forum? Its like the loser I read about who spent 30k on roids to win a $10 bodybuilding trophy. LOSER. Go get a woman and a university degree or something worthwhile.

20+ hours per week. You could easily devote 70% of that time to some other physical hobby and earn a greater sense of life satisfaction than being the Champion of the losers who hang out in a gym 20h per week or troll this forum with 10k posts about how macho they are. Get a part time job and save the money up for an awesome car. Spend 20h a week chasing skirt. Perfecting a sport. Taking a course. Earn a black belt. Work with charity. Pretty much anything.

60min 4x per week with a good diet will get you jacked and lifting big enough weights to freak most people out. Your wasting your life trying to be Champion of ... well nothing really.

I don't really care what you do with your time. And no one really cares if you Deadlift 300 instead of 250 or if you can do Shieko 457 in 90 min. Don't let a handful of gym rats and forum favourites fool you. No one in the real world cares. So why waste so much time on it? Get some life perspective. FFS get a life.

Agree with most of what you say.

But if someone really enjoys spending 20 hours in a gym walking around with invisible suitcases and bragging about their 2nd place at the world championships ( out of 2 competitors) I'm not going to say they shouldn't enjoy that and do something else.

Not my cup of tea but do what you enjoy.

Don't get me wrong. I was not attacking you. Just pointing out a few salient points.

Lets face it, we all gonna die. Some sooner than later. Frankly, most people who have lasting fame on this planet were complete arseholes. Hitler, Galigula, Nero, Napoleon, Greg Glassman. So anything you achieve will be puny, temporary and quickly erased by others that follow you or by the drowning sands of time. That goes for family too. Do you know who your great great grandparents on your mother's side were? Probably not.

So what do we do with out time on this mortal coil? Well, we could sit at home and watch TV or play Mortal Combat. Or we could be the best parent we can, be well educated, travel the world, do whatever.

When I say, "be a champion", I am referring initially to being the very best I can in my sport of powerlifting. If that means I never win a plastic trophy in my local meet, then so be it. It's the intention to be the best I can possibly be that makes me a champion.

Unfortunately, most never aspire to be great in anything. But as I pointed out, and I think I did so accurately, then to succeed in anything to the point of being a champion, you gotta put more in than just a token effort. And you gotta do that every day of the year, even when you are taking time off.

Anything that makes you the best without putting in a full 100% is effort is a waste of time. Anything. If someone tried to give me a trophy for just turning up I would kick him in dafukkin nuts.

So, no matter what you want to be good at, you gotta put in an effort beyond a token poke. If that means spending 20 hours in the gym then thats what I will do. If that, in turn, means that I gotta bet up at 4.30am then thats what I will do. You want to be great. You gotta put in a great effort.

You really are just a giant tool aren't you. If you don't like powerlifting that's fine but its means a whole lot to a lot of people who consider it a very worthwhile endeavour, especially those chasing world records or podium finishes at the world champs. I'd definitely prefer to be doing this than chasing skirt or worrying about a fucking car like you suggested.

You're telling us to get a life yet you're coming in here and bashing us for doing something we enjoy. You're a fucking loser mate.

You really are just a giant tool aren't you. If you don't like powerlifting that's fine but its means a whole lot to a lot of people who consider it a very worthwhile endeavour, especially those chasing world records or podium finishes at the world champs. I'd definitely prefer to be doing this than chasing skirt or worrying about a fucking car like you suggested.

You're telling us to get a life yet you're coming in here and bashing us for doing something we enjoy. You're a fucking loser mate.

Yeah its a worthwhile endeavor. But when you spend 4+ hours a day on it, its no longer a hobby but an obsession. It's a second job. You then need to step back and say hey I am not getting paid for this and maybe the 10% extra I can lift is really not worth it. Its not my fault your too stupid to see it.

And yeah I took great offense at how you Oni were bagging out people like Big Mick earlier in the thread and then going on to brag about how long your work outs were for several more. It was offensive and just showed what a couple of tools the pair of you are.

Last edited:
Yeah its a worthwhile endeavor. But when you spend 4+ hours a day on it, its no longer a hobby but an obsession. It's a second job. You then need to step back and say hey I am not getting paid for this and maybe the 10% extra I can lift is really not worth it. Its not my fault your too stupid to see it.

And yeah I took great offense at how you Oni were bagging out people like Big Mick earlier in the thread and then going on to brag about how long your work outs were for several more. It was offensive and just showed what a couple of tools the pair of you are.

What? Mick missed the point entire then eventually appeared to get it. There's a difference between working out and training. And nobody was "bragging" about how long they train, that's just the truth of how much effort you have to put in to reach the top of our sport. And whether we think its worth it or not is up to us to judge not fuckwits like you. Lots of people drop off eventually because it does take a lot of time and effort to keep up in powerlifting, they have families, get new jobs, get new hobbies, etc, but I know a few guys who are kicking along in their 60s, 70s and even 80s because they love what they do.

But whatever, your input is not longer required here. Enjoy mediocrity (see that, that's me judging you in the same fuckwit way you judged us).

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks.

EDIT: plus Freako and the like are PTs and have run gyms and I assume are likely to do so again.

Last edited:
Salient point;

There is a difference between a workout and skills "training"

How much one needs to train is dependent upon the skill level of the trainee.

A workout should not last more than 1 hour.
the shorter a workout is the more intensity of work needs to be performed.

Different strokes for different folks.

EDIT: plus Freako and the like are PTs and have run gyms and I assume are likely to do so again.

to me, the purpose of a workout is to find the minimum amount (time) required to garner results, not, how much I can stand.

to me, the purpose of a workout is to find the minimum amount (time) required to garner results, not, how much I can stand.

yep, that's what I do do to (see that poetry). I've recently started supersetting a lot of my workouts to get in and out quicker.

I was just making the point that this is work for Freako and a few others.

Salient point;

There is a difference between a workout and skills "training"

How much one needs to train is dependent upon the skill level of the trainee.

A workout should not last more than 1 hour.
the shorter a workout is the more intensity of work needs to be performed.

I concur; I prefer short and sharp.

Now I am back doing bb training, absolutely love the intensity I get, even without doing many basic powerlifts.