• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My quick weekly program - opinions?

martz

Hi all, I'm a noob at weight training, just started a few months ago. It's taken a little while to get a consistent program every week. So what I'm doing is the following:

Monday:
Squats or Dead Lifts - 1x10, 1x8, 1x6
Bench - 1x10, 1x8, 1x6
Lat Pull Down - 1x10, 1x8, 1x6
Rows (seated or DB bent over) - 1x10, 1x8, 1x6
DB Shoulder Press - 1x10, 1x8, 1x6

Wednesday:
Same as Monday

Friday:
Same As Monday

When I quit the gym and workout on my equipment at home, instead of seated rows and lat pull down I'll be doing bent over bb rows and chinups. (I have muscle motion rack at home).

I like doing a full body workout each session. I do a very quick light warm up before each different exercise and on average 2min break between sets. Each set I go till failure hence the reduction in reps every set. I do cardio and abs on some other days if I can be bothered.

Thoughts guys?

Last edited:
Before I did them both in any one session, I did squats at the start, followed by upper body (chest, arms, shoulders) and squats last but I found that my legs were still too fatigued to do dead lifts even though they had time to recover whilst doing upper body exercises.

It's not that I couldn't do them but I couldn't get out as many reps as I would usually do if hadn't done squats and form was affected a bit too towards the end of a set. I should probably just lower the weight a bit so I can get all the reps out with good and consistent form and increase slowly from there.

Your workout is what I did for a while (I skipped legs though, knee problems) and it got me a good base level of strength (overhead press of 58kg, bench of 90kg or so back then).

I've since moved onto a split routine that looks like:
day 1 - chest/shoulders
day 2 - rows/chins
day 3 - squats/deadlifts

But the full body 3 sets per muscle group at 3x weekly sure does the trick for the beginner! I'd still do it if I could recover fast enough.

I like doing a full body workout each session. I do a very quick light warm up before each different exercise and on average 2min break between sets. Each set I go till failure hence the reduction in reps every set. I do cardio and abs on some other days if I can be bothered.

Thoughts guys?

This confuses me a bit, are you saying your not adding a fixed increment of weight to the bar every week or every session. How are you tracking your progression on rep pb's?

This confuses me a bit, are you saying your not adding a fixed increment of weight to the bar every week or every session. How are you tracking your progression on rep pb's?

I am adding weight to the bar every week.

I am adding weight to the bar every week.

So all sets at the same weight or progressively heavier through the workout? Why are you dropping back the reps?

What is your weight progression every week?

He's adding more weight each set, hence the drop in reps with each set, a form of progressive overload.

Last edited:
He's adding more weight each set, hence the drop in reps with each set, a form of progressive overload.

actually I'm not adding weight to each set, reason I'm doing 8 reps in my second set and 6 reps in third set is because that is all I can get out! My muscles are too fatigued from previous set to get the same number of reps the next set. Hope that makes sense.

What is your weight progression every week?

umm don't have my progress sheet here but approx 2.5kg for upper body stuff and 5kg for lower body.

actually I'm not adding weight to each set, reason I'm doing 8 reps in my second set and 6 reps in third set is because that is all I can get out! My muscles are too fatigued from previous set to get the same number of reps the next set. Hope that makes sense.

umm don't have my progress sheet here but approx 2.5kg for upper body stuff and 5kg for lower body.

If you can't get the prescribed reps back the weight off. You weight progressions are good.

Remind me again why you don't wanna run starting strength?

Are you still working out in the gym or are you using the home setup you bought. My advice is go see sticky for a session he will sort out any form issues then you can confidently smash yourself up in the gym.

I would stop going to failure each set. If its strength your after i would be leaving one rep in the tank. I'm not saying dont train hard just dont ever miss reps it tends to do more damage then good when using progressive overload

It is possible to go all out but still not miss reps

If you can't get the prescribed reps back the weight off. You weight progressions are good.

Remind me again why you don't wanna run starting strength?

Are you still working out in the gym or are you using the home setup you bought. My advice is go see sticky for a session he will sort out any form issues then you can confidently smash yourself up in the gym.

He's not doing starting strength cos it's poo

He could probably throw the order around, and include either good mornings or sldl but otherwise looks fine.
SS gives 90 working repetitions for squat, 90 for bench and 15 for deadlifts over a fortnight
His puts those figures at 72 for squats/deads and over 120 for bench

It really comes back to how long you have been training for and what type of poundages you are lifting. If you are a beginner, then this program will more then likely be OK, provided you can keep your intensity up.

If you have been training for a while now and you are moving some big weights, you will more then likely be over training around the 4 week mark.

You simple can't force a muscle to grow faster by training it more often.