• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Nutrition advice

broncs

On the road to fitness again .
A bit of info about me, my diet and training :

32 years old
168 cm
79.8 kgs (down from 85 Xmas time )
Reasonably fit and just a bit of fat arround the tummy

I work 10 hours a day , fairly physical job .
I try to eat every 2.5 - 3hrs . It is a bit hard with the type of work i do to have a break when needed . Been on 2000 cal for the last 3 weeks. Been doing burpies or push ups in the mornings and weights at night . Noticed the fat is going down , had to tighten my tool belt about 2 inches:)

So here is the diet :

4.30 am - 5weetbix , WPI sahke with 200mil of mik , 2 fish oil tablets

7 am - 20g of almonds or cashews

9-15 am - 200g of youghurt and banana or apple

12.30 - chicken breast with heaps of vegies or salad (lettuce tomato cucumber , feta cheese, teaspoon of olive oil) 1 apple
OR if not chicken is tuna in springwater with salad and 2 eggs

4pm - 20g of almonds or cashews or 3 rye cruskits with peanut butter)

6- 6.30 pm - dinner is normally chicken , pork ribs with vegies , wholemeal pasta .

8.30 before bed i have another WPI shake .

Problem is i have dinner before i workout because we feed the kids and so on . I try to workout before dinner but is a bit hard .

My question is is it a good idea to have dinner before workout ?
I dont take anything after a workout so should i change that ?
I am going to start having a cup of white tea in the morning and taking some BETA ALANINE as per Fadi;s advice .
Is there anything else you guys can suggest to make things work better ?
Should i take some creatine , WMS ? Sometimes i feel a bit weak during workouts if it is before dinner and i don't have anything to eat before that
Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Well done on setting your plan in black and white Broncs. Now I only have one question for you before I proceed with anything I have to say; what is your aim? You say you’ve come down in weight, but I need to know is that still your aim and if so how low in weight do you want to go? Your answer would make it very easy for me to point you in the right direction (possibly without having to change a single thing with your eating).

Thank you.

Fadi.

Good point Fadi .
Well i would like to get down to 70-75kg but don't want to loose any muscle .
Even @85kg i only had fat around the tummy , never put on any on my arms face and so on .
I would like to get some more muscle though and have less body fat .
When i started 3 weeks a go i started bench pressing with 47kg , this week i could do 3 sets with 74 kg of 10-8-5 reps .
Maybe i should just start to lay down the foundation by doing what you suggest here and then get into more weight training.
I am working out at home so i am limited to what i can do but i try to do as much as i can with what i have .

I tried today doing one of those training circles you mentioned .
Here is what i did :
100 burpies in 16min 47s (need to bring this down )
20 x star jumps
20 x squat
20 x bench press
20 x military press
20 x bent over row
20 dead lift
20 x barbell curls
20 x crunches

It felt good but was feeling a bit weak afterwards ...

I am ready to keep going with the weights and do what i have been doing for the last 3 weeks
Monday - chest / triceps
Tuesday - biceps / shoulders
Wednesday - back / legs (very limited , only squating and walking with 2x 18kg db for 10 min )
Thursday start from the begining .
10 min of cardio on the treadmill after every session - 1 min walking @4.5k , 1 min @14k

If you think i should just stick with your weight circuit training for a few weeks as you mentioned i will do that .

Btw a dodgy pic i took 3 weeks ago
P3042212.jpg

Last edited:
I see no issue at all with your training. I think the only time you may run into some problems is if you decide to bring your calories down from say 2200/2000 calories. Because if you do that then you would definitely begin to lose muscles. Our aim is to feed the muscle and starve off the fat. Feed the muscles with food and training, and starve off the fat cells by not going over board with our calories yet at the same time speeding up our metabolism on two fronts; HIIT and medium weight lifting to maintain as much muscles as possible which in turn would cause fat to burn off (in the engine of muscles).

You look fine to me broncs, but I would have liked to have seen your shoulders.

Fadi.

Thanks Fadi !
I will concentrate on losing as much fat as i can without losing to much muscle . Going to order some Beta-Alanine tablets . Do you think i should get some Oatmass or WMS for pre/post workout as in your 2200cal food plan ?
I've been getting arround 2000cal the last few weeks .
Breakdown usin cal king for the last week - 23%F / 33% protein / 44% carbs .
Anything i should increase/decrease ?

Cheers !

Here is another pic :

today-1.png

Thanks Fadi !
I will concentrate on losing as much fat as i can without losing to much muscle . Going to order some Beta-Alanine tablets . Do you think i should get some Oatmass or WMS for pre/post workout as in your 2200cal food plan ?
I've been getting arround 2000cal the last few weeks .
Breakdown usin cal king for the last week - 23%F / 33% protein / 44% carbs .
Anything i should increase/decrease ?

Cheers !

Here is another pic :

Thanks for the pic Broncs; you've got lots of potential there to grow some serious muscles in good time mate.

As for the WMS or Oatmuscle, I'd get Oatmuscle for before and Nutrex Volu Grow for post workout. You may think the volu grow is expensive at around $62-$70 something dollars Broncs, but it has something I'd want you to have also after training in the right amount and that is creatine. Forget what they say on the instruction label and please do the following:

Take 1 tablespoon (20g) only after your workout. That would give you 2.5g of creatine and 15g of WMS, not enough carbs but I haven’t finished yet. Wait 10 minutes and have a thick slice of white bread CalorieKing.com.au - Food Data. Nutrition information about your favourite food. fat, fibre, protein and more or a medium sized white potato so as to increase and come close to the amount of carbs we want to have after training, but at the same time not disrupt the absorption rate of the delicate WMS and the delivery of creatine into your blood stream then muscles.

The Nutrex product has about 1520g of powder inside it and is recommended that you take 76.5g a day (I'm relying on my memory now). By taking only 20g a day, this product would last you about 75 days instead of 20! Now please don't tell Nutrex about me, I've got enough companies hating me out there I'm sure :D!

As for the ratio of your macros, please change them to 33%F / 26% protein / 41% carbs.

All the best Champion.

Fadi.

Once again thanks Fadi for taking the time to answer and explain thing, it means a lot .

I will follow your advice and will update with progress .

Cheers!

Fadi , burpies are getting easier.
You said beta alanine will help , well it is helping i think .
Only a few days into it but i can feel some difference.

Thanks !

Fadi , burpies are getting easier.
You said beta alanine will help , well it is helping i think .
Only a few days into it but i can feel some difference.

Thanks !

How long will it take to start noticing benefits?
Performance benefits typically occur in as little as two weeks, although some individuals will notice benefits within one week. As carnosine levels increase, the benefits will follow. The most dramatic results are generally experienced within the 3-4 week range but they don’t stop there. Recent research is now showing carnosine levels continue to increase for a minimum of 12 weeks which is why we recommend staying on Beta-Alanine for at least three months to optimize your carnosine levels.
Beta-Alanine. The Facts.

Well done broncs.

Fadi.

Fadi, loving the Volu Gro mate .
I bought some Dr Sandra magnesium tablets as well .

Been sitting arround 2000 cal still . Had no milk at all last week(do u think doing this for a few weeks will help me loose last bit of love handles)

Here is my current diet :

4.30 am 2 beta alanine
2 boiled eggs
3x toast
2x fish oil tablets

7 am - 20g of dried apricots

9-15 am - 200g of youghurt
1 banana

12.30 - 150g of chicken breast with salad (1 teaspoon of olive oil, cucumber, 20g of feta cheese,tomato. lettuce)
1 apple
2 beta alanine

4pm - 20g of almonds or a can of tuna

5pm - 2 beta alanine (taking 6tablets only for 2 weeks ,after that 4 tablets )

5.30pm 20g of volu gro after workout
1 piece of white bread

6pm - dinner varies but is mostly chicken with heaps of vegies, wholemeal pasta, stake .

I walk an average of 5k every day at work and lift heavy gear most of the day .

What should i have before bed though ? Is WPI with water good idea ? I used to have a tblsp of cottage cheese and a glass of milk .

Thanks !

Last edited:
Your doing a good job broncs keep up the good work. I'm not to sure what fadi will say but a wpc before bed was recommended to me once because of it's slower releasing properties. Personally I have a hand full of almnds right before bed.
Posted via Mobile Device

How long will it take to start noticing benefits?
Performance benefits typically occur in as little as two weeks, although some individuals will notice benefits within one week. As carnosine levels increase, the benefits will follow. The most dramatic results are generally experienced within the 3-4 week range but they don’t stop there. Recent research is now showing carnosine levels continue to increase for a minimum of 12 weeks which is why we recommend staying on Beta-Alanine for at least three months to optimize your carnosine levels.
Beta-Alanine. The Facts.

Well done broncs.

Fadi.

just bought a kilo.. :)

Your doing a good job broncs keep up the good work. I'm not to sure what fadi will say but a wpc before bed was recommended to me once because of it's slower releasing properties. Personally I have a hand full of almnds right before bed.
Posted via Mobile Device

I say there's hardly a difference in the digestion and assimilation between WPI and WPC. The difference in the above two mentioned aspects occur when casein enters the arena due to the way it coagulates in the stomach. Milk casein is not something I'm crazy about though. Did you know that you can make industrial glue out of it! Casein is used in many foods as a binding agent...even in nail polish!

Most (if not all) meal replacements used in weight loss diets have casein and fructose as their major ingredients. Some would justify such a consumption based on time, as in the consumption would last only for the duration of the weight loss program or muscle gain (or anti-catabolic agent) as in the case of a bodybuilder taking it before bed time.

Almonds soaked in water over night then having boiled water poured over them for about 5 seconds (to make the peeling of the skin a breeze), are much better digested and therefore assimilated then their unsoaked counterpart. It's a bit like sprouting a dry legume and bringing it back to life!

PS: It’s not just what you eat, but more importantly what you digest and assimilate that really counts towards a healthier and more muscular you!

Fadi.

Last edited:
That will teach me not to read the side of max's night time protein... Won't it fadi?
Posted via Mobile Device

That will teach me not to read the side of max's night time protein... Won't it fadi?
Posted via Mobile Device

There is always two sides to a story. Night time protein fits the bill perfectly here.

95E59A0C8E21FDC6DC821B40A157D989.jpg

The above is certainly a powerful anti-catabolic/anabolic protein as advertised, but there’s more. Calcium Caseinate and Micellar Casein are not two ingredients I'd put into my body in a hurry.

That does not make night time protein a bad product, on the contrary (as I've alluded to already), I think it's a great product for what it was designed for; muscles! However there's more to me (and you Gouche I'm sure) than simply muscles. I always like to look at the bigger picture and from a distance so as to grasp the finer details in and /about life as a whole; health...then muscles.

Fadi.

Point taken. So the casein can be found in all wpc? Is that correct. I'm only purchasing from bulknutrients these days. Order should be here today!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Point taken. So the casein can be found in all wpc? Is that correct. I'm only purchasing from bulknutrients these days. Order should be here today!!
Posted via Mobile Device

There should be no casein in wpc i believe...

But where do you draw the line? If you want to be a total health finatic then keeping your protein intake low is the healthy option as protein by product uric acid decreases the bodys ph level and causes a more acidic environment. disease cancer included occur when the body is in an acidic environment...

so where do we draw the line?

strive for balance.

What if there is none?

What if you have to sacrafice certain aspects to get certain reults...

Though by getting these results you are fitter healthier ect so the negative is outweighted? These thigns we can not measure so it is impossible to figure out what is a correct balance at a celluar level..

Then suck it up and deal with it :D Sports pro's are not healthy though people think they are the epitome of health. Look at a powerlifter they exercise a lot but are so unhealthy. Yeah these are basic examples but it all depends on what is important to you, you can try to balance and alleviate some things but you will never get everything.