• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Overhead press thread

The chaos and pain articles on the reverse grip pressing variations are also of note.
Reverse grip incline press is apparently great

Like others have said I have found volume and frequency in the 3-5 rep range work well. I can train presses every day and not have any problem.

As for exercises I find ones that are more difficult than the normal strict press carry over best. Like BTN presses or dumbbell presses.

Push press are a great exercise in their own right but I don't get any carryover to strict presses. But a couple months BTN pressing and hit PBs in strict press without even doing it in that time.

Nothing kills upper body strength like sore shoulders so I just drop any exercise that gives me sore shoulders and do something else.

I hate strict press because it's the only overhead exercise that I'm no good at.
I got my push press up from 50-75kg and my strict press DID NOT MOVE
To be good at an exercise do it. Is the push press a good shoulder/tricep builder? Yes. Will it improve other upper body exercises like the strict press? Yes. Is it a good substitute for the strict press? Yes. Will it get you good at strict pressing? Nope

2 plates on the strict press is a goal for me as well Brick. It's going to take a while though, whenever I start making progress on it meet prep begins lol. I might take a break from competing for a while to get it up.

Yeah same for me training for comps you have to bench so much that you can't devote the time to ohp.

I found strict pressing only didn't build my bench but it definietly stopped it from regressing. For ages all I did was OHP and my bench went from 120t n g to 112.5 with a pause. Pretty good considering I did no bench training or chins or dips.

My OHP is pretty weak. Yesterday I did 5x5x40kg on it, and I'm currently progressing at a rate of 1kg/wk. At my best I got it up to something like 5x55kg. I've never put a full plate on each side overhead, and certainly not my body weight.

My best is 75kg with strict form, was done at PTC Sydney a little while back, but have never really trained heavy presses, usually keep the weight relatively light with higher reps, seems to be less strain on the shoulders.

No point hurting yourself IMO, as I am training to feel better and look better, not to have hurt shoulders:)

I stick to 50-60kg and 3-5 sets of 8-10 reps.

Might try for a new PB later this year, see how I go.

Last edited:
My OHP is pretty weak. Yesterday I did 5x5x40kg on it, and I'm currently progressing at a rate of 1kg/wk. At my best I got it up to something like 5x55kg. I've never put a full plate on each side overhead, and certainly not my body weight.

Seemed like it took me an eternity to get up to a plate a side but once I passed that plateau it just kept going up. I think it was cause I felt like a legend doing barbell ohp with a full wheel either side.

I rarely, rarely ever saw anyone strict pressing in commercial gyms. Seemed like cause every barbell belonged to a rack or bench peeps were scared to grab one and start pressing. God forbid you do something different in a commercial gym.

Seemed like it took me an eternity to get up to a plate a side but once I passed that plateau it just kept going up. I think it was cause I felt like a legend doing barbell ohp with a full wheel either side.

I rarely, rarely ever saw anyone strict pressing in commercial gyms. Seemed like cause every barbell belonged to a rack or bench peeps were scared to grab one and start pressing. God forbid you do something different in a commercial gym.

At my gym they do a Houdini act so people can do god damn t-bar rows

Of late I have taken a set of dumbbells in the house and most days do a few extra sets of dumbbell OHP while cooking lunch. Haven't noticed any recovery problems with this and getting better at them.

Was hitting 3 x 100kg strict press before my injury at 105kg bw. Friend of mine is 100kg and hit 110kg for 1. Love the exercise, takes an insane amount of core strength not just shoulders.

Was hitting 3 x 100kg strict press before my injury at 105kg bw. Friend of mine is 100kg and hit 110kg for 1. Love the exercise, takes an insane amount of core strength not just shoulders.

Fuck yeah. Backs my theory that bodyweight builds lifts.

I love it. Best is 80 x 1 and 60 x 12.

I usually keep it simple and do 5 x 5, or work up to a heavy triple and then do 5 x 10 with lighter weight.

I love it. Best is 80 x 1 and 60 x 12.

I usually keep it simple and do 5 x 5, or work up to a heavy triple and then do 5 x 10 with lighter weight.

What do you weigh Sam. 80kg strict press is a solid effort.

Not planned but had a crack this morning at a 100kg press and got it for a PB.

To bad after unintentional Easter bulk still haven't got a BW press yet.