• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power Clean

A few pics of Olympic lifters

1410872951_27bc2c3002.jpg

weightlifters.jpg

Pretty sure no one on here looks as good as them.

Absolutely positive no one on here lifts as much as them.

i really need to get down lower and "catch" the bar

Why not concentrate on being more explosive with the second phase of the lift instead; where your hips are thrusted forward to meet with the bar which is the queue for your traps to do their thing and come into play with a mighty shrug!

If you start concentrating on getting below the bar, it may affect your full pull extension.

Are you doing clean pulls and shrugs off the ground? That aught to improve your pulling power immensely.

Fadi.

I know! I was actually expecting him to be more explosive off the ground, though it was in the middle of the lift where it came up quick and he got under it.

In all the weightlifting I've seen, I've never seen anyone pull the bar off the ground slower than the Pocket Hercules himself. Yet the mighty Turk cleaned and jerked 10kg over triple bodyweight at the Soul Olympics when he clean & jerked 190kg at a bodyweight slightly below 60kg.

naim.jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
Interesting that you highlight the heavy guys and not the leaner guys.

I like to be a little more positive than that, but each to their own. Maybe you couldnt find a pic of a lean weightlifter.

Holy Moly. I just watched a heap of Naim vids. He is a strong MOFO!!

Youtube saves the day, type in 'Olympic lifters' and you will be greeted by this bloke as the first search result.

b747.jpg

YouTube - Velichko Cholakov - 207.5kg Snatch, 2004 Olympics

His lifts are most probably world class, but I'd prefer to not lift at all rather than to getting around with man boobs and a keg.

The difference is with 10 weeks of dieting he could have beach body to envy, with a back a traps to block out the sun.

Could you snatch 207.5kg in 10 weeks?

[...] 'Olympic lifters' [...]

His lifts are most probably world class, but I'd prefer to not lift at all rather than to getting around with man boobs and a keg.
You should search a bit longer.

Ivan Stoisov,
ivan-stoitsov.jpg

Amanda Hubbard,
W58%20Amanda%20Hubbard%2085%20kg%20(187%20lb)%20snatch.jpg

Body composition (how much fat you have) and muscular strength are different things. They influence but do not determine each-other. It's possible to have man boobs and a keg and be weak, or to be lean and "cut" and be very strong, or any mixture of these things.

Last edited:
what he looks like probably does not matter to him, a gold medal and a place in history does.
Thats the thing, this is a BB/fitness forum, not a competition weightlifting forum, for me it's looks/size first, strength second but I understand that everyone is different although reading through the 'Why do you train thread' almost everyone lists looking better/size ahead of strength. Pretty much my point.

Last edited:
Thats the thing, this is a BB/fitness forum, not a competition weightlifting forum, for me it's looks/size first, strength second but I understand that everyone is different although reading through the 'Why do you train thread' almost everyone lists looking better/size ahead of strength. Pretty much my point.

meh, this threads about powercleans not what the people doing them look like.

anyway does anyone else have problems with the bar landing on their collarbone when they clean? i had a nice bruise their the other day that looked like a hickey, i got some shit at work about it and had to explain it to the girlfriend :D

meh, this threads about powercleans not what the people doing them look like.

anyway does anyone else have problems with the bar landing on their collarbone when they clean? i had a nice bruise their the other day that looked like a hickey, i got some shit at work about it and had to explain it to the girlfriend :D

David, why do you see that as a problem? It has to land somewhere!:D I don't know what's wrong with me this morning. I can't stop smiling or laughing (and giving stupid answers).

Fadi.

snap........

I choked on my water..

SO anyway i cant seem to get it in the right position do you hold it? or does it sit on your collar bone like a front squat? I try to do them but i end up in a reverse curl sort of situation with my arms and hurts my wrists.

Last edited:
Found this interesting Power Clean technique explanation by Don McCauley, which I thought I'd share with you guys.
Don is a US Olympic Weightlifting coach, and is releasing a book + DVD this month - which looks promising.
Coach Don McCauley | Olympic Weight Training

Practice this with a plastic or wooden dowel about 1.5 meters long.

SET POSITION
1. Bar over base of toes.
2. Weight on front of feet w/feet flat.
3. Hips lower rather than higher.
4. Shoulders directly over the bar and arms hanging down vertically by the outside of the knee joints and elbows should be pointing toward the ends of the bar. Also, shoulders should be slightly forward and down (traps stretched).

1st PULL
1. Drive knees to rear while keeping the torso in Set angle
2. As that happens, balance goes to heels(it should feel like your driving your shin bones down through the heels on an angle.)
3. Sweep the bar inwards using your lats to make the bar do a pendulum swing towards you. (video yourself and see if you're making the bar come in diagonally towards your hips.)
4. Continue to drive up as the bar moves diagonally towards your hips. (As the bar nears your hips, your torso will tilt forward slightly. That's correct.)

The double-knee bend occurs as you reach about 95% of knee extension.
1. Keep you balance over the heels throughout this movement.
2. Allow your knees to travel forward and raise you back slightly.
(don't over do or over think this.)

You should now be in a position in which your shoulders are still slightly forward of the bar, you knees are bent to a greater degree(about what you would use to jump on a .5 meter box), your hips are slightly lower, your torso is raised and your balance should still be over your heels. From here, you start the explosive hip extension of the 2nd pull.

2nd PULL
1. Drive your hips upward with explosive force.
2. Allow your torso to get to a verticle position as your hips continue to extend towards full range of motion.

3rd PULL
1. As soon as your torso reaches verticle, (your bodyweight is probably over your forefeet now and your heels may be off the ground), shrug and pull with your arms to accelerate your descent.
2. Drive your heels back into the platform as quickly as possible.
3. Keep your torso facing as forward as possible as you squat.

If it was a snatch, the bar should be over the back of your head with arms reaching up and shoulder blades(scapulae) pressed together. If it was a clean, your elbows should be facing forward and your shoulders also should be forward, in front of the bar.