• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Media Marketing "Healthy Foods" - The Myths Behind the Ads

can someone please ask Baz what about preservatives and additives or foods in general that are supposed to be carcinogens, I'm too afraid to? :D

Please name all the carcinogens in our food and the levels they are at. Then show the peer reviewed research showing that they are carcinogens at the levels we actually eat. Any additives we eat go through massive testing if they found dangerous at the levels we eat they are pretty quickly banned.

Just because something is dangerous at very high levels does not mean it isn't perfectly safe at low levels.

Only speed read through most of the replies so im probably going off on a tangent here but:

The only food that i would consider to have a direct toxic effect on the body is processed sugars. People who consume high amounts of alcohol and neglect their diets arent exactly an overweight demographic of people. They probably wouldnt even reach their daily caloric requirements but still end up with diabetes. Im not saying these people are alcoholics to the point of it being a full blown addiction im just pointing out the demographic of heavy beer drinkers and binge drinkers that are amongst the population. This is purely an example of eating under your caloric requirements but eating the wrong type of calories and causing the body damage.
Not to mention the insulin spike that sugar causes and its affect on other hormones due to this.

The same thing goes for people with cholesterol, granted some people are more sensitive than others and usually the demographic of people with cholesterol problems are overweight but if you eat a diet ( atkins comes to mind ) of saturated fats in foods such as bacon, beef fat, butter, full cream dairy products etc. in the long term you are doing damage. Even if you are eating within your caloric requirements and not getting fatter as such.

Purely examples here that a calorie isnt simply just a calorie :p

@NJA82; artificial sweetners in softdrinks are carcinogens ie. aspartame

Alcohol is toxic.

Is aspartame in low to medium levels actually proven to be toxic though? ive done a bit of research on it a while back and its fairly vague as far as studies and actual findings of it causing any long term health issues...

Is aspartame in low to medium levels actually proven to be toxic though? ive done a bit of research on it a while back and its fairly vague as far as studies and actual findings of it causing any long term health issues...

You hear the same shit about stevia which is perfectly safe, the myth it is toxic was started by biased studies sponsored by american sugar companies.

Your example earlier about beer drinkers is correct but you can't argue that if macros are met and you are eating to maintenance cals you will be healthy.

The key to a calorie controlled diet is that you get your allowance of carbs/fats/proteins. Thats where the balance is regardless of what the diet is made up of.

@NJA82; artificial sweetners in softdrinks are carcinogens ie. aspartame

Alcohol is toxic.

Aspartame is one of if not the most highly studied food additive ever and it still comes up as being safe in levels we are likely to consume. It has been studied for over 30 years.

Alcohol is toxic and so is anything if you have enough of it, water and oxygen for example, try quitting them and see how you go. In smaller amounts alcohol is fine and a few studies have shown people who drink at low levels to on average live longer than strict non drinkers.

I remember when I was at Uni being told about one of the studies used by people trying to link aspartame causing cancer in humans.

It was a rat study and the dose was equivalent to a human eating about 20000 of the aspartame sweetener tablets every day for a year or two and only then the rats started to show signs of cancer.

The key to a calorie controlled diet is that you get your allowance of carbs/fats/proteins. Thats where the balance is regardless of what the diet is made up of.

Agreed those cover your calorie controls...

Regarding health
The other side of the coin is micronutrients... Vitamins and other essential nutrients....

I remember when I was at Uni being told about one of the studies used by people trying to link aspartame causing cancer in humans.

It was a rat study and the dose was equivalent to a human eating about 20000 of the aspartame sweetener tablets every day for a year or two and only then the rats started to show signs of cancer.
60 minutes ran that last year or the year before: that aspartame is cancerous. Don't believe everything on TV I guess.

Lol there is a write up today on scientific research on fruit flies that indicates that hungar affects the brains capability to make decisions in humans...

Kuntz????

60 minutes ran that last year or the year before: that aspartame is cancerous. Don't believe everything on TV I guess.

60 minutes??? WTF. Lol. TV shows are in the business of ratings, scientifically accurate information comes in very distant down the list of priorities.
How good do you think a story saying there is nothing to worry about with aspartame so carry on with your day would go.

If I remember right there was a fair bit of backlash over that story as well.

Agreed those cover your calorie controls...

Regarding health
The other side of the coin is micronutrients... Vitamins and other essential nutrients....

This is where just eating a range of foods comes into it. Eating too much of anything is not good.

Lol...

Millions of litres of coke zero and Pepsi max consumed every day.....

Kuntz going to be dropping like flies by the end of the year...

What happened to our mate [MENTION=16099]littlebro05[/MENTION]; the nutritional tarantino was out of his depth lol.

Better stick to hitting the pads and telling all his mates about what a gun kickboxer he is.

I just watched the video and realised I'm e battling a 15 year old FML the internet why do I bother

Lol. I'm the guy who plays the dude who brings the salad out to my cousin. I'm actually 21. I never actually said I was a good 'kickboxer', I only said how I got my ass kicked. XD. Funny, how someone mentions they do a fight sport, and all of a sudden BAM. Assumptions.

Although, this discussion has become very interesting. From what I've briefly read, it's funny what the media has shown and how some people relate what they've heard on television into an argument. I'm meaning from what happened in 60minutes.

Your best bet is to use properly researched articles to back up on your arguments. I'm learning a lot from you guys. Thanks =)!

Last edited:
Lol. I'm the guy who plays the dude who brings the salad out to my cousin. I'm actually 21. I never actually said I was a good 'kickboxer', I only said how I got my ass kicked. XD. Funny, how someone mentions they do a fight sport, and all of a sudden BAM. Assumptions.

Although, this discussion has become very interesting. From what I've briefly read, it's funny what the media has shown and how some people relate what they've heard on television into an argument. I'm meaning from what happened in 60minutes.

Your best bet is to use properly researched articles to back up on your arguments. I'm learning a lot from you guys. Thanks =)!

Oh pleas do enlighten us on your peer researched articles.

Look mate I'm sure your intentions are noble but do yourself a favour read some of the stuff on here by a guy called max brenner. Very well researched and plenty of legit studies to back his research.

Sorry mate but your still a noob, maybe go out and do a little more research

Dafaq?! ... The chocolate dude is a nutritionist?

Nah that was the posters handle. He runs a consultancy on diet and nutrition now, don't think he was a formally trained nutritionist but fuck he knew his shit and had the research to back it plus was in epic shape for a guy that trained like twice a week I think it was.

Read some of his shit it's worth spending a few hours.