• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lower back pain - how to eliminate?

plAythiNG

Hi All,

Few weeks ago realised I had done my lower back and gave squats/deadlifts/all lower back/body exercises a miss.

and then just started doing bodyweighted squats and deadlifts. Body felt ok in terms of recovery and last week decided to jump back into deadlifts.

the DL session felt ok, pulled 180kg for only one rep and knew I had some pain so stopped right away.

Today I did 4x10 deadlifts @ 40kg and was in quite some pain.

Besides a foam roller, anything else I can do to try and have the injury heal faster etc?

Hey

The people here are really good at giving great advise, but, help us to help you by providing more information.

What do you mean by "done my lower back"?

The first thing you need to do, is go to a physio and find out what's actually going on.

I will say this, Jumping straight into a 180 deadlift is stupidity

Hey

The people here are really good at giving great advise, but, help us to help you by providing more information.

What do you mean by "done my lower back"?

The first thing you need to do, is go to a physio and find out what's actually going on.

I will say this, Jumping straight into a 180 deadlift is stupidity

sorry, u are right I should have calrified a bit more.

when I say I have done my lwoer back, I have these sharp back pains when doing 40kg bb squats as well as deadlifts on the same weight. WHenever I put any strain on my lower back, the pain comes along.

I didnt pull 180kg striaght away on a DL. Of course I warmed up with much lighter weight and worked my way up to 180kg...

sorry, u are right I should have calrified a bit more.

when I say I have done my lwoer back, I have these sharp back pains when doing 40kg bb squats as well as deadlifts on the same weight. WHenever I put any strain on my lower back, the pain comes along.

I didnt pull 180kg striaght away on a DL. Of course I warmed up with much lighter weight and worked my way up to 180kg...

are you able to video yourself doing a light set of dead's?

when it comes to your back don't fuck around , need to give it plenty of time to recover and don't put too much force on it ,

+1 go and get it checked out Dr (for scan) and physio

why the heck would you risk damaging yourself more after an injury ?

Look up "Limber 11" on Youtube and try some of the mobilty stretches.
I had the same problem once, sharp pain. Turned out my hamstrings were very tight and uneven which pulled my hips down and slightly crooked. Most lower back pain/tightness is the reult of poor mobility through hip, hams, groin etc.

Last edited:
there's a proper way of lifting weights using the legs and not to put strain on your back. take a rest and let your muscle recover for a while then slightly return to normal lifting once the pain is all gone. hope this helps.. goodluck and take care next time. :)

Get your form checked by someone who knows how to deadlift (powerlifter doing 3xbodyweight or 250kg+)

Look up "Limber 11" on Youtube and try some of the mobilty stretches.
I had the same problem once, sharp pain. Turned out my hamstrings were very tight and uneven which pulled my hips down and slightly crooked. Most lower back pain/tightness is the reult of poor mobility through hip, hams, groin etc.

THanks mate, yes i think you are right, I need to stretch my hips more often!

there's a proper way of lifting weights using the legs and not to put strain on your back. take a rest and let your muscle recover for a while then slightly return to normal lifting once the pain is all gone. hope this helps.. goodluck and take care next time. :)

Thanks mate!

Get your form checked by someone who knows how to deadlift (powerlifter doing 3xbodyweight or 250kg+)

well I currently do 2.4x my bodyweight so I think this is a silly post

go to a physio or a massage place, they probably too charge about 100 dollars a session.
Most likely your joints are gone that run alongside your hip. Muscle and joints are gone and need to be presssed.
I have had so many lower back injuiries, chinese massages if you can't afford but you need somebody to press the joints around your hip that will cure it up. no need for scans, if you are able to walk your fine and need rest, massage AND LOTS LOTS LOTS OF STRETCHING

to heal QUICKER you must stretch, all you should be doing for a month or 2 is stretching as this will heal you quicker

tiger balm or muscle heat creams , goanna, are your best friends. dont use pain killers

go to a physio or a massage place, they probably too charge about 100 dollars a session.
Most likely your joints are gone that run alongside your hip. Muscle and joints are gone and need to be presssed.
I have had so many lower back injuiries, chinese massages if you can't afford but you need somebody to press the joints around your hip that will cure it up. no need for scans, if you are able to walk your fine and need rest, massage AND LOTS LOTS LOTS OF STRETCHING

to heal QUICKER you must stretch, all you should be doing for a month or 2 is stretching as this will heal you quicker

tiger balm or muscle heat creams , goanna, are your best friends. dont use pain killers

Bloody terrible advise.

Get to a physiotherapist. If you've injured your back you need a professional assessment and rehabilitation plan - not advice from people on the internet to do some stretches and watch a few videos.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Get to a physiotherapist. If you've injured your back you need a professional assessment and rehabilitation plan - not advice from people on the internet to do some stretches and watch a few videos.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Worth repeating

Doctor first mate. Don't want a Physio or Chiro doing manipulations/traction if you have disc bulges or the like. Get a scan to see what's going on back there. Then the Physio/Chiro knows better what to treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the weirdest thing I have read. Where would the joints have gone???

If by gone you mean damaged/destroyed, how will massaging muscles fix anything??

There are no joints that run alongside your hip!!

What do you mean pressed?? And how would that fix a joint??

To the OP, well not sure why you attempted to dead lift 180kg when you knew your back was giving dramas…thats just crazy.

Go see a doctor now and see what damage you have done then go about trying to repair it.

Last edited: