• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting in Australia

bro

So I'm interested in powerlifting. Not right now, but a couple of years down the track. So I'm looking for information about powerlifting. What competitions are available in Australia?

From what I've gathered, there are two main federations with an Australian presence. The IPF, represented by Powerlifting Australia. And the WPC, represented by CAPO. What are the main differences? Can you compete in both? From what I understand, IPF is drug tested, single-ply geared, while WPC is not tested and uses double-ply gear but also has raw divisions.

So are there Australian championships in both each year? Do the top go to world championships? Can you complete in both? Etc...

Thanks

PA is testing out raw btw. The first raw comp is this November and next year there might be a raw national.

Why not get into powerlifting right now, bro?

You can still go to a powerlifting gym and start training properly.

One beginner who competed in my last comp was lifting around 100/67/115. Next comp he'll smash those by a big margin. That'd be a great mental boost!

You can still go to a powerlifting gym and start training properly.

One beginner who competed in my last comp was lifting around 100/67/115. Next comp he'll smash those by a big margin. That'd be a great mental boost!

I'm training properly. I go to my uni (University of Sydney) gym and it's decent. My 5rep maxes are 85/60/110. I'll probably try a beginner's comp next year. But anyway I just wanted some info on what kind of powerlifting opportunities are available in Australia.

Welcome Bro, the options you mentioned are correct.

I am starting ProRaw Powerlifting, but your not ready for that. Being Pro means prizemoney, and any lifter from any fed allowed.

This is good for the lifter who wants more comps to get better, giving him choices.

Unfortunately if you choose PA, they will ban you if you lift elsewhere.

The benefits of PA is that the IPF has the best Worlds, judging, structure, record keeping, least divisions (not including Pro Feds).

Qualifying for the IPF Worlds is extremely difficult, some very strong lifters.

Pete at Shire Speed and Strength is holding novice comps in Sydney, just had one on the weekend, excellent place to start, check out the thread.

Trust me when I say your lifts are NEVER high enough.

If you want to compete the sooner you start the faster you will progress.

lol, I don't understand what the problem is with waiting until my lifts are a bit higher before I did a comp?

Because your gym lifts might not be legal, everyone else is also getting stronger, competition is the best motivator, you'll meet lifters at comps that will help you, your lifts arent as bad as you think, it will help the sport grow, giving you more oppurtunities in the future etc

mmm.. I'd love to compete one day.. When I'm stronger... What would be considered competitive lifts around 75kgs?

Hers an example from CAPO.

At the recent Nats, I had one lifter in the 75kg Open Mens division, Dim.

He squatted 135kg, benched 95kg, deadlifted 180kg, for a total of 410kg.

He finished first, he was the only competitor in the 75kg Open Mens Raw division, at out National Titles.

One of the reasons I started ProRaw Powerlifting, to have some competition.

Using the same lifters we had at Nats, in the Raw Division only, there wouldve been 17 competitors in the Under 80kg Class at ProRaw, simply be eliminating many weight and all age classes.

You would do well at ProRaw Alex.

Thanks for the insight Markos! Looks like I would of come first if I had competed lol... Hmm.. I'll look at the ProRaw thread now.

Fantasy ProRaw Powerlifting 80kg division - Men

1. Lucas Walker - 560kg
2. Mitchell Erderley - 532.5kg
3. Michael Brook - 518.50
4. Kelly Munro - 505kg
5. Max Markopoulos - 500kg
6. Gareth Anderson - 495kg
7. Scott Watts - 480kg
8. Daryl Chapman - 460kg
9. Blake Hanson - 450kg
10. Rhys Vermisti - 430kg
11. Ben Sackville - 420kg
12. Corey Ettia - 415kg
13. Morgan Beard - 410kg
14. Dim Papaconstantinou - 410kg

There were a few boys just over the 80kg mark, so I left them out.

So at CAPO, Dim wins his class. He is the reigning 75kg Mens Open National Champion.

At ProRaw, he wouldve finished last of 14 lifters. This is not to put a blight on Dim's effort, its just to highlight why I think ProRaw may work better. I know Dim would love to be in a competition.